Opinions on Avira Personal 2013?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by drhu22, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Assumptions were made by purchasers in regards to compatibility without checking first. I'm not saying that Avira shouldn't have been ready though. As to the forum I find the participants are very helpfull when dealing with program issues or infections. As to fanboyism there are some forum participants who rake the company over the coals on a regular basis for the Win8 issue and others.

2. anon

anon Registered Member

Doesn't matter if you have the free or paid version, there is no way to avoid
    apnic.dll
    apnstub.exe
    apntoolbarinstaller.exe

from your "Antivir Desktop" folder..........

"one of the first things it does is try to connect with Ask.com.Even if you decline the toolbar options, you still end up with 3 files signed by Ask.com in the program folder, one being the installer. No way to delete them permanently, they will turn up again when Avira updates."
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2184487&postcount=10

:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  3. er34

er34 Guest

I do not want to defend AVIRA - their products are ~OK~ but I do not like them as a company, they do not value clients and partners.

Anyway, the ASK story - Although Ask has a bad reputation in the anti-malware community, ASK is not real malware,it is not that big problem to be taken so seriously. If you have 3 ASK files, this does not mean they are active or they do something you don't want. If you do not install the toolbar, they will just be there doing nothing. Search in the Internet for more.

The Windows 8 compatibility - as you may have notices - there are many vendors who still have issues with Windows 8 and their AV programs. At least AVIRA says they are incompatible. Many vendors who even have certification still have issues with Windows 8 and the new Office.

There are other more serious issues with AVIRA such as false positives seen often, ads by avnotify even in paid versions, not respecting clients, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
  4. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

7anon is right. Although if you run Windows Pro or higher you can go through Local Security Policy and disallow apnstub.exe and apntoolbarinstaller.exe from running. Also may as well add avnotify.exe while you’re at it and avoid that damn pop-up ad (can show you how if requested). Other than these “quirks” if you like, it’s still a good product (lightness and detection).

5. anon

anon Registered Member

A) Posted on Monday, November 5th 2012, 4:38pm - "Two months ago" => He bought the new (2 YEARS) licence" on early September.

B) Avira released the 2013 Antivirus Security Software Line on Thursday, September 27, 2012

C) "OS (Windows 8 Pro 32-bit)" => Microsoft released Windows 8 on October 26

Therefore what to "check first" :rolleyes: the poor guy?
    When he bought the lisence, the version 2013 wasn't out.

6. er34

er34 Guest

Windows 8 was RTM ready on 1st August and available for many on 15th August.
    As far as I remember, in October AVIRA started to claim (even when you first visit their site running Windows 8 ) that their products do not run on Windows 8. 2013 beta was not compatible and produced BSOD. Even if you tried to install it, it poped-up a Windows saying that Windows 8 is not supported.

The customers can't accuse AVIRA of not telling them Windows 8 was not supported because they did inform the users on time. Customers can only argue about when Windows 8 will be supported (but the second in another story). Any vendor never promised officially they will support newer OS - they may decide to never support the new Windows and that is their decision and right.

7. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

8. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

I think this still works. Haven't tested myself however. -http://www.raymond.cc/blog/disable-avira-searchfree-ask-com-toolbar-popup-nag-alert/-

9. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Very cool JimboW... thank you!

10. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

When I was using it, one HAD to install the toolbar to get the web protection.

11. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

No problem :)

12. anon

anon Registered Member

They may decide whatever they want. ... but they can't steal money for their useless product.

The solution is one: No protection? ---> Money refund.

13. anon

anon Registered Member

No need to search.
    Crapware bundled in paid products? For me it's unacceptable.

14. spywar

spywar Registered Member

About their virus lab :

They add user's submissions very quickly it's a good point IMO.

15. anon

anon Registered Member

16. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Yes, this is true. A very good point and well made one indeed!:thumb:

17. er34

er34 Guest

I do not defend AVIRA but it is your opinion that the product is useless.

You can use their product for free for 30 days prior to purchase and once you pay for it, you can get a refund in 30 days after purchase - this is in the case you don't like it or you just want refund.

After all - all antivirus programs are ever updating software - they are not static but are updated more than once per day. This is what you get from any updating software and there is no guarantee that if it works for you some time, it will work for you the same way forever. AVIRA (or any vendor) never promised officially for the public that any product will support the new OS or that their product won't change. Even Microsoft never promised that they will release a new OS version.

18. guest

guest Guest

Well .. the thing here is: if a company - seeing itself as a big player in AV business - isn't able to use the vast amounts of time they have for preparing a flawlessly working version for the new MS OS (which in case of win8 I do hate and never will use btw., also not being a Avira customer anymore, JFYI) from the start of that said OS, then I think of them as "lame duck", "idiots", "amateurs" etc. as many others do! - It's their fault and denying it doesn't help. - New OS didn't fall of the sky suddenly one day, they slept and have earned every slap on their wrists IMO!

It's not professional how things are done (@ Avira). - In fact it's embarrassing what they do. ALL of it in the last months! I don't trust them anymore, I have enough of being a beta tester for at least ONE year after every premature release AGAIN! - And I am sick of the "support" which is slow at all times (I dealt with them) and not to compare with the staff of Webroot for example which do an amazing job in my experience over years. Avira is the exact opposite in that regard. Maybe they are too big? I don't care what the reason is.

