Opera 10.6x (Alpha, Beta...) Now Final! - The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Re: Opera 10.60 (Alpha, Beta...) Now Final! - The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !!

How soono_O It has been weeks since they have gone RC1,RC2,RC3 .......for ever :rolleyes:

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

10.61 final is out. ftp.opera.com

3. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

4. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Not surprising, later today all sites including opera.com will show Opera 10.61 final:p

5. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I just did an auto update it said i was using the latest version of Opera that is V 10.60....o_O
    sorry i got it now......thanks

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  6. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 10.61 final build 3484 is released.:D

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Can those of you running 10.61 final check here please: http://www.pcmag.com

I'm running this version and being forced to their mobile page. Is anyone else having this issue? By the way, other than this problem, Opera 10.61+Fanboy lists= Oh so very sweet. Crossing my fingers here, but Opera may have finally come through for me.

8. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Getting the same issue here, dw, on both PC and OS X versions of Opera 10.61

Temporary workaround: Open a site preferences pane and manually put "www.pcmag.com" into the target address under "General". Then go to the "Network" pane and select "Identify as Firefox". Now you should stop getting the redirect automatically! At least, it worked out for me that way.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That works beautifully, thanks Carbon :) Next item up for bid: Has anyone else noticed a bit of a "stutter" when scrolling image-heavy websites? It seems like it is trying to "catch up" with me as I scroll. I don't consider it a problem, more of a slight annoyance. I just wondered if anyone else had that issue presently or in the past.

Edit: Now nobody hate me, lol, but Opera and I are parting until I do some more investigating. Flash-based content is very jerky and I'm having quite a few rendering issues. Poor Opera, they gain me then they lose me again, with every release.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  10. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 10.61 is working very well here, no jerkiness nor any rendering issues that you had on your system.:D

Nobody will hate you for not being destined for Opera's greatness :p

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well I was 1000% certain YOU wouldn't have any issues, lol. I have an idea, you should REALLY take over their marketing department. You'd be perfect, lol. In all seriousness though, 10.61 was about as good as Opera has been for me in YEARS. I wouldn't have judged it so quick had the Flash issues not been so extreme. I did honestly try to look for solutions and even did a clean re-install, but I had no luck. I was willing to overlook the rendering issues I encountered, I'm used to websites only testing the "major" browsers to see how the website works with them. But i use Flash quite a bit, and that kind of performance I saw I just couldn't live with. It's not a knock solely on Opera, Chrome gave me all kinds of hell, so don't throw any tomatoes at me or anything Nanana1, hehe.

12. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

To expect any browser to be perfect is delusional at best, currently have both Opera and Chrome on my systems, both run very good, Chrome gives me aw snaps on many pages which Opera runs just fine, in fact ironically Chrome runs dog slow on Orkut which opera manages just fine, also pates render and open faster here with Opera than with Chrome, don't make either a superior browser, you use whats convenient to you. Flash is an enigma affecting entire systems and browsers, not just one particular one. Can't wait for HTML 5 to go standard.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Perfection I never expect, software is and always will be finicky, and so will computers for that matter. It just gets frustrating when you see all the good reports, happy users, and, in Chromes case, much better security...and then you install the thing and gives you grief. I don't know whether me being on a 64 bit OS is the problem or what, but I swear every time I stray away from IE or FF, I get into trouble :D

14. linuxforall

And if I even stray into FF, its end of net for me, even those rare occasions I used Windows, IE was never ever even considered here. Security of Google Chrome was recently debunked and it was found to be no more secure than others.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Ooh, juicy info, where did you see this "debunking"? Not that I'm falling over in shock here, eventually someone was going to poke it enough to find holes, and, soon, exploit them.

16. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

Opera hasnt worked well under linux for me. Often it hangs due to scripts. I have had to disable plugins to make it not hang. And it crashes.

17. linuxforall

Works fine here, actually I get more issues with Chrome here but even then I prefer it as an alternate to FF.

In KDE 4.5, Konqueror with web kit enabled outshines FF by miles and now works real good as well.

Opera doesn't have any plugins apart from what it detects like flash, java etc.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  18. linuxforall

19. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

On this matter of security, I've found Opera to be solidly secure. I've contributed to Opera's security by raising the flaws that Securnia discovered in their Opera forum, pestered Opera Dev Team to look into it which they did but not after some time of their own investigation. Since then, I've noted that Opera had patched every security "holes" and flaws that were raised to their attention.

I don't know enough of the other browsers and their secureness and will leave it as such.:cool:

Really, let's keep this thread to Opera browser's discussion. Thanks, all ! :)

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Opera wasn't mentioned in this entire post. I felt that this post would raise a perfect storm, and it did.

Nanana1, your contribution to the developement of Opera surely is more than the cumulative contribution of other visitors to this thread but part of the title --- The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !! --- was bound to attract disputatious visitors, thereby reducing the focus on Opera per se.

21. linuxforall

Btw nanana1, have you tried out Opera 10.70?

22. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes, I have Opera 10.61 on my other laptop and using 10.70 build 3483 on this desktop PC and both versions are running great with no freezes or rendering issues. :D

23. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thanks, vasa1, for your kind acknowledgement which I feel that I do not deserved.;)

As for the title of this thread (which btw had been around for many months now), --- The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !! --- , I did not make them up myself; it came from Opera itself. (see pic attachment) and had withstood the tests of many software reviewers, users and critics, etc. I've been using Opera, felt its speed and affirm its claim as well.:cool:

Attached Files:

24. nteca

nteca Registered Member

Hello, I love my Opera browser but specifically version 10.10. I did try 10.5 but returned to 10.10 because it requires less memory than the new ones.

Have they fine-tune the latest version memory consumption?

25. linuxforall

You can limit Opera's memory use in preferences, try out 10.70, 10.10 is crawls compared to 10.50 and above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.