Opera 11.10 codenamed "Barracuda"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Glad they got that done and out the way, now they can concentrate on 11.50 which is where it gets interesting.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

How? If anything at all, they are behind. I'm with Elapsed though, 11.50 will be the version to compare other browsers with.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

is true that the install include a portable install ?
    thanks

5. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

agree...11.50 plays my soccer channels on justintv very nice,,no freezing
    only problem was a slow atartup

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I bet you aren't wrong! ;)

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's gotten better. There is still the issue of some websites not playing nice, but I'm afraid little outside of websites themselves changing their tune, will fix that. I'd still love to see a more functional ad-blocker, the manual labor currently needed kind of sucks. Extensions need a lot of work, very few work properly, and there are still so very few.

8. korben

korben Registered Member

IMO it works better than ever before, esp flash.

One minor thingie though - the blinking bin above the search box - how to make it inanimate again? My settings for special effects are appropriate, i.e. unticked. What then?

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i don't like the speed dial , i liked more the old
    for example for flickr it does not load the page and make a thumb
    but there is an icon

to me the Version 11.01 seems more fast then 10.10

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I took a look here (-http://www.opera.com/browser/features/#security), and still no sandbox... o_O

Don't Opera developers consider a sandbox a great concept? Or, do they lack the skills to implement it? Or, do they consider that, because their user base isn't that massive, compared to IE, Chrome and Firefox, their browser isn't at risk?

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I highly doubt its an issue of skill, but perhaps they would need to do a complete overhaul of the browser? Chrome was built to have a sandbox all along, I'm no programmer, but surely it would take some overhauling to add a sandbox in. I imagine they, for the time being, are just as fixated on speed and HTML5 as everyone else. A very low user base could be a reason, but, imho, it's a stupid reason to skip out on security features. Sandboxing though in itself is not the best thing in the world. It limits damage, but it may not prevent it. I prefer vendors work to keep their products from being vulnerable to attack in the first place, rather than worry about containing them.

No, that doesn't mean I'm doubting the usefulness of sandboxing. I'm simply saying to concentrate on not needing to contain or dilute a threat.

12. m00nbl00d

I understand what you're saying. I agree. If, in this case, a web browser has secure code, then no need for sandboxing. But, the reality is that they have no idea whether or not it's secure (who knows what future will bring to us), until a security vulnerability comes out, and reported by the good guys. The same is not to say the bad guys aren't in possession of none.

I want to believe this is one of the principles behind IE Protected Mode and Google Chrome sandbox - to mitigate to the most exploits, and even make them quite difficult from being successful.

It's just my opinion, but I believe one of the reasons why Opera team hasn't done yet, is precisely Opera not being widely used, hence not being a preference for the attackers to waste their resources on.

Yes, Opera team would need to redesign how Opera works... that is, to properly make the target processes to interact with the broker process (the one that would actually allow interaction with other parts of the system, which otherwise would be impossible to interact with). But, this concept exists since IE Protected Mode, and there goes a few years... Plenty of time to have worked on it, if Opera was widely used and had quite a large % of attention by attackers.

Again, just my opinion. Anyway, I already downloaded this new version (There goes a LONG time since I last used Opera!) and will be applying it a low integrity level to it, and see how it goes. It actually played nice, when I last tried it. I just didn't like the fact I couldn't have the full profile in a folder of my liking. It seems this new version allows to do it so? I'll have to check it out. If it's the case, then it's a keeper. :D

13. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

False.

14. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Performing an upgrade 'over the top' to preserve my settings added a bunch of unwanted bookmarks to websites I never want to visit (Ebay, etc). A quick check afterward revealed that cookies had also been added for each of these websites. Bad move, Opera. Yuck.

It has been seen by other people on the Opera Forums. Feels kind of scummy of them, as they've never done something like this in the past for upgrades.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Happened to you too, huh? I don't like any browser adding bookmarks, but they all do it by default. MS sticks their websites in favorites, Mozilla puts their stuff in. Actually, either I wasn't paying enough attention, or Chrome doesn't add unwanted bookmarks. I'm gonna have to check that again I guess, lol.

@Moon: You're absolutely right, while we all want them to not need sandboxing, the fact that they have it for those unknowns is a very good thing.

16. m00nbl00d

I mentioned my own experience. I never could get the full profile in a single folder of my liking. Certain stuff was always written to AppData folder. I even started a thread here at Wilders, if I well remember, asking if someone knew how to have it entirely in one single folder, but no one could be of assistance.

But, if you know how to do it, maybe you could share the knowledge, rather than being vague with a False? o_O I still haven't tried with this latest version, though. As I mentioned, there's been a very long time since I last used Opera. But, just in case I can't find my way, could you share what you know?

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

18. Pliskin

You've also mentioned word "fact", so I thought ...
    Opera v11.xx sopports portable installation, so this is for older versions:

1. In the installed folder open operaprefs_default.ini and change Multi User=1 to Multi User=0.
    or
    2. Go to opera:config, type "directory" and change whatever you want. Most global folders are "Opera Directory" and "Opera Local Directory".

This is procedure for v10.xx, but it probably works in v9.xx, too.

19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Getting the error: "Installer failed to replace file opera.exe. Error code: 9"
    Anybody getting this as well? It makes no difference if I let Opera close itself and restart or if I say restart later and make sure the opera.exe process is not running(and it isn't so that could not have been the problem.) Running Opera as Admin doesn't help either.

20. Pliskin

Try clean installation, not upgrade.

21. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I didn't wanna lose my prefs, so I tried downloading the standalone installer and install on top, didn't work either, but then I deleted opera.exe manually and then it did work :)

22. m00nbl00d

Well, it was a fact, for me. ;)

That's what I did back then, but certain stuff was still being written to AppData folder.

It could had been some problem with the version I tried, back then. No idea... but it's what happened.

Anyway, newest version allows to create a portable version easily, so... :cool:

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i found opera 11.10 more slow then 11.01 , did you?

24. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I like Opera 11.10 but always have printing niggles, well documented on their forums.
    So for printing I always use Firefox.
    Have not noticed a speed decrease since 11.01.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.