Opera --> New Stable Version Released!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Yes, AES-GCM brings protection for some of the TLS attacks.

4. Daveski17

OK thanks. In your opinion how does Opera (now v18.0.1284.49) compare to Chrome in terms of 'out of the box' security?

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

I'm not sure, as I don't know how much of Opera is the same as Chrome/Chromium. If you look at it with ProcessExplorer, almost all processes have Untrusted integrity level, so apart from the SSL/TLS library, it seems to have inherited the sandbox as well.
    I like that it installs in Program Files by default instead of User folder like Chrome because you need Admin rights to write to Program Files.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

7. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Is that extension safe to use?

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks. Are you aware of any other Opera extensions that improve security along the lines of Calomel SSL Validator, Perspectives, HTTPS Everywhere, etc?

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

I am not sure, I don't know what checks are done before something is posted on Opera's addon site.
    I haven't found any unfortunately, but if Opera is so similar to Chrome, perhaps the developers can create an Opera version as well if they are going to develop a Chrome version. I'm also not sure if all addons like those you mentioned can be done for Chrome-like browsers, as Firefox addons have way more access to inner browser stuff. For example there still isn't a proper NoScript alternative for Chrome afaik, there are some but quite buggy from what I read, and even if they would work it still only basic allowing and denying domains. NoScript also has some more advanced features like XSS filtering, ClearClick protection, ABE, HTTPS cookie management etc.

10. Daveski17

It sounds quite secure. That's got to be a good thing. I use the WOT & Dr.Web Link Checker extensions for a bit of extra security.

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi

opera 18.0.1284.63
    _http://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/18.0.1284.63/win/Opera_18.0.1284.63_Setup.exe

12. BoerenkoolMetWorst

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

How come I've got Opera 19.0.1326.9?

Just been checking the About Opera option & this is the version I have.

:doubt: :doubt: o_O

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Probably because you're on the Next channel. There're 3 Opera channels:
    1) Opera stable (build #18 )
    2) Opera Next (build #19)
    3) Opera Developer (build #20)

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I suppose neither stable or developer has bookmarks? Stupid, stupid Opera.
    Been using it since there was a paid version.

Well TY.

~ Snipped as per TOS ~ to Opera though.

They did a ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ POOR job of making this known.

Jeez I'm so FN addicted to 12.16. I try Next, FF, Dragon & none feel right.
    D*** you Opera.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
  16. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

You have two options, basically:

1) You bite the bullet and use the QAB/Bookmarks bar;
    2) You wait indefinitely for them to improve the above (because proper Bookmark management will only come when pigs fly).

or I guess three:

3) You move on (to another browser)

I'm guessing we'll have decent bookmark functionality by the time Opera 26 comes. Or maybe I'm being too optimistic. Opera 30?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
  17. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I wonder: are the Opera's developers humble enough to understand and to admit that they were wrong ? I'm afraid that this is the problem.

18. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Probably not. If they ever acknowledge that they were wrong, they'll most likely hide it. They'll bring back those features but without admitting "defeat", if you understand what I'm saying.

They're still operating under the (wrong) assumption that only 10% of their user base actually use bookmarks. They're basing that on the very small sample of people who, and I quote:

Source: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/findpost.pl?id=14523632

What they failed to understand is that pretty much all of Opera's minuscule user base is comprised of "Power Users" or whatever you'd like to call them. And you know those users will say no to such a question.

They also failed to realise that the dumb "Facebook generation" masses just don't use Opera. They were trying to cater to them (people who will never(1) give Opera a second look) while neglecting and pushing away their loyal user base. Companies that abandon their niche to try and get the mainstream's attention generally fail, and fail hard.

(1)Try to look at it from an average Joe's point of view:

- The old Opera wasn't "cool" nor popular. It also didn't work well with a lot of websites and didn't work at all with many others. Considering that, who would recommend Opera to an "average" user?
    - The new Opera is, currently, barely more than a Chrome clone(2). Why should people use Opera when they can use Chrome and be "trendy" and "hip"? All of their friends either use Chrome or Firefox.

(2) Even if they add back all the features, they still won't win. You know the masses don't care about integrated e-mail, RSS or proper bookmark management. They only care about having access to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, and little more. And the loyal user base might be too fazed / angry at them to even care.

/rant.

Let's see if they're truly changing their ways.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  19. OuterLimits

OuterLimits Registered Member

HTTPS Everywhere is available for Opera. You can actually use any extension for Opera from the chrome store and most Opera extensions can be used for Chrome/Chromium also though you have to change the file type to crx when moving an Opera extension to Chrome/Chromium download it and drag it to the extensions page.

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/download-chrome-extension-9/?display=en

20. OuterLimits

OuterLimits Registered Member

You can install Chrome in program files also. That's how I have it.

21. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Yes, I know, that's why I said by default.

22. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Agree. I 'm enough open mind :D to use speed dial, I use it for my favorites sites, but I have over 700 bookmarks.......

23. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

I'm trying to use the QAB/Bookmarks Bar but it's so incomplete. Sites that are in the QAB don't show up when you type part of their URL or name. They have to be in Speed Dial for that to work. And they are pushing the QAB as their Bookmark solution.

I mean, really Opera?

24. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, originally I also couldn't get used to Opera 15+ (Blink). I dearly missed all features, modules and full customization of Presto Opera. However over time, as new builds are released I am getting more and more under the skin of the new generation of Opera and I dare to say I already got used to it and in fact I like it. All important modules I was used from old Opera I replaced with extensions (Opera and/or Chrome) and the new philosophy of speed dial (including bookmarks) has caught me. Its speed, well it is from another universe comparing to other competitors. So all in all, I am a satisfied user. I still have Opera 12.16 installed but I don't use it anymore. One day I am sure I will uninstall it and will solely use Opera chromium and I guess this day is not so far.

I don't want to start flames, just sharing my experience. :)

25. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I have 300 bookmarks. This is soooo stupid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.