Opera CEO Lars Boilesen predicts future of web.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ocky, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

All you'll need is a web browser ten years from now

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! o_O

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

We'll see. Proprietary tech will ALWAYS be with us, so I don't agree there. They love to just put HTML5 tech in one single form, but they forget about the different codecs that are already being fought over now, when full adoption of HTML5 is years away. So that already shows that not everyone is going to use one single form of anything. The desktop is still going to be doing well for a long, long time to come...unless we know of a mobile phone with 1Tb+ storage capacity and full-blown graphics cards to play high quality games. I know, I know, cloud storage. I'll be waiting here for a disaster at a server farm to happen and watch this little fad to die, because it IS going to happen if the idea gets popular. Anyway, yeah, I've heard everything he's said before.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I hate the idea of a total cloudos. its bad enough now when you lose internet but if computers had a Cloudos then every device would become a brick if the internet went down. current home internet connection are no where near reliable enough for it to work plus I want my private data to remain on my device. why should everything be in the cloud? computers can do many task without an internet connection such as play games,write letters compose emails, listen to music watch movies etc.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Privacy, security, your own personal program preferences, very likely safety and performance tweaks, you can likely say goodbye to it all. There will be enough problems with mobile, you put this stuff on a desktop and, well, that should be entertaining, to say the least.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Funny, about a century ago people were saying the same things about the electricity supply when electrical appliances entered the scene.

You understand that computers and OSes won't be the only things evolving, right? Personally I find it an almost foregone conclusion that we'll soon be enjoying stable Internet access with multiple redundancy levels on just about every device, like how we're enjoying electricity and municipal water supplies now. And even then, HTML5 is well-prepared to deal with offline scenarios.

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

:D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.