Opera 11.10 codenamed "Barracuda"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 11.10 Build 2014 is released for testing. *puppy*

Barracuda gets some teeth

This snapshot makes Speed Dial more fluid, dynamic and easier to use! What is included in this snapshot is the new flow layout. Please remember this is just a first peek at the changes Opera is making. Many very smart and innovative solutions are on the way.:D

Download it here.:cool:

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes, and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 11.10 Build 2018 developmental snapshot is released for testing.

It's about Speed Dial zooming, multi-column, and mail fixes.:D

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes, and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Why go with fish names?
    How many versions before they get to Fluke?
    (Remember the party boat is $40, there is a five fish limit and must be 17" or larger.) :D

Opera looks nice though, kinda like Firefox 4.

5. Blitzer

Blitzer Registered Member

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i tried Opera 11 for a few days but went back to Chrome.

i like the interface of Opera much better and i was hopeful i could ditch Chrome.

i think the only that is still missing from Opera is more speed.
    it has rendering problems.
    when i first load a page i sometimes see the basic page, without styles, css or anything.
    just like a text document with links.
    this only last for no more than a second in the worst case but it still looks bad for a browser these days.
    then the page loads normally.

i find it is not as fast as Chrome overall.

dont get me wrong, i am looking forward to the day i can replace Chrome with Opera.
    hopefully it is soon.

7. moontan

i just downloaded the latest 11.10 beta version.

i don't know what happened between version 11 and 11.10 but the latest beta version is fast.
    VERY fast.

it's like somebody read my mind and fixed exactly what i thought was wrong about Opera if you read my post above. o_O :)
    --------------------------------------------
    edit:
    been trying it out for the past couple of hours.
    this 11.10 Beta version just smokes!

11.10 is good enough to replace Chrome as the best browser i think.
    finally...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  8. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

what about the 11.50 build,,,that really works good on my old pc specually to watch live soccer games..only problem was a slow startup

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Very strong statements against Chrome, if I had your feelings about Chrome I wouldn't use it. Do you mind sharing your reasons?

10. moontan

mainly the UI.
    i never cared much about the Chrome UI.
    in Opera, everything is placed where i like, and apparently that is configurable.

in Chrome, i dont care much for the auto-update feature.
    i also do not care much about installing Chrome in user-space.
    the only reason to use Chrome i felt was for the speed.
    i think they pushed the *minimalist* thing way too far.
    and i am not talking only GUI.

mainly, i am just happy that there is now good competition to Chrome.
    until a week ago the only good browser (because of the speed) was Chrome, i felt.
    now, with other players catching up with the speed aspect there is more browsers to chose from.

competition is always good.

i am not fanatic about my browsers, i have used many browsers since Windows 95, using some of them for many years.
    i am always on the lookout for a better product, as we all are...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  11. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

It is interesting to read about different experiences with browsers.

Generally, I find Firefox to be a good middle-of-the-road browser. It isn't the fastest, it isn't perfect, but it generally gets things done without too much headache. I realy like the cookie handling: keep what I want, flush everything else.

Chrome, for some reason, has never been fast for me...it has been similar to, and often slower than Firefox. I like the interface, but dislike the cookie handling (I tried an extension which was somewhat buggy).

I liked Opera 10.6, but the bookmark handling and to some extent cookie handling were sub-optimal. Speed was good, similar to or perhaps slightly faster than Firefox. However, there were some important pages that didn't render properly (Windows Live Calendar) which killed my interest.

I am now testing Opera 11. Windows Live Calendar works. It looks like the cookie handling may be better (haven't set it up yet), and it is pretty darn fast!
    I haven't run into anything bad yet.

Unfortunately my video card doesn't support hardware acceleration, so I can't truly test FF4, IE9 and Chrome's capabilities.

12. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

In general, all the latest stable or stable beta versions of the four major browsers are all great pieces of software, Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 and Mozilla Firefox 4 and Google Chrome 11 and Opera 11. Which one a person chooses to use is purely based on personal preference, which is a great thing in my eyes.

