Opera and Mail Service

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I use Outlook Express exclusively.
    I upgraded Opera a few days ago and now when it starts there is a splash screen that says.
    "Before you can use your mail feed messages, Opera needs to update your mail database to a new format. Would you like to do this now?"

There seems to be no way to disable it that I can find. Any help?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

What happens if you just click Yes?

Im most certain you can ignore Opera's mail component if you dont want to use it.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Good question? Also why do these splash screen messages have to be so cryptic? Explain why i need to update to a new format and then I can tell you if "I want to do it now".:rolleyes:

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't know. I hate to click on something that I feel sure I am not going to use, but maybe it would be OK in this case.
    I'll wait awhile and see if anyone else has used it. I could always click Yes and if I did not like the results remove Opera.

Thanks,
    Jerry

5. The Hammer

Big C is your man. He loves Opera.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Well, I just clicked "Yes" and it did its thing in an instant. I don't see anything different in my OE or Mailwasher.

I guess that will get rid of the splash screen, and if I see any problem I'll ditch it.

Thanks for the comments. If anything goes awry I'll post it.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Yep, I love Opera. After clicking yes it shouldn't bug you anymore with that popup. Operaweb mail is not bad but I don't use it either.

8. The Hammer

The question still remains what happened when you clicked yes? What exactly did Opera do and why did it need to do it?

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It was probably an update to the opera mail program would be my guess. I haven't even created an account for Opera mail so I don't get any popups concerning the mail. But I imagine that is what it is.

10. The Hammer

Sounds reasonable thanks.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    I have not used the Opera mail program either. However, once I did try to send email from a link, and recall that Opera told me that I would have to configure the mail program. When I clicked it I saw it was not what I wanted and closed it.
    Maybe that was the reason the screen came up thinking I was using it. Anyway, after "Yes" it is not a problem now.

I appreciate the help, All.

Regards,
    Jerery

12. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

The new version 9.5 uses a different database for the inbult mail program. While email can be upgraded from the previous release 9.27to the new database used in 9.5, afaik this cannot be reversed.
    I suspect that if you do not use the inbuilt mail module, this change to the database does not affect you at all. If you want to know more details, check out the Opera forum. The users there are very helpful and someone more knowledgeable than should be able to explain this better.:D

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, and have a good day.
    Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.