Opera 10.6x (Alpha, Beta...) Now Final! - The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Re: Opera 10.60 (Alpha, Beta...) Now Final! - The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !!

I enjoy Opera. One thing I've noticed though is that 10.60 eats as much memory as Firefox does now. Anyone else noticed this?

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Re: Opera 10.60 (Alpha, Beta...) Now Final! - The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !!

Looks like snapshots are back. 10.70 available for testing.
    http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I noticed that Opera 10.70 build 3451 consumes less memory than 10.60 final build. Can anyone confirm ?;)

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

running much faster than 10.60 and yes using less memory here also.. this is running great

5. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

I give up--and rolled back to 10.54. In 10.6 and 10.7 bookmarks disappear, passwords disappear, download manager crashes etc etc.

Back with stable 10.54 and running smoothly :D

XP SP2, 2Gb ram

6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

They never take a rest in Norway do they.

BTW, nice article on Makeuseof about the content blocking of Opera.
    A way better solution than these annoying addons like Adblock Plus which annoy me already 1 second after installing.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/block-advertisements-opera-browser/

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

You should just back up your bookmarks (bookmarks.adr) and passwords (wand.dat) and do a clean install of Opera 10.60 or 10.70 and replace those backup files in your profile folder. See Help, About to see where your profile folder is located.:p

Another simple way to trial is to download the portable usb version of Opera 10.60 http://www.opera-usb.com/index.htm and replace the backup files in the profile folder of the portable usb version.;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  8. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

The most hardworking browser development in Opera ! :p

Installing Opera adblock is very simple. Go to the esteemed FanBoy AdBlock site http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/ and download the very comprehensive and updated urlfilter.ini file and copy it into your Opera profile folder and it will most if not all of the ads. Anything not covered by fanboy list, you just need to manually add them using the method mentioned in your link.;)

See Help ---About to see where your profile folder is located in your install.

9. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

10. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Only the foolish says, "I've made up my mind, now don't confuse me with the facts" :gack: o_O

No doubts.....truly the fastest browser on Earth ! ;) :p

11. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Isn't the only important test the "Page load time", you know, that one where Opera is the slowest in almost all cases ? o_O
    After all, people are not really using their browser to run Spider tests or other futuremark brewings, the main thing we do is visit websites, right ?

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yep, Chrome 5 mostly takes the crown there, and Chrome 6 alpha takes the crown everywhere on my tests, so chrome 6 portable is my current "browser of the month" :D

Can't wait to see what Opera have in store for next version! Also hopefully IE9 beta soon! :D

13. linuxforall

Page load is a misnomer, the tests sum up overall speed and Opera handsomely outdoes Chrome, I have Chrome linux version on this machine and except for Google sites, Chrome lags behind Opera, page load time notwithstanding. The tests are done to show the speed with relevant web page features, Opera is fastest there. The only place where Google manages to do well on my system is Google sites like youtube, orkut etc, no need to guess why.

The page load times tested four pages, Google, MSN, Yahoo and Facebook, if everyone using the web would be limited to these four pages, world would indeed be a sad and pathetic place to live. Google pages work best on Google Chrome, ain't no surprise there.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  14. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Chrome is faster than Opera here.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'd duck if I were you, in this thread, thems fightin words :D

16. guest

guest Guest

Opera 10.6 was the hands-down fastest browser I've ever tested. But IE8 doesn't lose on popular sites - a fact I personally noticed too.

Anyways, I found Opera 10.6's RSS support and some existing bugs to be annoying. Ended up uninstalling it, one more time.

17. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Good for you !:thumb: As I posted, we will now not confuse you with the facts.;) :p

18. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

10.6 is the best browser I've tried. :thumb:

Thanks nanana1 for the clear data tip. Works like a charm.

Opera 1.png

Opera 2.png

Regarding the right-click and search function, including custom search, any way of making it open in a new window instead of the active window?

Opera 3.png

19. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

holding shift down before you click search will conduct the search in a new tab

havent looked into opening it in a new window though

20. linuxforall

On google sites yes and we all know why ;)

21. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

The Opera Dev Team are back from their well-deserved vacation with a new 10.61 RC1 build for our testing.:D

Opera 10.61 build 3467/8418/6415 is released.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/show.dml/ *puppy*

22. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Thanks. :thumb: They should make this the default action.

Opera 10.60 + Fanboy Adblock main+tracking, is one beast of a browser.

23. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im finding that When opera 10.6 is first opened ,its using something like 47mb ,but after opening just 2 tabs its shot up to 147 mb.Having it open for a little while with just 4 tabs open its now at 247mb.This is on windows 7 64bit. Is this normal for opera?
    ellison

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Isn't that mostly dependent on the content you're viewing?

25. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

well i have these three tabs open
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1720862#post1720862
    http://www.skysports.com/football/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/

In opera the above three pages are currently consuming 149.4 mb whereas the same pages opened in firefox consume 88.6 mb

On my system at least operas memory consumption is nearly double that of firefox when viewing the same pages.I have plenty of memory (4gig) but just curious why opera seems to use so much memory .
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.