Opera - Ads

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by FluxGFX, Jun 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Is there some sort of program out there that would prevent banners ads and let us specify a list to remove banners like with Adshield 3.0 on IE but for Opera?

2. StAnger

StAnger Registered Member

http://www.schrode.net/opera/url_filtering/index.html

3. illukka

illukka Guest

hi
    zone alarm pro!
    put domain advertising.com on your blocked zone

4. FluxGFX

illuka..... Zone Alarm Pro.... no sorry already got a firewall..... just need something to filter the ads out and beside Zone Alarm pro needs workout before it can actually be has good has LnS ;)

5. FluxGFX

StAnger thx for the infos ;)

6. StAnger

StAnger Registered Member

If you need any help on implementing the filter list, let me know.
    Or does it have to be a program?

7. FluxGFX

Doesn't need to be a program, just wanted to know if there was something I could do about it in Opera ;)

8. octogen

octogen Registered Member

I have Opera connecting to the net through Proxomitron. It effectively blocks ads.

9. FluxGFX

Octogen,

I've used it..... and uninstalled it. I can't sacrafice speed just for that. I have a 1.1mb DL / 300k UL.... using proximitron cost me to drop to the speed to a 56k..... now if it wouldn't be doing that, that would be great.....

10. JayK

JayK Poster

Never happened to me. Another option would be to use your firewall to block ip ranges from which Opera obtain ads. I think opera uses cydoor ads server.

11. littlesister

littlesister Guest

is there any way to block Opera's ads in their freeware version or would i just have to pay for the non-adware version?thank you :)

12. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

Hi Octogen; do you mean you have a filter to block the top banner bar ads in the freeware version of Opera?

I use both Opera 6 and Opera 7 with Proxo with JD5000 configs, but no joy on the banner ads..

I do block the ads...

. removed detailed instructions - LowWaterMark

dmc
    :)
    [hr]
    - Hey DMC, I agree with your thoughts (in the next post below), and I think it is necessary for us to go further than just advising people to not break software license terms. Wilders does not support the posting of instructions to circumvent any software licensing terms. Thank you for understanding. ;)

13. deadmanschest

:) Thought I should also mention, I do not begrudge the Opera banner, altho it takes up real estate, its a small price to pay for some excellent software...They have to fight the M$ monopoly somehow.

I don't want to condone blocking the ads, as they are quite upfront about it when you use the freeware/adware.

I did the original banner ad blocking because way back when I first installed Opera to replace IE there was some controversy over the use of the CyDoor Ad Servers, and I, quite legimately in my view, decided to block the Opera banner ads on principle and because I knew little or nothing of internet security.....

Its up to anyone who chooses to block the Opera freeware banner ads to decide if you're a jerk or not...and /or violating the licence.

dmc

14. FluxGFX

I've installed Proximitron again and it still decresease my speed, probably cause it's going after HIGH ping servers I don't know, just that what ever I do with proxo everything slows to a 56k or even slower or notworking.

15. deadmanschest

Hi (High) LowWaterMark - Don't mind in the least, just didn't think...You are absolutely entitled. Actually I should not have referred to 'violating licence terms' as that probably raised a red flag unnecessarily.

Last thing I want to do is go offside with Paul, the mods and others, who have so happily rendered help/ advice to me in the past.

However, I did not mean that blocking the "xxx" Servers would be a licence violation, I just meant generally that one should consider whether that might be the case in doing so, or whether it 'fair'.

I did just read the Opera 6 and Opera 7 licence.txt (s) and I think it would be a stretch to say that it is any violation of the licence to do so. The violation would be to improperly obtain or use a registration code to remove the ad components from the software.

I think what I have done, and originally posted as a solution, is perhaps no different than adding the "xxx" Servers domain to Hosts or perhaps via a blocklist in Proxo...But always a good reminder.

Thanks again.

dmc

16. illukka

illukka Guest

hi
    i personally( after reading the license thoroughly) don't think that using third party software to remove ads is a license violation... such a thing is not even mentioned in it. license violation would be disassembling/hacking/reverse engineering or whatever in purpose of removing ads...
    since applying zapro rules i have had only one ad(buy opera). it seems that the ads are downloaded into the cache of opera from advertising.com. my opera uses three different servers to load ads, and i've put all three to blocked zone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.