Opera Dropping Presto In Favor Of Webkit?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mman79, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Dave, are you on the 13 snapshot or not brave enough for that yet? I thought I'd give it a whirl.

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

The latest available snapshot is of Opera 12.13.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2013/01/17/twelvethirteen

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, that was hell. It's a snapshot so I didn't expect a flawless ride, but I'm happy to be off of it. I can't believe how slow that is, and of course the page rendering issues are still out in full force. Plus that awful problem of being forced into mobile versions of websites is still around. Terrible experience for me all around, even though I know the mobile site issue isn't really the fault of Opera. All this happens in the stable release as well, though it's at least slightly faster. Bookmarks are screwed up too, you can't import any from a file..and I HATE this "folder" thing like IE 10 makes you do. I don't want to make bookmark folders, I just want bookmarks :thumbd:

Are we sure Opera ASA isn't secretly being ran by Oracle now?

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Is this browser worth a look.is it quite fast etc.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well you can read my experience with the snapshot just above your post. As far as the stable release goes, it has some of the same issues for me, though not quite as severe and the speed is definitely better, though not by a huge amount. Obviously others have had a different experience, but I can only speak for mine.

6. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

It's a great looking browser, everything makes sense it it (generally). The speed dial is the best out. Only issue is - it lags behind Chromium in speed, stability, and rendering. But if the rumor holds, then that should be liquidated with Webkit.

7. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I generally avoid Opera snapshots and betas, as they can be really bad sometimes (personal experience).

But I don't see any of those issues with Opera 12.12. Maybe it's something specific to your machine? What sites/webpages are buggy on Opera?

Try to report the buggy sites/webpages (as well as other bugs) here: https://bugs.opera.com/wizarddesktop/

They usually fix them fast after reported.

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm using 12.12 (Build 1707). I know Opera too well to try any of the snapshots. I admire you test pilots though. ;)

9. Daveski17

It seems that Opera 12.12 is quite controversial at the moment. I'm finding the x64 & x86 versions run excellently as a whole. I am using it as my default browser on my x86 notebook & it is as fast as, if not faster than Chrome. On my Win 7 x64 machine it is even faster.

It seems that some are finding it really fast & working well & some aren't. Until you try it, I don't think that you will actually know on your system.

10. Daveski17

This is only your subjective experience. It isn't true for me & many others.

There have been rumours about Opera for as long as I have used it (about five years) & none of them have ever been true.

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

ArsTechnica and TechHive were the worst offenders. They both forced mobile and neither one fully rendered the pages, TechHive being the worst instance. This was on the Opera 13 snapshot however. 12.12 had these issues for me as well, though not as seriously bad as that snapshot. I think it's less machine and more what websites one visits plus the browser. These sites were rendering fine in other browsers.

The snapshot is what it is, a brand new test run, so it's expected to have issues. I'm just sad that it's the same issues that are par for the course with Opera for so long now. At least in my own experience.

12. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

neither site goes into mobile version when I visit them in the latest Opera.

I'm not having any of the trouble that you or other users are having with Opera in this thread.

it hasn't crashed once and pages are displaying quickly and accurately...

13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, like Daveski said, she's a beauty for some, a beast for others...although he didn't put it quite that way :D *shrug* For all I know the thing has an intolerance for certain people or machines, lol.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I want to like it... So, whatever makes it faster is good by me.. :)

15. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I still have a gut feeling moving to Webkit would at least help some of these issues..but..I get Jeffrey's point about not being tied down to one particular way and I'm sure Webkit has its own issues. Asking for perfection is pointless, I just get a little weary of seeing the same issues release after release.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I know... after trying for a while, if it doesn't work for me, I just have to move on...

17. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

That's me too. I can investigate and try a different way to make something work for only so long, then I look for alternatives. I'm not even thrilled with Chrome right now as I feel it's slowing losing its feel as the releases go on. Wanting an x64 browser that's fast, customizable and feels right, Opera is in a good position to hold my attention if it can just get these persistent issues dealt with. I would love to see them scoot past the 5% share mark, and would cheer them on happily if they crept any higher. IF Webkit solved some of these issues, and maybe it wouldn't even make a difference, but if it did, they'd have a good chance at rising up. Of course if they also don't start marketing their own creation in more than just the fansites and cubby corners of the web, it won't happen.

18. The Red Moon

I have been using opera for the past two hours and i cannot see any noticeable difference in speed between opera and comodo dragon...I like this opera browser although i dont know how secure is it.
    What is its malware and phishing protection like..?
    Thanks.:ouch:

19. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's phishing protection is top notch. I don't think you could get any better at that than Opera right now. Security as in defenses against browser attacks? Totally different story and basically in the same boat as Firefox. It's a single process browser that uses a plugin container like FF, which is more about stability than security. Other than that, not much security to be had unless you count being one of the few to use it as a security measure. I don't.

20. The Red Moon

Thank you Mman79.:thumb: i think im going to stick with this for a while.See if there are any decent extensions i can use.:doubt:

21. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

be sure to install Ad Muncher, it works great with Opera. :)

22. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Opera 12.12 + AdMuncher 4.93 running great together here on XP.

23. Daveski17

ABP

WOT

cleanPages

VirusTotal

DuckDuckGo for Opera

Are among my favourites.

24. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Yeah Admuncher and Opera is awesome, frankly the Opera API is terrible, so the only extension I use is Admuncher, and it works great. Replacing 2 major extensions (DNTME, ABP), making my browsing faster, and safer. Currently I have switched to Opera12.13x64 since they fixed some nagging speed issues with the 12.13 revision.

Major thing I love about Opera is the speed dial, its very functional, sexy, and DOES NOT force what to put into there like FF and Chrome - which absolutely pisses me off. Also I love how themes go right through the browser, even speed dial. It's great looking; http://www.anony.ws/i/2013/01/13/Dev7C.jpg But Opera makes sense.. Have some tabs open, go to Speed Dial, click an open one and you can add an existing tab. Bookmark a tab, and you can pin it to speed dial at the same time with 1 keystroke. It's just brilliant, and not this 'forced' speed dial trash in Chrome and FF that annoy. Lots of tweaks make opera even better.

25. The Red Moon

@daveski17.....Thank you very much.:thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.