Opera

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WSFfan, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

How many of you use Opera as your main browser?What are the things you like about Opera?

2. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

mouse gestures, e-mail client, tab stacking, turn off/on java script, cookies, sounds, animations how you like it, no need to download any addons, being independent from google (no need for a gmail account in order to use the mail client etc..), speed dial with all your favorites as big buttons, fast enough at least for me, comes clean without any stupid built in links for facebook, twitter and **** like that. You're almost forced today to use these services. I hate when products are released with facebook links etc that say "Like us". Especially when they're security programs like panda for example...I always come back to Opera.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I used Opera as my default browser for around 18 months. I liked its lightness, customisability, content blocker, notes & search capabilities (being able to easily add search engines available as a context menu). This was before Opera even had extensions. It isn't my browser of choice any more, but it still has a lot of potential. I will definitely give the 64 bit version a test drive when it's released.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I used Opera as default browser from many years. I love his features, his security - never security risks - his flexibility, his customizability, the widgets - also if I don't use often them -, all his options, his GUI and the infinite skins....:)

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

6. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

i've used it as my main browser for about ten years now. i keep firefox as a secondary browser for any site that opera may have trouble rendering - somethin that doesn't happen too often.

i first learned about opera and began working with it after coming across this page on this site: http://www.searchlores.org/tuttiope.htm
    of course that page dates back probably 8 or 9 years so now it's dated (and the owner has sadly passed away) but back in it's day, the site was the bees-knees, a real site for seekers of knowledge..

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  7. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

I always have Opera as one of my two. Not so much in the old days when Opera couldn't log me into anything but that's the long distant past now so forgive and forget and all that. What I love about Opera?

1) It's Norwegian, go proud little snowmen!
    2) It's not Californian, they have way too much of my software money already.
    3) Tiny company: the little browser than can :)

All their great innovations:
    4) Speed Dial;
    5) Password Wand;
    6) Separate tabs and stacking;
    7) Opera's unique implementation of private browsing that enables you to use private and regular tabs concurrently within one window and loads Speed Dial in private tabs;
    :cool: Integration of mail,
    9) Bittorent client,
    10) And of course its unequalled customisability both of the browser itself and through Content Blocker of the www.
    (Isn't 10 a great number? What would I do if there were 11!)

What I'm not so fond of: After their bursts of creativity and improvement they always spend ages just sitting on their laurels, which is why 'All their great innovations' were made so long ago. And specifically that to be honest Opera's performance is really not cutting it any more. Perhaps this is just me but ultimately that it takes to reason 4 before leaving idealism and comparing it on its own merits as a browser: if this was some Californian megacorporation's product I probably wouldn't look twice at it. And that isn't a place that most companies would want to be in the long term.

8. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

What about Opera beta 12 speed comparing to Chrome?

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I haven't tried the beta 12, but in all honesty, Chrome isn't the benchmark that you should be comparing it to for speed. There is no real discernible difference between Firefox & Chrome these days IMO. Plus, I'm convinced Maxthon (as another WebKit based browser) is the browser to compare Opera to for speed & a host of other things, such as functionality, customisation etc.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

First I used it around 1998. It was at 10x faster than IE on dialup. Just got used to it. It's like the Linux of browsers. Hardly anyone uses it, it's very secure & if you know how you can tweak it anyway you want.

11. jima

jima Registered Member

The fit -to- width feature.
    Also, when I open multiple tabs one after another, they open much faster than say, firefox; and if one hangs the others aren't stuck until it finishes.

12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

The copy to notes feature, edit individual site prefs., tabs features, adding buttons to do almost anything you want, sessions .. too many features to mention. Have used it since first available without ads.

13. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

Opera tweaks and tips for increasing performance are welcome.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Can you explain and link where you understand it to be "very secure"? Not to start an argument over browsers, but my understanding of it is that it's not very secure at all and lacks quite a few things others have in terms of security. The browser itself can be great, if you can put up with its issues, but secure, not really.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

My suggestion is to take it easy and don't load up on all sorts of things at one time. You may have trouble trouble-shooting then. And learn to give proper weightage to the "ambient noise". Opera is very customizable but it requires patience. All the best :)

16. chrome_sturmen

have you taken a look at opera extensions? they enhance or add functionality quite a bit. a couple to maybe look at to start are adblock for opera and ghostery. also if you have the security icon on opera's interface it'll tell you whether the page you're presently viewing is secure or not, and other relevant information

17. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

Thanks for the tips.:cool:

18. chrome_sturmen

no problem - here's another.. this is a page for customizing opera buttons, alot of these you can drag directly onto opera's interface allowing you to personalize the way you want. maybe now you get an idea of how customizable opera is.. http://24.224.169.70/

19. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I agree. Never had security issues with it; extensions could help to enhance that concern, like Opera AdBlock.

BTW, Opera runs like a charm with SandboxIE.

20. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Well said :) I can't add anymore, my feelings precisely, every single one.

21. chrome_sturmen

any, other questions?

22. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

How to backup Opera Speed dial settings for future use?

23. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Use Opera Link to backup your speed dial.

24. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ CSKfan, you can also copy "speeddial.ini" file that is in ""%AppData%\Opera" folder.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.