Opera Dropping Presto In Favor Of Webkit?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mman79, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Tweeks? Hahaha. It's a joke if you have to do that to make that thing actually work,

2. PressAnyKey

PressAnyKey Registered Member

Opera is an international company with offices all over the world, so that should not be the issue.

The problem is if Netflix is either blocking Opera or relying on undocumented bugs in other browsers that Opera would need to add workarounds for before it can start working. Those workarounds don't come about overnight. For more details, read the comment just before yours.

Didn't you read my reply to you here? The fact is that most sites aren't tested in Opera, and some rely on bugs or undocumented features in those browsers. That Opera still works with just about all sites is quite surprising if you consider how little support it's getting from web designers.

Actually, it means that Netflix is actively blocking Opera. In other words, it's saying that "you are not IE/Chrome/Firefox, so you don't get working code".

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. PressAnyKey

PressAnyKey Registered Member

That's the case for all browsers. When I used Firefox there were lots of bugs that were never fixed, and the same is now the case for Chrome as well. That's because browsers are complex beasts.

Again, that goes for all browsers. The difference is that sites fix bugs in IE, Chrome and Firefox on their end.

I don't think you understand. An RC is not supposed to have a lot of fixes. It is not supposed to fix all bugs either (any piece of software is going to have known bugs in every version).

An RC should have few fixes because only the most critical fixes (the ones severe enough to prevent the release from going out) should be added.

4. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

No it isn't. AFAIK, Netflix only works 100% in Opera if you tweak Opera to mask as another browser (Firefox) when browsing netflix.com or movies.netflix.com - and this may be evidence that Netflix is trying to block Opera. So, the problem is in the site, not in the browser.

5. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Correct, Netflix is probably blocking it on purpose.. Netflix is a trashy company, so I wouldn't put it past them.

6. Wild Hunter

Lol, I just found a webpage that doesn't work 100% right with Opera here:

http://www.linux.com/news/featured-...-react-to-rumors-of-microsoft-office-on-linux

The problem is when I click on the big-blue-with-white-text "Read More" button to read the final of the article. The button does nothing.

So I put that webpage to test at http://validator.w3.org/ and I saw many errors. Maybe one of them is relevant to the problem, maybe not.

Maybe it's my config, some extension, etc.

Anyways, I reported the issue to Opera on the browser (Opera button -> Help -> Report a Site Problem...)

7. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

It works properly here.

i don't even need to click the button, it clicks itself and the rest of the comments appear...

8. Wild Hunter

So it may be a conflict with some extension or some specific configuration here. I'll try to find the offender :).

9. Wild Hunter

I just found the culprit! It's related to the referrer! But on a different domain.

I always disable the Send referrer information here. And creating a Site Preference with this option enabled for www.linux.com didn't solve the issue. I had to either enable Send referrer information option globally or create a Site Preference with the Send referrer information option enabled for www.storify.com in order for that webpage (http://www.linux.com/news/featured-...-react-to-rumors-of-microsoft-office-on-linux) to work 100% right.

10. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

11. Wild Hunter

lol.

Before we get our proverbial pitchforks ready, let's give the new browser a chance, at least.

12. Wild Hunter

Opera officially announces gradual transition from Presto to WebKit and Chromium

http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2013/02/13/

13. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

absolutely not.

do not want.

this is a mistake.

14. Wild Hunter

TBH, I "perceived" that this would really happen. I even tried to do my small "part" by frequently posting positively (without lies and/or exaggerations) about Presto as much as I could in the last weeks, LOL... but it has no salvation, apparently.

We can only hope that Opera won't make a poor 13th version... wow, very unlucky number for Presto.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  15. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Re: Opera officially announces gradual transition from Presto to WebKit and Chromium

R.I.P. Presto :'(

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Re: Opera officially announces gradual transition from Presto to WebKit and Chromium

I know it's the engine only, but I feel like Opera itself is dying.

17. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm very disappointed. I will miss the Presto engine. If I want to use Webkit I may as well use Chrome. :gack:

18. Daveski17

I am

as gobsmacked

as well mate.

RIP Presto :'(

19. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Didn't read the whole post, are they going to use Webkit on Android and iOS only or on all platforms?

20. Wild Hunter

They said they are moving to Chromium as well (which means multiprocess tabs and all those other modern improvements, etc).

Maybe, just maybe, this will be the right combination?

The security of Chromium, the speed/compatibility of WebKit and the feature richness of Opera.

Might as well be a buggy mess for years. lol

21. Wild Hunter

First on Android and iOS, but in the end, on all platforms. More info on the move: http://my.opera.com/haavard/blog/2013/02/13/webkit

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I wish opera wouldn't do this. I started using opera a few years ago due to the features that opera has standard that other browsers either do not have or require addons for. If opera continue with their feature set with webkit as the

I do feel that webkit will now become the new IE6 and web developers will get lazy again which is a horrible situation.

23. Daveski17

Maybe it will end up like Safari for Windows? o_O

I don't honestly know. I doubt I'll use it when it switches to WebKit. I'll certainly give it a spin, but I have never totally got on with WebKit engined browsers.

24. Wild Hunter

Maybe I'll return to Firefox if the new Opera happens to be a bug rainforest. :p

Or maybe I'll switch to Chrome...

I try to keep only two browsers ready to be used, IE and something else.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  25. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The start of the end of the Web. I haven't used Opera in a few years but this is definitely the worst news I've read all day.

It is perfectly summarized by this article:
    http://arstechnica.com/information-...patches-to-webkit-to-aid-touch-compatibility/

Ultimately even the combined power of Microsoft, Google, Mozilla and Opera couldn't get a specific feature introduced into WebKit just because Apple put its foot down.

Trumpet the open source excuse all you want, with WebKit Apple is in command. Last time 1 company was in command of the web IE6 happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.