Opera & adblocking for dummies...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Due to a few persistent sites evading Opera's content blocking I have installed Fanboy's Opera list.

This is probably simple for most people but it can be a bit complicated on Vista/7.

1/ Turn off the UAC (Control Panel/User Accounts) & let the computer re-boot.

2/ Type C:\Users\'Your user name'\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera into Windows Explorer.

3/ Find the URL filter & open it.

4/ Copy & paste the list/lists of your choice into the URL filter.

5/ Turn UAC back on.

6/ Surf more safely without potentially annoying or infected ads.

EDIT

After trialling this method I have discovered a few problems in various mail sites. I have removed Fanboy's list & I will have to investigate further.

Sorry. :oops:

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Do these steps have to be done every time the ad block list at fanboy's is updated? Or is the list updated in Opera automatically?

thanks

3. Daveski17

I'm pretty sure that you have to repeat the process, rather like in SRWare Iron. However, in real terms I find that ads don't start to slip through again for quite a while. I think I haven't repeated the process with Iron 4 for three months now.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

can you Run As Admin whatever app is used to open that filter and then navigate to the location open the filter and copy paste?

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Why so many steps and so complicated ?

I've also used Fanboy's Opera list and all I need to do is to download Fanboy's urlfilter.ini file from his site and copy it into your Opera profile folder. To know where your Opera profile folder is located, see Help -- About Opera --Paths.

Very simple.:cool:

6. Daveski17

I spoke to Fanboy on his forum & he recommended this method to me. I'm sure your method is quicker, but I was used to doing something similar to my method in Iron. The UAC in Vista can be a bit of a pain... There are many ways to skin a cat! ;)

As long as it works eh? :cool:

7. Daveski17

I'm not sure what you mean.

8. Daveski17

Also, since I've done this I've noticed that I can't use Rich Text Formatting in Hotmail, no matter what User Agent I spoof. I don't know whether it is a result of the adblocking or the Microsoft Vs Opera conflict.

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

There's no need to turn off UAC, since it doesn't protect your user profile folder. Try it for yourself.

Well, so does taking off your pants before you fart... :D

You could try renaming the urlfilter.ini file and seeing if RTF works. If it does, then it's the adblock causing problems.

10. Daveski17

The file won't save in the url filter if you don't deactivate the UAC, it's the same in Iron.

Doesn't do anything for the egg on my face though...I have been having a few problems in Gmail & Yahoo! mail as well. I have had to remove Fanboy's list unfortunately. :oops:

It looks like I'm going to have to look into this more closely...I really thought I was being clever as well...looks like I'm the dummy! o_O

11. Daveski17

I've spoken to Fanboy on his site & he's looking into it.

12. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

While you're at it, I'll give you some input. I've been using Fanboy's list for a while and discovered it breaks the layout of several forums and Youtube.

Example:
    http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6144/sshot20100424162209.png

I found out by accident that the list "with Stat/Tracking Sites" doesn't break those sites. I think he should look into it, don't you?at/Tracking Sites" doesn't break those sites. I think he should look into it, don't you?

13. Daveski17

To be honest I find that his lists for (SeaMonkey) ABP & SRWare Iron work well. He admits Opera has been a bit of a challenge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.