Opera 11 is finally released !

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yes under the opera main tab at the top go to help then you will see check for updates

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i dont think that checks the extensions since thers a newer version of one extension im using available to download on the extension site but the version i have still says its older and doing that check for updates says im all up to date still

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, I think that is just to check for the browser itself to update. It's just dawned on me as well that there appears to be no way to update Opera extensions without manually installing from their extensions repository.

4. firzen771

seems so, unless they auto update at certain time intervals that we dont have open access to see... im not sure tho but this is definetly a major oversight.

5. Daveski17

Yeah, nothing new there from Opera ASA. ;)

Edit: I've just noticed, this is my 1000th post!

6. firzen771

haha, gratz, and i do hope someones pointed this out to Opera, its kinda hard to believe they never figured something like this out themselves tho...

7. Athletic

Athletic Registered Member

Not working for me. I removed urlfilter.ini file, ads now i can see but MSN Hotmail not working.

Also tried ''mask as IE'' and other site setups...

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And after the 1000th post he rested ....

9. Daveski17

Cheers! To be honest though, it's an old old story with Opera. They have great ideas & the Opera browser has great features. Unfortunately there always seems to be some problem with something. I hate to say that sometimes they appear a bit 'half-baked' but that just about sums it up.

10. Daveski17

Well, I was knackered! ;)

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Opera 11 is finally released.

100% Agree with that! :thumb:
    Opera misses extension others have, BUT I wish it was Only that...
    There are Content-related problems (Web-Page Rendering), too.

12. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Is there anyway to stop the installation of Opera from adding itself (re: due to the Unite functionality) as exceptions to the Windows Firewall?

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

14. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Thanks for the answer. The items you mention all help to prevent Unite from running after installation. And this is very important stuff!

But beyond that, what I am specifically interested in is the (active?) process Opera uses when ran for the first time/or is installed where it adds itself as Windows Firewall exceptions. I am wondering if a way even exists to prevent this? For reasons beyond me, apparently Opera's developers can't imagine someone not wanting to change their firewall settings for the installation of their browser. For me, I can't imagine why I would ever want a web browser to change such a fundamental safety setting.

I guess that from time to time, I'll keep asking and hope that some day, someone from Opera will begin to grasp the issue from a safety aspect... :(

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Think about it this way, Opera has been running Unite for quite some time, has it ever compromised the security of the systems on which it is installed on ? ;)

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That's like calling Mac secure because it has a lower marker share, a.k.a. used less, a.k.a. not as targetted. If you think Opera is secure from exploits you're very mistaken, Unite just opens another target which isn't necessary. There is no "secure" browser.

If I recall correctly, you could turn Unite off in about:config, no? If it's adding rules at install, just delete them?

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That's a really terrible way of thinking about security. It's no different from Linux and Mac users believing that their computers are more secure than Windows machines, when in reality their "security" is simply due to hackers not bothering to spend time on them instead of any inherent technical merits.

18. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

If what you said is true, why has Unite not been targeted and exploited o_O
    Are all these security agencies and hackers sleeping ? :p

Yes, if one is paranoid about Unite, you can turn it off in opera:config.;)

Opera is as secure as any browser can get.

19. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Rather it's the hackers who knew how secure Opera is and has been.;)

Opera has earned its secure browser reputation over these many years and you think they are going to add Unite and allow it to ruin its reputation.:cool:

20. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Not really, that's just an extremely dubious leap of logic on your part.

21. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Re: Opera 11 is finally released.

This is the reason why I still can't get myself to using Opera despite the strong recommendations by some folks here and elsewhere. I've tried hard but keep failing...

I'm not giving up though...just slowing down and sticking to what works for me now.

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Stands to reason. For any software, the larger the surface, the more linkages, the higher the theoretical possibility of presenting a vulnerability.

I downloaded Opera today and will see what can be turned off, especially the "social" aspects that I don't need.

Incidentally, ctrl+B in text boxes opens the bookmark panel. Chrome finally saw sense and changed that to ctrl+shift+B, leaving ctrl+B for the more common use of bolding text in text boxes.

23. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Then you need to show proof that Opera is vulnerable and has been compromised by hackers which you will NOT be able to.:p

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

* If you have any FACTS to offer about Opera, I would be very grateful to read them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Opera 11 runs well on my machine. As to its security -- or the security of ANY browser -- I never depend on the browser itself to protect my computer's groin. I have better guardians. Perfect? Probably not. However, if a Nasty should ever get past my security wall, I got a Donk. (Namely, Keriver Image).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
  25. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Are you serious?

I hope you're just really, really taking to heart Opera's previous plea to their fanboys to troll for them online, because the only other possibility I can think of would be that you're really THAT ignorant. Assuming you're not trying to troll, which part of "not getting hacked ≠ secure" do you not understand, so we can explain it to you again, slowly this time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.