Operating Systems.

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by ellison64, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Hi...
    Im just wondering what is Diamond Cs intentions with older operating systems such as 98 in regards to future releases of tds3/4?.I notice that free programmes like process explorer dont support 98.Is that because the newer systems are more vulnerable? or that the older systems are becoming obsolete and are not worth bothering with.?
    tia
    ellison

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Using win98 too, like millions of other people, and it's not DiamondCS style to leave such endusers unprotected, doing whatever is technically possible to keep our systems protected, but we do see for ourselves the whole world grows to XP and the kind of advanced systems.
    Technically -- better said the technologies used in Process Guard are so revolutionary and only possible in the winNT/2000/XP/2003 systems, it would call for a complete different approach for the win9x series.
    On the other hand, it seems these older systems are at times less vulnerable for some exploits or certain trojan code, but in many cases they are just as much attacked and maybe less able to recover with using for instance a system restore and other ways not really possible for the win9x series.
    Anyway, as long and as much as possible we'll find DiamondCS on our side to keep us clean, but it's a good idea to try to put some moneys aside to grow to the newer systems and doors our beloved software will open all of a sudden for us when we are able to upgrade!

3. ellison64

Thank you for reply....
    I of course meant process guard not process explorer in my earlier thread as you have guessed.It is encouraging to know that theres maybe still life in the older operating system (apparently as much as 25% of users still use 9:cool:,and programme vedors will still do thier best to support these systems.Personally i loathe to "upgrade" to XP. Maybe the next system will be better :)
    Thanks again
    ellison

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I wont upgrade to WinXP, but Windows 2000 has all the benefits and less bugs :) Its pretty great.. just what suits me anyway :)

Upcoming scanners (TDS Wormguard) will support Windows 98 at least, and most likely Windows 95 to an extent. Some features may be less powerful or not present, but usually this means OS exploits / trojan features are missing on those platforms too.

However, it is better to be running an NT based OS - Windows 2000 or XP if you want the protection possible in ProcessGuard, and of course the stability of 98 is famously.. not so good

5. ellison64

Thanks for reassurance...
    To be honest ive never found any real stability problems with 98 as long as its limitatuions are recognized.A good resource meter like quick resource ever present in system tray,and a cpu meter to keep a visual check of things that may hog all the cpu power , and of course good registry house keeping is all thats ever neded to keep it ticking over nicely :)
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.