Opera 11 alpha release... (Has now gone Beta)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Eice, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Re: urlfilter.ini has gotten more complex?

Is to be used on Opera Link...

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

The urlfilter.ini I am using does not have the UUID numbers.:D

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

That is because you don't use that option in Opera Link, or you don't use Opera Link...

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

by the way the adblock sucks compared to the firefox compontent:thumbd:

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Not true. Its simplicity is unmatched and it does its works well.:D

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ur kidding right, ive seen ur posts in the other Opera thread as well and its really starting to look as if ull praise anything in Opera regardless... the Adblocking ability in Opera is pathetic and the extensions it curently has are no comparison to firefox's, and having to manually put in a urlfilter.ini file is not something that should be praised, its archaic, but ur way of saying it is a good way to sugar coat a sad attempt at adblocking. im just hoping for some adblocking extensions that actually work well eventually.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

In Opera 11, I want to hold down the ctrl key and left-click on a link to keep me on the present page but open the link I clicked on in a new (background) tab.

Any idea where to set this?

Currently, it's ctrl+shift+left click. Ctrl+left click opens the link in the same tab, the same as simple left click.

8. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Remind you of the recent infamous Firefox's firesheep extension incident.:thumbd:

I think the simplicity of just adding a urlfilter.ini to do adblocking is great and more superior to having to install extensions.:cool:

Also you can just do a right-click on your webpage and use "Block Content" to add and customize your urlfilter. Nice.:-*

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

WOT seems to work well on Opera, & NotScripts has potential, but I've given up on the adblocking, extension or internal. I more or less only use Opera to stream live TV or BBC iPlayer anyway. It's useful to just have a spare browser to do that with. At least it's light.

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

my bad, by an extension that actually works well, i mant an adblocking extension that wuld work well :p i use other extensions that are working pretty well, just adblocking seems to be the hurdle.

and tbh i am loving Opera 11, its my main browser, ther are enuff extensions to choose from that fullfill most of my needs that ive ditched firefox for it (im simply using Ad Muncher as an adblocker, and its nice).

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

One off topic post removed. Discuss the software and not other members.

12. Daveski17

I used to use Opera as my default browser. I've always thought that it had a great potential but it was breaking too many pages for me, so I took it off default. I really wish the adblocker extension worked though. I had problems with its URL filter as well. I still keep Opera on my laptop (although not on my desktop PC) as it can often be quite useful there. Maybe they will sort the adblocker out one day, I'm not holding my breath though. It's like I said once on these forums (& I got trolled for it) Opera would probably be the best browser on the Internet, if only it worked properly! ;)

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used Opera since version 1.0 and have always liked it. Some versions in the past weren't as good as they could have been in my opinion. But since I have been running version 11 I haven't had any issues with it at all. I can't comment on the adblocker as I don't use it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  14. Daveski17

If you don't mind me asking, do you use any form of adblocker? I got a trojan once through an infected flash ad (on SeaMonkey). Ever since I have used a browser adblocker.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I know my problem is not as profound as A versus B, but can anyone help? The closest I got was a suggestion to use a javascript for this (which I don't want to do).

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

You're saying that almost as if you're trying to imply that Firesheep is a negative to be counted against Firefox's extensions system. I honestly can't see how any but the most ignorant can believe that. Firefox's extensions system suffers from its own (numerous) drawbacks, but Firesheep isn't one of them; in fact, it's a classic example of how powerful and versatile Firefox extensions can be.

Sure. You believe that having to navigate through the OS file system to drop a file multiple folders deep within, an adblock whose filter can't be updated without closing the browser first, does not auto-update the filterset, does not preserve your custom additions to the filterset when you update it unless you manually do it by hand, does not handle element hiding, does not provide an easy way to disable specific filters for specific sites, is better than an install-and-forget extension?

Uh, sure.

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I prefer the urlfilter method, in fact Tamil's list blocks more for me than all the others - maybe it's the sites I visit. That together with toggling javascript 'on' for webpages that are trusted works well for me.

Opera and IE are also the only browsers that natively support saving of webpages as web archives (mht) so one doesn't land up with a folder containing all the images when saving as html with other browsers. Firefox and Chrome need extensions for this.
    Some things I don't like are that a number of https banking and related sites don't work with Opera - usually because those sites don't support the Opera browser, probably due to it's miniscule market share. I therefore only use Opera for general browsing (95% of total browser usage).

Chrome(ium) is starting to look good for me, but having used Opera since the first free version (#Eight) was offered, I cannot tear myself away - there are too many great features built in. :doubt:

18. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

sigh......:blink:

19. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Not possible. http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/ways-to-open-in-new-tab

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, even if it's not possible, thank you very much :thumb: ! Your other answer helped me with the context menu and so now my "mouse gesture" has become right-click, move right, left-click!

As you can guess, I'm considering learning a few mouse gestures ...

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i guess only addsweep (the opera component) is working

22. Daveski17

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.