Opera & Physical Memory?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by OddBod, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OddBod

OddBod Guest

HI folks

I not long started using processguard (was using 3.050 & now 3.100) Even tho i let learning mode do its thing, i still get alerts from PG that Opera (7.6beta 4) is blocked from accessing physical mem (usually on sites that have a embeded media player or play a video, but on others to

I know IE & Maybe even firefox need to access the mem, just want to know if it ok to give Opera the same rights

Kudos to DCS for such a great security app which is very light on resources (unlike PrevX lol)

Cheers

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi OddBod
    Should be OK but if you do not lose functionality then a few alerts can just be ignored, remember that the Opera process cannot be changed once protected by PG.

HTH Pilli.

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi OddBod

I use Opera 7 + 8.0 beta, and i haven't had any alerts from PG that Opera is blocked from accessing physical memory (access physical memory is not checked) at all. :)

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

This is most likely not Opera itself but Java applets in the web pages. In my experience, Sun's Java Runtime Environment (which Opera uses) will attempt Physical Memory access but this can be blocked with no ill-effect.

5. bornewbie

bornewbie Guest

On my box, it sometimes got crashed at some sites with java stuff embedded in webpages.

6. OddBod

OddBod Guest

Cheers folks for the help.

It does have a affect here when blocked as in the video doesnt play (just a black screen also & this will be hard to describe, but just as PG alerts me, in opera its like the browser shudders (ie no movement & animated gif's slow & stall)

Since IE & Firefox seem to be recommended to be allowed to use that setting, i think it ok to let Opera use it also (besides IE lets thru all sorts, hence i only use it for windowsupdates & use mainly Firefox or opera (which i still say is faster at loading displaying pages) for any real surfing :)

Thanks again :)

7. James K

James K Guest

I recommend you keep physical memory access set to off, I have noticed some sites attempting to gather information through java which leads to an alert from Process Guard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.