OPERA v7 Final - Released!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WE Sim, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi!

The above is released. Grab it now!

:)

2. root

root Registered Member

Thanks! Looks good. My mouse buttons work now and the bookmarks have been fixed to show alphabetically.
    Also have a go button now. Thats all I've noticed so far.
    Speed seems the same. Fast/faster, depending on the website.

3. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

root,

After using it for 24-48 hours would you mind taking a minute to post your thoughts?

John
    Luv2BSecure

4. root

root Registered Member

Sure. If I forget, give me a swift kick to jog my memory. :D

5. root

root Registered Member

Hey John, this puppys looking rock solid to me.
    They changed a couple of the popup menus, and I wasn't happy with it, so I went into the menu.ini file and made some changes. Love it. There are several ini files you can modify to suit your tastes with a little playing around. (Back em up first)
    Theres getting to be more skins every day. You have lots of control over the toolbars.
    Page rendering is improved. Speed stays good.
    Cookie handling is super, and if you happen to get a popup, it gets pushed to a background window
    I love it.

6. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I have had a problem with Opera 7 since the first beta, and it still persists in the Final version. If I click on bookmarks, and then one of the sites that I have listed, lots of times opera does nothing, it just sits there. So far, here is all I have been able to narrow it down:
    1. If I go from bookmark to bookmark without clicking any other links, it works fine.
    2. If I go to a bookmark, then click around other links within that site, when I go to click another bookmark it does not work.
    3. Also the highlighting of the bookmarks as my cursor hovers over one does not work.
    4. I have found a workaround. If I click on the address bar first, and then go to my bookmarks, all works fine.
    5. I am a paid user of Opera and have emailed them with this bug report three times (beta 1, beta 2, and now the final), but so far no response....

Is anyone else having this problem?

Regards,
    Kent

7. root

root Registered Member

8. puff-m-d

Thanks root,

I just went to the link you posted and posted the problem....

Thanks,
    Kent

9. root

root Registered Member

You are welcome.
    Did you import those bookmarks from Opera 6, and if so what file did you import?

10. puff-m-d

root,

I imported the opera6.adr file from opera 6..... I changed to 7 beta 1 as soon as it was released, so I am afraid that I do not remember the location that I imported it from. I have Opera 7 set to remember bookmarks by user, so my bookmark file is in C:\Documents and Settings\puff-m-d\Application Data\Opera\Opera7\profile\opera6.adr

Regards,
    Kent

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I installed Opera 7 last night.I basically started over,uninstalled the old Opera,cleaned the registry and installed the new version.No imports of anything.It is an improvement I think.I like the "Wand" for pass card management.This version seems faster than version 6.05.I haven't had any problems with "Hotlist".I think I will de-activate the mouse gestures though.That's the only feature I'm not very enthusiastic about.(human error)I'm going to log some surfing time on this browser and see how it performs on various sites.It's been very fast and stable so far.

12. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi guys :)

Root, in a previous post, you said "They changed a couple of the popup menus, and I wasn't happy with it, so I went into the menu.ini file and made some changes."

Can you be more specific about what didn't suit you and the remedies you applied ? In my bookmarks list, when the mouse points to a folder, all the folder's items are displayed (which is nice) but, contrary to Opera 6.05, the items are displayed over the menu 's folders list (which is not), so many of the other folders names are out of sight. :(

Also, couldn't get the Orbit Skin to work on version 7 Final. Do you know if the Version 7 compatible Orbit Skin is to be found anywhere ?! Which Skin do you like best ?

See you later...

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

13. root

root Registered Member

Crockett!!!! HI!!! :D
    I moved the tabs to the bottom and when I would right mouse click to close the window, close page was at the top of the menu, so I moved the close page to the bottom.
    Also when you right mouse click on a link, the top entry was open, and the next line down was open in new page, so I moved that to above open. Both changes we just to minimise mouse movement. Watch how you cut and paste to make the changes to keep the exact format. I know, I'm wierd. :doubt:
    I know what you are talking about with the bookmarks thing, thats why I have four folders and 14 frequently used bookmarks on the personal bar. I love to use the personal bar. I don't know how to control how the bookmarks show, but maybe someone at the Opera forum could help. There are some sharp people there.
    I go to my.opera.com to get skins. Make sure you are downloading the button set for version 7. Orbit should work. I am using CDll_Elza, with sand color scheme. Will attach a picture. It doesn't show the color well, and I made the picture small so the personall bar doesn't show the links properly, but believe me, they are readable. MetalBlue 07B2 is a good skin too.

Attached Files:

• CDii.gif
      CDii.gif
      File size:
      32.4 KB
      Views:
  14. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi Root :D

Thanks for the specifics. I'll go and try the Skins you mentioned and see which one suits me best...

BTW, seems the ad-banner stuff is a thing of the past, even on the non registered version. The guys at Opera.com probably decided to cut it off to become more competitive with the everlasting Internet Explorer and the continually improving Mozilla browsers !? I don't know exactly why they decided to remove the banner, but it surely adds some space to the window. :)

I tried the fixed-size approach as far as the cache/history slowing down the cpu is concerned. At first it seemed to work well, but then I could sense the browser was getting some difficulty just operating. So I switched back to the automatic mode... o_O

See you...

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.