Opera --> New Stable Version Released!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Stash is virtually the same thing IMO. A bookmarking toolbar would be a good option though.

2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Few notes based on parallel installation of v15, so maybe few things got fixed in v16:
    - No MHT (mhtml) format for saving a web page as a single file; it's back to the old fashioned html with its need for a separate directory.
    - No Tools-QuickPreferences where site-specific settings are normally done. That's an insecure scandal IMO.
    - No opera:config or any equivalent, at least I didn't see one in v15. There are various files, like Preferences, not .txt format, so useless.
    - No bookmarks is true. Bookmarks can be brought into Speed dial - an unacceptable feature even though multiple items can be in each Speed Dial item. If you save bookmarks in v12 Opera as html, Opera 15, and I suppose 16, presents them in a very inconvenient way, so even that is not a good substitute.
    - No option to change the size of rectangles on Speed Dial
    - No Fit-to-Width on badly built web pages which are too wide to display correctly even on a 1280 pixels wide screen.

As far as installing two versions: I only tried the v15 tragedy and it installed into a separate directory from 12. v12 files and my settings aren't affected. That's about the only good feature of this new disastrous version.
    Non-v12 opera data is stored separately here, at least on XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Opera Software\...

I'm sure they have no plans to correct these and other flaws. And I have no intention of leaving v12.

3. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Just install them to separate folders. Click on the Options button that is on the bottom left of the install dialog and you can chose the folder. I currently have Opera 9, 10, 12 and 16 installed and I can run them all at once. I can't run both Opera 11 and 12 simultaneously or 2 separate instances of 11 or 12--ie installed and portable--but I can do that with Opera 10.

There is a bookmarks add on to the new Opera but it isn't anything like the old bookmarks menu.

I'm staying with Opera 12 as one of my main browsers. I don't like the trend of dumb downed browsers. Firefox is going that way too, albeit in slow increments compared to what happened to Opera. I'm glad Seamonkey is staying the way it is and has been.

4. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

why are all these browser vendors trying to clone chrome?

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ever since Chrome came out and captured a 10%+ market share pretty quickly, everyone else has been imitating it. Go figure.... :)

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Except I heard stash can't handle 250+ bookmarks like I have. Not even close. Stash is just like Speed Dial? If so 16 is worthless.:cautious:

7. Daveski17

I'm not sure exactly how many bookmarks Stash can handle. It probably could hold 2-300 bookmarks I should think. Plus there is a search box to find them rapidly.

Stash isn't a speed dial, the only thing I can recommend is to download Opera 16 & see for yourself what you can do with it.

I honestly think too much is being made about Opera losing its bookmarks, technically you can still make them (in Stash or speed dial).

I think Opera ASA just tried to reinvent the wheel with this, or are just skinning the cat in a different way. o_O

I haven't really missed bookmarks on it. I do think that they should add an optional bookmarking toolbar though.

8. Daveski17

Technically it is actually being steadily improved. :D

9. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I agree and it it isn't being made simpler and dumber. I find myself using Seamonkey more and more.

10. Daveski17

I've been using it since version 1.1.12. I also use the PortableApps version quite a bit. I have always used it a lot, even though I often use other browsers at times. I think that a lot of Opera users will probably migrate to SeaMonkey, just as many K-Meleon users did. I have a feeling many Firefox users will switch to SeaMonkey after Australis as well.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´ve checked it out on my pc at work, of course it´s still a joke, but I do think it will become better. The question is how much time will it take. :rolleyes:

The only thing I do like is that extensions now actually work, I always had problems with Opera v11/v12.

On the other hand, I really hope that the Presto engine will become open source, let´s all support this: https://www.change.org/petitions/opera-software-open-sources-of-presto-engine :thumb:

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ok lol. I installed it alongside 12. Made new folder Opera Next, installed there.

On Speed Dial one orangish tile is labeled Bookmark importer. So I click on that & all my 12 bookmarks are there all ~365 of them. I'm thinking oh boy this is great everybody missed this, aren't I special. So 1 at a time I click Convert by every single bookmark.

I look in the Menu for my imported Bookmarks. Can't find them, no magically newly created entry that says Bookmarks.

So I open Speed Dial. Yup, all 365 Bookmarks are on Speed Dial. How stupid. :p

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

by the wat , i guess opera 16 is only 32bit

is amazing fast compared to 12.16 64bit ,isn't ?

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

opera 16.0.1196.80 released

opera 16.0.1196.80 released

sadly can not find the changelog o_O

_ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/16.0.1196.80/win/Opera_16.0.1196.80_Setup.exe

15. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

16. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

Won't run on Windows XP SP3 here. Crash, check for update, crash, check for update, rinse lather and repeat !!

Going to try once more but if that is the way it is, back to Iron browser for me.

rrrh1 (arch1)

17. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Maybe bookmarks will come back with version 17. :D How can I change the start page? :doubt: Hm ...

18. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Fixed ;)

19. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Bookmarks will be back in Opera 18, it's already implemented in their developer version you can download on their website.

20. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Any word on when/if Opera Chrome will have a mail service like the Presto Operas?

21. Daveski17

I'm not too bothered about bookmarks in Opera per se, but a bookmarking toolbar would be a good idea.

22. Daveski17

I very much doubt that Opera ASA will implement an integral mail client.

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    is there a way to change the speed dial background with a custom jpg?
    outside the the 4 default style

24. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

25. Daveski17

We’ve reached out to Opera for a statement from its side of things.

Update: Here’s Opera’s statement:

We like FastMail a lot, and will keep working with them as a partner, much like we do with many other companies. Email is not such an integral part of the strategy as it was in 2010, and a company like Opera always must consider if the best solution is to own- and run it’s own services, or to not own, but partner with others to deliver them. In this case we agreed that the best way to move forward was to let FastMail’s employees buy the company back, and continue working together as partners. ~ op cit

Kinda says it all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.