Opera 10 Wow !!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Huupi, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

In my experience Opera is fastest.
    It loads a hell a lot of faster than Firefox or IE8. It surfs faster, especially with Turbo set to automatic.
    I could care less about some tests on somebody else's computer.

2. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

3. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I wish you would change the title of this thread to Opera 10 Alpha WOW!! This is the second time I have been fooled. o_O

5. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Fanboy alert :rolleyes:

Wow! Firefox/Chrome/Whatever loads 0,12454 seconds faster than Opera, amazing! Opera is the suck!!! But wait, I can open a butt load of tabs in Opera and it's still fast, faster than whatever browser.
    And comparing a browser still in ALPHA stage to final versions of other browsers is worth what it's worth... especially with canned synthetic benchmarks.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  6. Airflow

Airflow Registered Member

Must also try that browser soon.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You might as well wait for the released version. It is close.:)

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

As a matter of fact, I never said Opera sucked. All I did was a simple speed test; no more, no less. It's just a coincidence that Opera happens to be the slowest of the bunch. But I guess if you're a fanboy perpetually stuck in the typical us-vs-them-whos-best mentality, then I guess you just can't help having problems with taking statistics objectively without trying to frame them into an emotional, tantrummy shouting match.

Either your reading or comprehension skills - or both - appear to be sorely lacking.

I tested Opera 10 beta, build 1622. And, given Opera's own words that "We are quickly approaching the final release of Opera 10.0", I don't think it would be far-fetched to say that there's no 200% speed boost arriving at the eleventh hour. And trust me - if I tested Opera 9.64, it'd have failed even harder, so just quit whining and be thankful I used the beta.

Thanks, I'm sure we'll all be on the alert for more of your kind.

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

good, thanks :cool:

10. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

These benchmarks are of little use in determining how fast a browser really is,due to the wide variance in results.As a case in point here's one that shows Opera 10 to be the fastest on average:

http://www.codexon.com/posts/a-real-benchmark-real-websites-with-chrome-firefox-opera-safari-ie

The salient point here is that the browsers all perform differently on different sites,so any random set of sites used for the test may happen to favour one browser over the others,therefore making a truly representative test difficult.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

A very different kind of test, given how:
    Loading pages from disk nullifies mechanisms that some browsers incorporate to improve load times over an actual connection, such as speculative preloading, DNS prefetching, pipelining, etc.

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

This argument about whether x browser is faster than y browser must be relative to users' system specifics.

We see this type of discussion time and again on these forums and elsewhere, and not just related to browsers. Some report their applications run fast on their system while others see slowdowns with the same program.

Can't we agree to accept that every system and situation is different? Yes, there has to be a common denominator why some people seem to fare better than others, but the way computer systems are set up with their myriad configurations will make that much harder to find.

The comments about being able to open 30+ tabs is intriguing. One might be able to do that without speed worries, but I question why some are in such a hurry do things like this. This is the trouble today; we're trying to run too fast by doing too many things at once. It's like the guy who has too many applications open for example, and then he wonders why he got that 'crash'.

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Exactly!
    That's why I fail to see any relevance to these browser speed tests.

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If you install a browser and you think its fast, then its fast for you. Enjoy. If you install a different browser and its slow for you, and you don't want a slow browser, uninstall it. The End :D

15. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Well ,Firefox is slowest of the lot(by the time the browser opens , some users would start to do other things),and then IE ,Opera and chrome ,in that order(but difference in speed is negligible among last three).
    Firefox opens many websites better than the opera,so it will retain the market share.Chrome is the fastest, but opera is still the best combination of speed and performance.Operas features can be had in firefox as addons(for eg:fast dial, image block) but then they dont work as well as in opera.But there is no clear winner now.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  16. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Used to be if you were on dialup, Opera could easily show its prowess. On high speed connections, with powerful computers, what is the limitation anymore? One browser beating another by .xxx seconds?

Opera is the best at cache control. Lightning fast 'back' button. Has been for a very long time. FF is slow-ish, and can get fairly 'stingy' with how much resources it wants to use. Later versions of all browsers though do the same thing, Opera included.

I can say, having used all browsers a fair bit, Opera gets my vote for the fastest. I use Kmeleon mostly now for a year or more. It is fast. I have tested my machine, my connection, my settings. All things being equal, IE, Safari and FF are noticably slower. Chrome is fastest in some instances. Overall speed champ for me is Opera, with Kmeleon being just a tick behind. It is only an individuals opinion that ever matters in these things anyway, but I have certainly met a LOT of peeps who are knowledgable and have used all the browsers, and say Opera is faster for them. And interstingly, many of them don't use it because they like some features of other browsers.

How was that, 10,000 Elvis fans can't be wrong?

Sul.

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That's fair enough. Unfortunately I haven't been able to substantiate this for myself. Heck, I haven't even seen any published tests that puts Opera anywhere near the top.

On the other hand, there seem to be quite a few reviews that show Opera at the bottom of the pile when it comes to page load speed. Here's another one: http://lifehacker.com/5286869/lifehacker-speed-tests-safari-4-chrome-2-and-more

18. Masterton

Masterton Registered Member

When it comes to speed, perception is much more important than actual result.
    It's fast if you think it is, even if it's actually the slowest in the world.

19. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

How fast does a browser need to be? I use Opera and its fast enough for me and thats really all I care about, not some test on some site or other, and certainly not someone else's opinion.

I have tried other browsers and always come back to Opera,,,,, and not because of the speed thingee.

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

From my point of view, considering how young Chrome is, it's doing very well. As far as browsing with 30+ tabs at once, it must be good for very busy people. I get confused with more than 3 tabs at once, so I don't really need the power of Opera. I have seen a test by mrizos comparing IE8, Chrome and Firefox in terms of their inbuilt security, it would be nice to see how Opera would fare in such a test.

21. progress

progress Guest

I think the latest version of Google Chrome is also spyware-free. I can't find the unique ID and you can turn off google reports at installation (optional) :)

To topic: On my machine Opera is slower than Chrome or Firefox :(

22. Airflow

Airflow Registered Member

Perception is everything.

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Opera is fast except within its own "Community" where it is painfully slow.

24. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

What the heck, I may as well chime in! Firefox sandboxed loads terribly slow! That however, is the only negative thing I can say about it. If that really bothered me, I could just keep my home page open all of the time, after all, I'm behind hardware and software firewalls and the browsing sessions are sandboxed. This v3.5 is instantaneous between sites. I have eight active extensions and about a half dozen disabled but available should I need them. This is on an XP, Pent 4 desktop and 5Mbs cable service, not the fastest setup but I can't imagine/needing anything faster for browsing. I agree that browsers are a personal choice but I must say v3.5 is definitely the best Ff yet and anyone claiming that another browser has discernible differences have PCs that function much different than mine does!

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

lol, it is sure to be! That is why any debate of which software is better or which this is faster than that is purely opinion. Opinion based on individual system settings. A browser speedtest, or for that matter any speedtest, usually uses a testbed machine. My machine is most definately different from every testbet machine in the world.

Really, all these benchmarks thrown out for everything computer related are useful if you yourself perform them with your machine. Otherwise, you will never truly know what 'your' machine will do with that new, faster, more better hardware/software.

This thread can be summed up by saying Opera is a very fast browser, and the latest alpha v10 seems even faster than older versions.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.