And most of all I do hate those few pricks at Avira forum that are there only for showing off their EGO and nothing else! :rolleyes: - They call themselves "helper", are whining constantly because they don't feel valued enough .. but nobody asked for THEIR "help" in the first place! - People come there because they THINK they get SUPPORT from the COMPANY with problems they have, but it's (almost) just volunteers there who can't help at all of course if the software has a bug. And it has plenty bugs! They are very slow in fixing them and my support experiences with them are really BAD in general. - If you have seen what support can look like you can't stand what's going on with Avira, sorry.

I am done with them and don't like in which direction they are going (bundled crap even for paying customers, useless "features" to justify the very same crap, they need ages to make it compatible with new OS, they do not value the single customers because they have enough of them, no REAL support forum earning that name ... the last thing I don't accept anymore. If you want to sell licenses for AV you MUST (!) have an official support forum, EOD! And it can't be staffed by other customers who are only there to show their affectations ... few of those useless divas who have such a high opinion of themselves are destroying that forum all the time. A forum, where you can't write where you want as a new user btw .. it's all so VERY bad .. I will stop now, because I could go on for hours but I don't want to spend anymore time on that declining company. :cool:

They lost me for good. I am not coming back ever and I am very happy with what I now use as AV. *puppy*

19. anon

anon Registered Member

"They may decide whatever they want. ... but they can't steal money for their useless incompatible product".
    Are you happy now? Can you use it in Win 8 OS?

Re-read.

20. The Hammer

For the Free version yes, unless you do a registry hack as VectorFool previously stated.

21. The Hammer

Well as you can see this thread isn't going to change anyones mind for or against. Give it a try, just not on Win 8 yet.;)

22. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

Avira may be many things,
    yes it does install some extra crap, the HIPS don't work on x64, it may pop some adverts now and then

But still it remains my go to for a light and secure system
    its signature based detection has protected me adequately for the last 4 years and for HIPS i already have Comodo (which is one of the strongest ones in circulation).
    The ads can be "turned off", and web protection can be "turned on" (even on free versions without installing toolbar)

I personally have no reasons to complain.

about the Win 8 compatibility,
    most of the win8 certified AV vendors are still struggling with win8 compatibility issues, at least Avira warns you before you install it on Win 8.
    yes it is unfortunate that you can't upgrade to win 8 and continue using Avira, but they are working on it :)

Their Forums are active and your issues are solved in a matter of few days to hours, the FP submissions are fast and included in next day's update itself.
    and so is the suspicious files analysis.

Although i am not using Avira right now on my PC, i find absolutely no reason not to recommend it to anyone else.

23. guest

guest Guest

Talking about "light" .. well .. you know what product I use as AV. - It's much lighter in any aspect and if you are a normal user (not using crackz etc. and surfing malware sites, keeping your system up-to-date etc.) you probably don't need any AV, at least I did not over the last years since all the AV's (realtime and on-demand, including Avira) I did run of course only found -> false positives. *not kidding here*

Are you sure we are talking about real malware or just "detection" by a product? - Many people are believing any and ALL findings of their product blindly, being proud of the good job it did (?) ... after my experience with loads of fp's with all product's I would call those fools. ;)

Well .. that's great really .. and even better: Avira can be uninstalled!!! :D

Not yet. Wait for it .. but wait :D ... you aren't even using it and were before a freebie user, right? ;) - Why would you have reasons to complain? - I was using paid version for years on many systems and had to deal with all the stuff I mentioned. Plenty reasons to be mad at them. :p

What does that mean? o_O - You mean the link is working? :D - "Active" are only the fanboi trolls which are forcing themselves in your thread first of all defending their beloved product, helping you not at all with their stupid "advise"! (Talking about the GERMAN forum here, international forum may differ!)

No, sorry. Not in my Avira world! - I am not sure if we are talking about the same forum? - Issues aren't solved for MONTHS and if you think you get HELP there you probably believe in Santa? - Just have a real problem with their software and see what I am talking about! - They are slow as snails! ;)

o_O The submissions of users may be that, but if you think they are fast in fixing fp's you have not seen it done REALLY fast! :D

Uuh .. next day already!?! :argh:

Yes. You can go on a short vacation in the meantime. :rolleyes:

:D ... if it is so good, why aren't you using it if I may ask? ;) - See, I only recommend things that I am using. - Not things which I have dropped? :D

But I believe and it's obvious that you didn't have the bad experience I had with them. And it's also clear to me that you never used a product with REALLY good support! ;) - Be prepared to be blown away and to change then your assessment of Avira. ;)

But of course I respect your opinion and let's just agree .. to disagree! :cool:

24. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

@Matde
    i have used Avira free for a year and half and Avira premium antivirus for the rest (2 1/2 years)
    as i've said before it is just my personal experience and my perspective and anything i've said may not apply to you or anyone else. So countering a specific user's experience with your own experience is not logical.

i've had a great run with Avira and have had no reasons to complain.

I have changed from Avira to BD only recently, but that does not mean that i consider Avira to be a lesser product

25. guest

guest Guest

Same goes for what I wrote of course, it's just my personal experience and opinion!

But I really urge AV developers to have a forum that is NOT operated by (mainly) customers ("helping" themselves in a so called "community") but instead active support people from the company (it doesn't have always to be the vice president though, since there's only one Joe! :D) and if it is anyway please DON'T let fanbois take over doing YOUR job as this is damaging the company and making customers (like me) angry! - That was not meant for you, VectorFool, but for Avira, maybe someone reads this. :)

Good thing then that you didn't. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.