Opinions of Comodo Firewall Pro 3.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 3xist, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

Right! :thumb: , Thanx Pete.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hey. lets part with partisan support here ok.

Theres nothing posted here that resembles disputes.

It's only comparisons between different opinions.

Keep it on a even and constructive comparison for learning purposes for members please.

3. hd_eck485

hd_eck485 Registered Member

Like some, I like Comodo 3 but the Defense+ settings were outrageously annoying. I turned it off and used the other firewall settings.

The downsides are that I use K9 Web Protection and with the latest version of Comodo, Windows would NOT boot up. After uninstalling Comodo, Windows loaded normally. Until I can find a fix, I won't be using Comodo. I also recommend Comodo OVER the free version of ZA.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well call me the skeptical but curious type. As daunted as i find myself over so many D+ pop ups, theres no way i can ignore the HIPS of it, besides HIPS is my single biggest asset i found yet in any app of this nature.

It's useful to no end, so it begs to question what me the user is not doing to balancing it out to a point of satisfaction.

I think Comodo released it as still a work-in-progress but in time am sure they can address concerns over it's functions whether small or annoying.

This is a new program altogether so it's going to take some time to gather all the right explainations we need.

Theres nothing better then having an effective firewall as well as an effective HIPS in a single form like OnlineArmor, but HIPS works differently then the network firewalls. Afterall we're dealing with application firewalling here and theres something of a learning curve to cross, but i don't feel that it's so difficult to dismiss it altogether just yet.

This is brand new ground and a little patience is to be expected.

Also, it's design belongs to it's chief architect so we need to try to look at what exactly is acceptable and what we might consider not so neccessary in certain workings of it.

All in all, i'm glad this new step is been made by both vendors, but since this Topic accents specifically on Comodo, i'll reserve my opinions just on it for sake of comparisons and discussions.

Anything to add?

EASTER

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

D+ settles down soon enough then it's pretty quiet all the way. Not a problem for me and I tend to install and uninstall things quite often.

6. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I agree and I also like the way Comodo looks. Its very formidable protection and lightness on system resources. And e that there are new features coming. However, I still worry a little bit about something happening to me like it did to someone once again that's talked about in the link below. When I used other HIPS programs. For example ProSecurity. I kept it in Learning Mode and rebooted a few times, then after a few days or a week went by I was able to take it off LM and that was that. Just curious if this type of user problem can be fixed in some way so the novice user can feel comfortable in using CFP 3.0 in the future.

http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/locked_out_of_windows_since_installing_comodo-t21644.0.html

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

That happened to me, too, during the initial release of V3. You can probably find my posts on the web here and there.

However, that was awhile ago. Nevertheless, I have not gone back and retried Comodo. I simply do not trust it.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

well i really like comodo
    but i have a problem with the last version
    i open a topic in the comodo forum , but i had not answer
    i guess it's a problem with my system only!

i can't chkdsk C: /F and chkdsk H: /F where c: is where i have xp , H where i have my pagefile

i know there was a problem with the comodo version 2 , and it was resolved

does somebody here can perform a chkdsk C: /F with reboot?

9. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

When you download comodo and use Defense plus, run it it learning mode for a few days while you go through your routines. Then switch the fw and hips to train with safe mode. When ever you're installing something, tell it to treat it as an installer and click yes to enter install mode. If you install programs that you trust tell it to treat them as trusted applications. It's actually very easy to use Defense+. If you do these things you'll be absolutely fine.

10. waters

waters Registered Member

Tried it for a week now.Since i put it on and run utorrent ,web has slowed down too much.Was ok before with vista firewall and with webroot.Shame because i like it very much.

11. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

That's weird. Comodo is know for not really affection p2p transfer performance. Did you setup utorrent as a trusted app?

12. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

@waters ok it's a stupid question, but did u disable Vista firewall?

I had no web, P2P problems when first installing Comodo. Also which AV are you using?

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

did you try chkdsk C: /F and reboot make file system check offline?
    it keeps 10 seconds

14. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I would not recommend running chkdsk with the latest versions of CF3 + XP SP2. The problem is somewhat related to the known offline-defrag failure issue. There is a possibility of an endless BSOD loop (normal and safe modes) after invoking chkdsk at next reboot. If you want to try it, I would have a recent disk image ready to restore ;) .

Nick

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Sounds serious enough they should make haste and remedy that potential problem before users enter departure mode from it.

To recant but more rebuff my earlier comments the D+ HIPS seems to be in relatively good working order.

The chore comes in setting the levels as you all know from lowest learning mode for a time to safe mode and on up the ladder to tight coverage.

Theres still some work cut out for new users like myself to get everything under the belt concerning proper implimentation and correct decisions but overall i am very impressed with the leap forward in this that Comodo'd made.

16. waters

waters Registered Member

No antivirus at the moment.Yes utorrent was set up and speeds were ok.Uninstalled and it asked for reboot.Restarted and it nearly did,entered password and then problem,the whole screen went red then blue then black and so on.Switched off then restarted and all is ok.Dont know what that was.Vista firewall was off.Will wait for Online armor and antivir 8.

17. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Does the same apply also in Vista? I've run chkdsk up to 10 ten times till now and never had a BSoD!

Am I lucky? :ninja:

18. zorbis

zorbis Registered Member

when i was using it, i noticed that all i was doing it was "nursing" the damn thing 24/7 (i.e. pending files, submitting files for analysis..etc); got rid of it and start enjoying my pc again..not for me thanks.

19. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

20. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

On the Comodo download website it mentions Comodo Plus as having A-VSmart technology, but not Comodo Free.

Is this the Antivirus Realtime protection? I thought Comodo Free had the A-VSmart technology since day one?

Also when will the fixed CHK DSK version be released? Thanks.

21. 3xist

3xist Guest

Hi Guys,

Egemen (Lead Programmer for Comodo & Admin) has stated that the next up date for CFP 3 will be next Tuesday or Thursday. They have fixed other bugs too :)

3xist.

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The good ones always do and don't beat around the bush while complaints come flooding in.

We'll see just how "fixed" it is.

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes GREAT

24. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Comodo Plus have the A-VSmart warranty, their cleaning warranty. Neither the free or the plus version have a real-time AV.

IMHO their warranty is not very useful as it requires that defense+ is continuosly operating in Paranoid, Train with Safe or Clean PC Mode and the firewall in Custom or Train with Safe Mode. Both must not be modified by the user.

25. 3xist

3xist Guest

Well... I use "Train with Safe Mode" for both Firewall & Defense+. Clean PC Mode & Train With Safe mode, are the most common setting people use, and recommended... So it's not really a problem! This is only My opinion.

3xist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.