OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 - Forrest Gimp

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've written a long, thorough review of openSUSE Leap 42.2 64-bit Plasma edition, tested on a laptop with UEFI, GPT, 16 partitions, and a multi-boot setup with Windows 10 and several Linux distros, covering installation and post-install testing, including safe and sane partitioning defaults, look & feel, package management, updates and community repos, networking support - Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing and printing, multimedia support - HD video, MP3, smartphone support - Ubuntu Phone and iPhone, apps, enterprise features, resource utilization, performance, responsiveness, stability, battery life, hardware compatibility, customization, many problems and errors like program bugs, KWin crashes, sluggishness, broken themes, broken login options, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opensuse-42-2.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

To be fair, you do have to install GNOME packages to log into the GNOME session.

I have the package updater applet in my panel and with all the repo goodies installed, there are usually 200 MB of updates to install every couple of weeks, mostly bug and security fixes.

Do be patient with Leap. Its not a rolling release like Tumbleweed, so updates are on the sane side.

OpenSUSE has a ton of desktop environment options and if its not available in the official release, it can be installed from package repositories.

3. Mrkvonic

And I did install the Gnome packages BEFORE testing the login functionality. Still borked.
    Mrk

4. NormanF

I have KDE, GNOME SLE, Budgie, XFCE and Enlightenment installed in OpenSUSE and I can login in.

Its weird the session is borked on your setup considering on my VB Budgie, I could login into it from GNOME after installing all required Budgie Desktop packages.

5. Mrkvonic

I am talking about sessions labeled Gnome Classic and SLE (Classic). Try those.
    I can log in into standard ones without a problem.
    Mrk

6. NormanF

I am in SLE session. In case you're wondering, its single bottom panel with an Applications and Places menu.

There is no way to add applets or launchers to the SLE panel or to resize or hide it. I've made do with D2D on the top which makes the Favorite Bar in the Applications menu accessible to launch at convenience.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.