Opinions on .NET

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by djg05, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

What are others opinions on software running on .NET please. Does it impose a load, memory or other, to slow down other programs that might need more memory.

2. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

most of my interaction with .NET is strangely from opensource and Linux aps\installs

for instance building a bootable SLAX USB drive in Windows
    so they arent exactly resident

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

memory, it does use a chunk of ram for the framework, which for a small utility might be a lot.
    It sure does scale well, with larger apps/heavy use - it more down to how well written the code is, than the framework itself, for example I spent 10 months developing a stats based website in asp.net, where we paid close attention to optimisation due to having to pull back a lot of data. Compared to a project that I have recently joined halfway through (and smaller), I ran some server stress tests and found that there was a 5x scalability difference (in terms of simultanous pages that can be served).

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello again djg05.

This could very well be our answer from that Pimero thread you posted. ;)

Cheers.

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Yes - I did have a reply from them which in essence confirmed the above replies.

To All

Thanks for the feedback though I am still not clear about it and how running .NET affects the overall performance of m/c.

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I am not sure aa I am no developer, but a thought: if the app's code is not well written, then .NET has to work more in order to provide a more stable platform and connect all the loose ends in a client program. And by doing this, it utilizes more memory. Developers, does that make any sense?

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

.net has garbage collection and trys to close objects connectioned to external resources, eg a file, sql server etc which have not been explicitly closed,

My experience is that it doesn't do a good job of this, it defiantly does hinder performance. Its not so bad at cleaning up internal objects, strings, integers, arrays etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.