Opera 11 is finally released !

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

adblocker from fanboy is working good here,xp,sp3

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i was referring to a proper adblock extension, having to keep replacing the urlfilter.ini isnt exactly what id call an efficient or intuitive replacement. i just hope someone (perhaps the actual adblock plus people since theyre doing a chrome one now, hopefully :p) will make a real adblocker that works well, not simply an ad hider like the current adblocking extensions

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think that an extension adblocker that actually worked properly for Opera would seriously boost its popularity. Even I'd be tempted to give it another chance as a browser, well, if they developed a WOT or Ghostery extension as well maybe.

4. firzen771

ye WOT wuld be nice but im not bound to it, id like ghostery more than WOT, but a good adblocking extension is really quite essential and one of the few extensions (along with lastpass, but Operas alredy got that now) that bind me to a browser (firefox)

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

just updated to the newest dev chrome they hit version 10.. i have to say opera feels just as fast if not faster

6. firzen771

jee, talk about major version changes, chromes newer than all the other browsers yet its already surpassed most of them in version number (except Opera, but im sure it will soon as well), at this rate theyll be at version 30 in no time lol... they shuld probly lower ther version name changes a bit

7. Daveski17

I once got a trojan from a flash ad in a Russian site when I was using SeaMonkey's (Google) translator, I didn't use an adblocker in those days. I'm pretty sure a good adblocker (as opposed to merely hiding) would have prevented that. I won't use Firefox or SeaMonkey these days without ABP, NoScript, Ghostery or WOT. I think Firefox/SeaMonkey with that lot & SpywareBlaster is pretty secure!

8. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Well, if you want to use or test/compare many different browsers, another option would be to use something like Proxomitron or Admuncher to protect all of them at once under the same umbrella. No more need for almost all those extensions. And it can make it more easy to pinpoint your choice,
    imho.

9. Daveski17

Yes, a good idea, but they aren't freeware are they? ;)

10. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

A powerful alternative in Opera is to globally disable all plugins and globally disable javascript. Then, when you need to use javascript or flash on a page, simply right-click, choose 'Site Preferences', and enable the options for the domain you're currently browsing.

Using this approach can protect you from a large quantity of flash and ad-based attacks. Even if there's a malicious advertisement on a page that you've enable plugins and javascipt for, the first thing those attacks usually do is redirect you to another domain where a javascript exploit launches. If you've globally denied javascript and appeal to a whitelisting approach for plugins, then this kind of attack is rendered toothless.

Additionally, the new ability to only enable plugins on demand in Opera also helps to reduce the number of unwanted flash ads and protect your system! Sadly, they don't allow the 'plugins on demand' option in Site preferences pane.

11. Daveski17

Isn't NoScript just easier?

12. ruinebabine

Proxo sure is.

Well, we can in all previous versions!
    O_site_prefs.png
    (v10.63)​

Is it new with 11th (i did not install it yet)?

13. firzen771

i think ther is a noscript like extension for opera as well if thats what ur looking for, i remember seeing on in the extension catalogue, u might wanna take a look ther

does proximitron work on win7 x64?

14. ruinebabine

Yes, Proxomitron (+ most recent sidki ruleset) works perfectly for me on win 7x64.

15. Daveski17

I had a look at it but I couldn't make much sense out of it. I will probably try & figure it out one day. To be honest, I won't be using Opera until they make a decent adblocking extension. I tried Fanboy's list once & it just broke too many pages. As I'm not a software engineer I just didn't have the patience or ability to figure this out. Iron's internal adblocker was no problem!

16. Daveski17

Oh, OK cheers for the info. :thumb:

17. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

01.jpg

Not drawn by me.:p

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Is Chrome (not pictured) the meteor out of the photo about to make them extinct? :D

19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Nice improvements, especially the new url/search bar or whatever it's called. Though I'm not really a fan of the automatic url shortening. Also they still score only 8/17 on the browserscope security test, just like 10.63. But except these downsides, Opera 11 is nice :)

20. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

No, its already being globbered up in the stomach. :p

21. firzen771

has anyone noticed that the opera extensions that have icons next to the search bar seem to change order wen u restart the browser each time?

22. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

23. Daveski17

24. tusque

tusque Registered Member

That isn't really an 'on demand' preference where you can pick and choose what plugins on the page to display. You can do that with Opera now, but not on a site by site basis. Site preferences just give you an all or nothing choice.

25. tusque

tusque Registered Member

You can right click on the 'web' button on the left of the address field to and select to 'show full address' to get the http back. For the trailing end of the address, go to

opera:config#UserPrefs|HideURLParameter

and uncheck it (and remember to save).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.