I am personally having really much troubles with picking my browser, since Internet Explorer 9 is in Beta I have been using Internet Explorer 9 as default browser. However since a couple of months I am using Google Chrome (beta channel) again (after two years or something like that) as everyday browser (Internet Explorer 9 still being setup as default browser though.
    I personally am not a huge Mozilla Firefox fan anymore, I don't like the new GUI in Mozilla Firefox 4, the tabs look ugly, the orange Firefox button is not looking nice and badly aligned when you are not in a screen-fitting window, the text rendering issue and I do have more issues with it. I know many of those things can be tweaked in the config or fixed by addons, but in my eyes a browser should be perfect out-of-the-box.
    Opera is great, fast, has an insane amount of features, despite that is extremely small. But I just think there is still room for improvement in usability and user experience.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm not a fan of Unite and bittorrent being included in the browser, and I really wish their marketing people would get out of the break room and get back to promoting their product. That being said, I'm looking into them after running into far more issues than I want to sit here and deal with over a browser, after using FF4 and Chrome.

Firefox 4 has not been a good experience whatsoever, after years of good, stable usage. Just when I think I have Firefox 4 settled in and working good, something happens. From add-on screw-ups to mouse and page issues, I'm really quite tired of it. As far as Chrome 10, for whatever reason, it is painfully slow. I can have two websites up and running in another browser before Chrome loads the first page. I should explain that I'm also an add-on guy. I love my ad blockers and my "NoScript". However, FF4 is giving me enough trouble that neither add-on is enough to keep me on it (when they themselves work that is). In Chrome, its best ad-blocking extension leaves a lot of ads untouched, and, its version of NoScript, "NotScript", hasn't been actively worked on since mid to late last year.

That combined with Chromes slowness is driving me away from there as well. I may just give up on add-ons period, get myself a host file with ad/tracking server block lists, and either use a way to whitelist scripts or just forget them, and go to Opera, IE9, or hell, I don't know, at this point I may end up on SeaMonkey, lol.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Or you could look at Privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/).

I don't know why you're having problems with Fx 4. I'm using the Minefield (the road to Fx 5) and the dev versions of ABP and its element hiding helper and haven't had issues so far.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Vasa, I've no clue why FF4 is becoming a nightmare after so many years of no issues. Just now when I started to reply to you, it highlighted your entire post on its own, and a few minutes ago, I was refreshing this website and was taken to the ESET forum here..without clicking anywhere near it. My ABP list keeps going empty. I think the thing is haunted. As far as Privoxy, one, the page isn't loading for me at the moment. Two, has it gotten any easier to use? Last I looked into it, you had to mess with configuration files and such.

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

No problems with Fx4 here either.

You've tried a fresh profile, I assume?

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

No. Sadly, they seem to pride themselves on being geeky/nerdy whatever. But I found Privoxy well worth the effort. The only drawback is that it doesn't work on https sites. They've given reasons but they're "technical" and beyond me.

For such sites, there's always ABP for Fx (and Chrome).

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Sure have, including a completely fresh install. Twice now actually. I've seen some funky browser issues before, but not a browser that seemingly does whatever it wants to :D

P.s, writing this reply was difficult, as highlighted words that I needed to fix, would either not stay highlighted, or would delete themselves. And, as a further prank, it decided that when I clicked a smiley once, it added two smilies. It's almost funny.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Bummer. Well, on most https websites, I'm likely (I sure hope) to usually trust them enough to not need such protection, and I can use a clean Sandboxie to do whatever business I need to. Thanks, Vasa. I may still look into it.

-edit-

I'm going to experiment here a little. When I first started using FF4, it told me my video card wasn't supported for hardware acceleration. But now, looking in the config sections after a complete reinstall, it's turned on fully and supported. I'm going to switch everything related to it off, and see what happens.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

For me it's not a worry about trust. It's just that the idiotic banking sites stuff their pages with graphics that I don't need to see.

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

True enough. I don't bank online though, so that's one less worry for me.

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

One more advantage of Privoxy (and similars) is that it works across browsers. Set it up once and you have the same blocking available for Opera, K-Meleon, Fx, Chrome, whatever.

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'll look more into it, for sure. I seem to have gained some control back over FF4, after disabling hardware acceleration. I'm still having highlighting issues though. I'll keep an eye on it, and in the meantime see about some other setups. Sorry to have hijacked the thread, but thanks for the replies and help, guys :)

24. korben

korben Registered Member

25. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Another rushed Final release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.