Opera 10.6x (Alpha, Beta...) Now Final! - The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Re: Opera 10.60 (Alpha, Beta...) Now Final! - The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !!

I opened the 3 tabs you listed and my Opera 10.61 showed 85MB memory used.:)

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Re: Opera 10.60 (Alpha, Beta...) Now Final! - The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !!

Are widgets treated as separate applications, with their own memory use, or are they treated as a part of Opera? If widget memory use is being grouped in with browser memory, perhaps that would explain the much higher result? That is, of course, if the poster is using widgets. What, also, about Unite, if it is still included with Opera and is turned on?

3. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

when trying opera,1 tab visiting for example youtube could reache easily 200,xxx k...,only added fanboy blocker and adbe flash player......nothing else.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Good grief.

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I tried opening 1 tab with youtube video playing and my memory use is about 90MB. I also had fanboy blocker added and adobe flash player installed.:D

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

How on earth does a browser have THAT much difference in memory usage? I'd actually like to know. I know software acts differently on each system, but that's a little out there.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Simple. Ordinary users report the numbers they see, the bashers exaggerate it, the fanboys doctor their scenarios to toss out ridiculously low numbers, etc.

After a while, you learn to tell who's who.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I basically have, I just figured I'd toss that question out there since I'm not what you'd call a "techie user".

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I opened Opera 10.70 alpha, loaded up a Gordon Ramsay youtube video, and it read 115mb.

Please note that I don't actually care, I've been switching between browsers constantly for years. Memory usage isn't even on the list of things to think about for me when it comes to choice.

10. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

and i always download from opera site -main-

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Me either anymore, I have 6Gb and it seems, no matter what I'm doing, I never use more than 2, 2 and a half of it. I just wondered why some had these fantastically high numbers and some were so low, when using the same page/tab count/etc to test.

12. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

And fanboys also come and peddle their own choice on a thread thats not about their own, you have to see through that as well.

13. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

yeah really, jeez :thumbd:

14. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Don't want to dispute what others reported on their computers, I think the best thing is to share with you what I see on my own computer as I reported it.

Now I have 2 tabs open, ie. this forum page and one youtube video on Obama playing and my memory use is 98MB and I posted my screen capture as my proof. :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Despite this, I still think chrome is great ! :thumb: :p

16. chrome_sturmen

the very best browser that blows them all out of the water, is.... netscape communicator 4.1, with flying toolbars! it's powered by the gecko rendering engine, and... 2 mice running on a wheel :D

just ask pete50, he uses it as well *puppy*

17. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Benchmarks or, friendly smoke? Course it could be :D whiskey as well ....

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Netscape, so many fond memories of that and the internet it ran on. Screw IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and the rest. Bring back the days of Netscape...oh, can I have the old internet back as well? You know, the internet which didn't include huge corporations trying to hoard my data, white-listing scripts and executables just so some donkeys' behind MIGHT not be able to sneak past a security set-up I shouldn't even have to be using, SRP, SEHOP, HIPS, DEP, sandboxes....blah blah blah.

God I miss those days. *sigh* Back to "Opera Now Final-The Fas...whatever".

19. chrome_sturmen

ah yes, those were the days ;) they remind me of summer breaks from college, late nights, swilling beer and eating pizza, hanging out in aol chatrooms and punting people using firetools :thumb: and using the aol member directory to meet more than my share of nice ladies :D i remember modifying some aol prog to mass im every chick in the member directory based on my search criteria, then i needed only wait for those that would willingly respond :D

but back on topic, i do use opera sandboxed, its been my browser for years now, and with sandboxie, i just dont get any malware anymore, im a bit bored these days even--no infections to clean:'( (pc infections, anyway, see above) i kid, i kid *puppy*

20. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 10.61 RC2 build 3476/8422/6422 is released.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/show.dml/ *puppy*

This RC2 release mostly contains stability fixes. But the fix for the blanking out of the start bar us reversed, as it caused some other problems, and it probably won't make it in 10.61 Final. Also look out for problems with cookies as a bug is fixed in the cookie settings. There are also some improvements for Geolocation on Unix and some fixes for memory issues.:D

21. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Opera seems to be gaining in popularity while Fattyfox Firefox & Chrome aren't. Well, according to this anyway.

22. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

23. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Looks like the final version of Opera 10.61 is going to take some time after RC2 ,was expecting a final release ....any news guys? or are they going for version 10.7 final and skipping 10.61 o_O

24. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

New 10.70 snapshot build 3483/8427/6428 with more Presto updates
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another Presto (Core) update for you. This update should improve performance in some cases, and it fixes a few crashes and freezes, some memory issues, and have also removed the -o- prefix for CSS3 text-overflow. Widgets should be working again as well. There are some more quite important fixes in there as well.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/08/09/new-10-70-snapshot-with-more-presto-updates *puppy*

WARNING: This is a development snapshot of Opera. It is released for testing purposes, and there may be serious bugs and unfinished features.

25. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 10.61 build 3484 will go final very soon !!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.