Opera --> New Stable Version Released!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It is available on Majorgeeks which I know some people don't find acceptable, but after installation the Opera "About" page identifies it as a "Stable" build.

2. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

It's also available on their [Opera's] FTP as I linked above. But still no announcement / changelog.

3. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Let me know when Opera allows you to change default search engines. I find it unacceptable that the only options within Opera are the NSA controlled search engines. I also don't like how they removed the option in about://flags to disable 'fraud check' - why would they disable the ability to disable Opera dialing home constantly.

I've switched to Yandex Browser (really good!) until Opera gets it together again. If I am going to use another Chromium Fork, it might as well be one with the features I want, and no incessant dialing home. Opera has really dropped the ball IMO.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i download from here
    _http://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/20.0.1387.64/win/Opera_20.0.1387.64_Setup.exe

5. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

That worked - thanks.

Still no ability to change default search engine. Fraud-Check disabling is still missing.. It still dials home every other web page. :thumbd:

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It's released now
    http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/unified/2000/

http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2014/03/opera20fordesktop/

7. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Security fixes:

Opera 20.0.1387.77 update
    http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2014/03/opera-20-0-1387-77-update/

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Opera stable 21 has been released.

11. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

The mod(s) on the comments sections must be on anti-depressive drugs. I know I would if I had to respond to those questions.

12. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Some more info on changes that are not in the blog post:
    Opera 21

Release notes

Release date: 2014-05-06

Fixes and stability enhancements since Opera 20

General and User Interface
    Opera 21 includes updates to the latest Chromium/Blink release, version 34.
    Opera for Windows 21 has enhanced its user interface by deploying Aura, Google's new UI framework. You can read more about Aura in the Chromium pages.
    Opera for Windows 21 now uses a network installer. The complete installer, for installing offline, can be found at opera.com.

New features

Complete URLs
    Make Opera display a site's full URL at all times in the browser's advanced settings.
    New security badge
    Opera now displays a broken padlock for secure sites that have invalid security certificates.

Improvements since Opera 20

• One-click install functionality for extensions.
    • Stability enhancements.
    • Enhanced support for Chromium extensions.

Yes, I've stopped reading all those comments, I wouldn't like to be a mod there..
    Though I admit, while the new Opera is very fast, they made some bad choices IMO.
    This new version finally has the ability to show the full URL, but you must enable advanced options first. I get that they want to market more to the casual user, but they could've left an option to show the full URL when they removed it, and a year to implement such a simple option is a long time.
    I think it is also a pity that they chose to support Opera 12 only with security fixes when new build introduce new bugs.
    They are also the only major desktop browser that allows all mixed content incl. active content:
    https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html

13. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Still no proper bookmark support, Opera have treated the users like myself that actually paid for the browser years ago really badly, every other chrome based browser has bookmark support apart from Opera, they have ignored numerous requests for bookmark support to be added back.

They should look at MS to see what happens when a software company ignores it's users, MS did away with the start button & start menu & have had to backtrack adding back the start button in Win 8.1 & they will also be bringing back the start menu, they ignored their users & it affected them with so much bad publicity & negative opinion & lack of sales that they HAD to add back the features that users wanted. Opera should do the same & add back bookmarks instead of the silly speed dial & stash features.

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

It's still over again ... complaints for missing bookmarks and rage on speed dial & stash. I for one prefer speed dial & stash over conventional bookmarks. I got used to these features and actually I like them. They seem to me more clearer, eye-catching and always at hand. Moreover if I don't want to bother finding a webpage through speed dial or stash, typing in the address field immediately brings suggestions for the saved web pages in speed dial as well as in stash. So, sorry to say but I really don't understand all that fuss around bookmarks.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The addition of hardware acceleration is quite significant. I'm surprised that hasn't gotten more attention - must be because everyone is so annoyed about the bookmarks issue :ninja:

16. pegas

pegas Registered Member

You're right. It's a shame that users ignore, in light of the bookmarks campaing, all good Opera things like its speed, unparalleled mouse gestures, off-road etc.

17. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

@pegas you may like features like stash & speed dial but I don't, other than them ignoring their long term users it is a very fast browser but then so are all the chrome clones.

18. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Well, in my opinion, it's a bad clone. I can't really see why would someone use this clone instead of the source. They don't have a Linux version yet and the most irritating thing is their ambiguous crap they say since they've released the clone last year.

19. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

does this version offer the customizations that the earlier versions of opera did? e.g. mousegestures, ability to drop folders/buttons onto the panels, various customizations etc? im still on 12.17 ;)

20. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I prefer Opera over Chrome actually. I think the UI is better done and I quite like the stash and speed-dial. Though I would welcome a full bookmark functionality of course.

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    is there a way to import thunderbird contacts in opera mail (great portable email client) or in opera 12 ?
    thanks

22. pegas

pegas Registered Member

An update to Opera stable 21 (21.0.1432.67) has been released.

Full changelog

23. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

I don't think a browser should be judged solely on whether it has bookmark capabilities or not, but I find it strange how they are ignoring so many user requests to bring it back. From what I have seen, longtime loyal users are already mad enough about the company pretty much stripping out everything that made Opera the special little browser that it was. The very least the company could do is give that one little piece back.

24. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

What's more incredible is that in the past they advertised those features. Now they tell us that those things are bad, that we need to have a simple browser and that the advanced stuff should be provided by extensions.

25. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Well, that's a problem with a lot of these companies now, deciding what users "need" and how they should work. Power users shouldn't lose options simply because some users won't tinker. Leave us options, and those who want to tweak can tweak, those who don't will still have a 100% useable browser.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.