Opera 10 alpha

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rdsu, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I agree that trashing either browser (though I'm about to make an exception in a second) goes nowhere. They are both great, HOWEVER, Firefox has always had memory issues and the ever-present "hang" (having to Ctr-Alt-Del to get it to completely shut down). Now , to my exception I mentioned....FF2 made me go back to IE, and not because of incompatible websites. It was probably the worst browser I have ever used. It was slow, there was more hanging going on than in an Old West town, and the memory leakage made me feel like trying to find the hole and sticking duct tape over it.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

In an Opera thread, i have to ask, why didn't you use Opera if Firefox was unusable?

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Great question, and the answer is that, at least on my particular system, the Opera versions at that time also caused me problems. However, the situation has changed more as the releases have come out and I have less issues. Once 10 comes out of Alpha, I'll be giving it a run.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Me too, but while i'm waiting i have 9 installed :p
    I usually have both installed. Really good when "troubleshooting" some website.

If Firefox didn't exist, Opera would be my main browser no doubt. In it's default installation, it's an eye opener coming from IE, you just have to take a look at their website for the feature tour and try it :)

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I swear that if it had a REAL alternative to NoScript and AdBlockPlus, Opera would have an extremely good chance of replacing Firefox on my system. Those two extensions are just too invaluable and work too well to give up.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

A bit the same for me regarding ns and others, but for my usage of Adblock, Opera is probably better. If you subscribe to a list, i believe you can use that list in Opera as well. I don't use any though, it's mostly for but ugly websites and flashy/damn irritating ads. If the ads don't bother me, i don't bother them.

7. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Tried 10 alpha (and x'mas) for some days and liked it, even felt lighter than 9.6 if that's possible.

Got a stupid question. If it scores 100/100 on acid3 test, what does it actually imply? Specifically, if say a website "doesn't work" with opera 10a, does that imply it's the website's coding at fault?

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The acid test is just a test to see how well a browser handles web standards such as Javascript. If it scores 100, it means that the browser handles these standards "perfectly". As far as a website not working, it could be the browser or the website causing the problem, and, it could be both. Sadly there are still web coders out there that specifically target the IE audience.

9. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Thanks dw426,

I did some quick scans at secunia online inspector. With 10 alpha & xmas ed, scans could complete but no results were shown. OK with 9.6.

So I was wondering if it was website coding, jre plugin or 10 fault... and also wondered what 100/100 actually meant.

10. philby

philby Registered Member

Attached Files:

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

12. philby

philby Registered Member

Thanks for that - I reported the page error.

Just wanted to check it wasn't something I'd done.

Wish I knew why it's happening...

philby

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Considering the speed at which Opera team patches up security holes, I would feel way more comfortable using it for online banking and transaction than any other browsers out there.

14. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

I have a problem. I'm using Vista x64 SP1 and whenever my computer goes to sleep and it wakes up, Opera just doesn't respond. I open Opera, but it does nothing, I try to open a website but it just won't load. I can't close tabs also but Windows doesn't say it's not responding, it just won't do anything, like it doesn't wake up. I have to close Opera and open it again to work properly.

I don't think I had that problem with 9.62.

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Maybe you should report this on Opera Forum.

At work, I had a similar problem because I'm behind a proxy, and to solve it I had to change the opera:config#Performance|MaxConnectionsServer to 4, because proxy has limits...

You can also change this in "Tools> Preferences... > Advanced > Network > Max connections to a server".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.