Opinions on Script protection software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Acadia, Jun 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Using Google to search Script protection software I am constantly finding mention of three products: Script Sentry, Script Defender, and Script Trap. Keeping in mind two requirements: I want something simple to use and more than anything else extremely low use of System Resources (all this security software on my antiquated Win98 system is killing me).

Also, am I to understand that the above mentioned three programs do substantially more than NsClean’s HTAstop. Thank you all very much.

Acadia.

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Acadia,

I use Wormguard

http://wormguard.diamondcs.com.au/

which I have found to be very good and pretty much uses no resources. It consists of a hook which when certain definable file extentions are executed it will analyze the file and go back shut back down or give a pop up which allows you to safely view/analyse the file. The program, therefore does not stay resident but it provides that type of protection.

HTH

Dan

3. JayK

JayK Poster

Windows Scripting Host (WSH) is a double-edged sword. On one hand it can be used to make some very useful scripts to automate common Windows functions (for example, the Spell Checker script from PC911). On the other hand, it can be very easy for a malicious user to make a virus using WSH. Script Sentry allows safe scripts to run on your system while alerting you if a script might harm your system. In addition, Script Sentry prevents against malicious scripts hidden in ShellScrap (hidden SHS and SHB extensions) files, Word/Excel macro viruses, malicious HTA files, and accidentally run REG files.

You can specify which scripts/files should be allowed to run and Script Sentry will invisibly allow those to run. Script Sentry is a "set it and forget it" application so it takes up exactly 0MB of memory unless it's needed. NOTE: Script Sentry is not a replacement for a good anti-virus program, but a supplement to it. An anti-virus program might stop a script virus once you update it's virus definition files, but before you do that the virus has a window of opportunity. Script Sentry simply helps close that window.

http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/scriptsentry.asp

Any more questions?

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Well, this doesn’t really answer any of my questions. How does this program compare to the other two in ease of use and system resources? Does this program do more than HTAstop? But thanks for the info.

Acadia

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Acadia - I found ScripTrap to be perfectly sufficient when I was using a freeware "script" solution - small, light on resources and effective.

I also now use WormGuard (un-installed ST after de-activating it), which does a lot more, protection-wise, but which is also similarly light on resources.

To answer your question, yes, all three programs you mentioned do substantially more than HTAstop alone, because all HTAstop guards against is HTA-related exploits - the other three warn on multiple extensions, not just HTA-related ones. HTH Pete

6. JayK

JayK Poster

No offence but try to learn how to read.

The answer to the first question (at least in terms of system resources)

"Script Sentry is a "set it and forget it" application so it takes up exactly 0MB of memory unless it's needed."

The answer to the second question

HTA stops HTA exploits, the others deal with scripts of all kinds, eg VBS,SHS,SHB, etc...

HTAstop is just a patch, Script sentry assoicates itself to various files such as VBS,shs etc, such that whenever such files try to run, Scriptsentry/scriptetrap etc will first analyze them, tell you what they are likely to do, and give you a choice to block or allow them to run. Note, you still have to make a decision, it's not going to tell you the script is virsus x,y,z , just what it will do generally, eg replace the registry, move or delete files

I'm not certain it might conflict with some AV resident proggies which routinely scan such file extensions when they are run , or at least provide a second layer of defenc.e

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Spy1, thanks much. I wasn’t aware that WormGuard also controlled scripts and upon checking Google it appears the users of WG do indeed like it. But upon checking their site I find that WG is a "payfor" product while the three programs I mentioned are free (I believe). Therefore I guess I should state a third requirement: easy to use, low impact on system recourses AND free. Thanks again for your info.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

>"Script Sentry is a "set it and forget it" application so it takes up exactly 0MB of memory unless it's needed."

No offense taken but MB of memory and System Resources are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things, although users of a modern OS need never worry about System Resources, but I do. System Resouces is measured in KB not MB.

Acadia

9. JayK

JayK Poster

Sigh. Let me stress again, it doesn't work like an antivirus protect using up system resources (however you like to define it) unless it is needed since it doesnt need to be running.

It takes up zero KB of memory except for the fewseconds where a scriipt is run, in which case it uses up about 2kb.

You use spyblaster don't you? It's similar, well kind of.

Edited. You know why. If not IM me. Pieter

10. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Acadia,

Memory usage is, indeed, a resource as is cpu usage. As to the GDI and USER resource limitations that 98/95 is troubled with these sorts of apps would carry even less impact as GDI and USER resources are primarily consumed by visual elements.

Regards,

Dan

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oops, sorry. When the Script Sentry developer was talking about "memory" I thought he was talking about RAM, I misunderstood.

Acadia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.