Opera 10.6x (Alpha, Beta...) Now Final! - The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

if you limit the memory,you limit the speed?
    i tried 10.61.memory went up and then down..no matter if visiting youtube..
    but crashes with latest adobe flash player,,it asked me to install it..it was installed.
    so..i just uninstalled it.

2. nteca

nteca Registered Member

I will give the new 10.7 another try. I was quite shocked at 10.50 memory consumption, it consumed 500meg within minutes with only a handful of tabs opened.

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 10.70 is a developmental snapshot released for bugs testers.;)

I would recommend you try its final version Opera 10.61. :D

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Off topic posts removed. Discuss the topic please

5. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Is there a way to start an Opera private window via a shortcut like incognito for chrome?

6. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes. Do a Ctrl+Shift+N will open a new private window. :cool:

7. Blitzer

Blitzer Registered Member

You can only influence at some degree memory usage in preferences.
    Opera will use as much memory as it will need depending on the rendered content and several other memory sensitive settings applied.

That's an overstatement.
    Depending on the specs of your hardware (newer, elder, old computers) rendering speed will be more or less visible.

If you have plenty of memory it might help improving speed.
    In case you are at risk to run out of memory it's recommendable to limit its usage as much as you can.

Several memory leak problems have been fixed since 10.50.
    Nevertheless for different reasons memory usage of newer versions never will be as low as it was prior to 10.50.

Preferences\Advanced\Shortcuts -> Keybord setup (Edit)

n ctrl shift | New private browser window
    q ctrl shift | Close private tabs

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  8. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Thanks but I was looking for a way to start Opera with a private window by default without opening a non-private one first. Is there a command line switch I can add to Opera's shortcut that'll open a private window? There is one for opening a private tab but would really prefer a private window instead.

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

This is as close as you can get :

To start Opera with a private browsing tab open by default when using the shortcut, edit the shortcut as mentioned above, and add the the command line switch -newprivatetab, at the end of the line in the Target edit box.

NOTE: It’s a single hyphen before newprivatetab and a space before the hyphen.

A new Opera window with a blank, private browsing tab displays with your default startup option (home page, speed dial, etc.) available on the tab.:cool:

10. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 10.70 snapshot build 3486/9013/9013 is released.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/show.dml/ *puppy*

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 10.70 snapshot build 3488/9015 is released.

It has been a while since something was added to the Opera Link, but this "10.70" snapshot introduces synchronization of the content blocker. This makes it easy to build and maintain a list of blocked items anywhere you go.

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Okay, here's a weird one: is anyone else seeing this login error on Wilders?

Attached Files:

13. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I just logout and log back into Wilders and did NOT see the login error screen you posted.:cool:

Is anything amiss with your weird PC system or Windows ? o_O

14. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Latest 10.70 running rock solid here on Linux, no issues so far. HTML5 vids run smooth even in full screen.

15. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Considering how I don't have a weird PC system or Windows, it'd be hard to have something amiss with it.

Nuked my profile clean and tried again. Same problem. The odd thing is, I can't replicate this error with the same version of Opera (10.61) in Ubuntu.

16. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I understand how you've made up your mind about your PC and Windows and won't confuse you with the facts.:cool:

With a PC system and Windows that you have, I would strongly recommend you to use the portable version of Opera.:p

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I already am, actually. But I won't try to confuse you with the facts either. :)

18. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

That's great ! *puppy*

19. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Again, it's advertisement time ! :p

Source : Opera 10.6, The World's Fastest Stable Browser dated July 3, 2010 from an independent website review :p

....We took Opera 10.6, the latest from the Norwegian web firm, out for a spin. And we can first say that of the recent "fastest" browser claims -- including some of Opera's own -- this one seems the most legitimate...... :cool:

Opera 10.6 narrowly edges out Chrome 5 in two of the tests, and Chrome 6 in two of the tests. In the world of mixed martial arts, they would call this a split decision win. But a win is still a win and we can say that unlike with Opera 10.5, Opera Software's claims that it has the world's fastest browser are fair. :cool:

Opera 10.6 does have one more ace up its sleeve -- it's bundling free antivirus software from AVG inside its browser. Opera writes us : "We are incorporating AVG into Opera. Specifically, AVG's Web Threat Data Feed. This will work with our existing Fraud Protection technology that already uses Netcraft and PhishTank." This should offer further protection against exploits and malware to Opera 10.6 users. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  20. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That was two days after the release of Opera 10.60, which, although legitimately the fastest at that time, got overtaken by the Chromium trunk builds a few days after. Look back at the first few pages of this thread if you need a refresher.

Incidentally, I gave Opera 10.70 a spin - still refuses to let me to login to Wilders, but the important thing is that it actually works with Google Docs now, save for a few minor rendering errors. Time to consider it again as a contender for my primary browser.

21. Blitzer

Blitzer Registered Member

Either the author of that independent website review never bothered to look into Opera or he makes misleading statements on purpose. Between bundling an antivirus inside a browser and a shortcut that redirects traffic is a huge difference a tech reviewer should know about except he considers all its audience dumbheads.

22. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera Dev Team's back to work ;)

Opera 10.70 snapshot unified build number 9034 is released.:D

Known regressions :
    - DSK-311417 (Crash on expanding items in the mail panel):ninja:
    - DSK-307161 (Mouse navigation buttons not working) :ninja:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  23. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 10.70 snapshot unified build 9036 is released.

I've skipped the last and this build due to my mouse forward and backward buttons not working. Using last working build 3488 now.;)

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Wow, an Opera build didn't work for you? :eek:

Who'd have thought. :p

25. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Correction...that is not one but 2 Opera builds that I've skipped and not used due to their known regression that mouse forward and backward buttons not working.:p

Other than that, the 2 Opera developmental builds (only for testers) are actually working quite nicely and rock stable, as always. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.