openSUSE 10.3 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i didn't realise it was out already, i'm not sure if i'm going to upgrade or not o_O i've used suse as my main OS for nearly a year now and i like it, i've never had any problems with it anyway.
    http://news.opensuse.org/?p=400

here are some screenshots
    http://en.opensuse.org/Screenshots/openSUSE_10.3

here are some links i had open from RSS feeds

here's the one click install for nvidia and ati cards
    http://dev.compiz-fusion.org/~cyberorg/2007/10/06/1-click-to-install-nvidiaati-binary-blobs/

here's a review
    http://jamesots.blogspot.com/2007/10/opensuse-103-first-look.html

Installing & Configuring openSUSE 10.3
    http://www.tweakhound.com/blog/?page_id=107

http://opensuse-community.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE-Community.org
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-announce/2007-10/msg00002.html
    http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Thanks for the update :)

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here, thanks for the update notice for it.

I been working on migrating several systems to it, hope this release will nudge me even more to finally start it.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Installed 10.3 the other day and overall it's great, some real nice improvements and enhancements, looks like they did a very nice job on this one. I did however encounter a few problems, one with Firefox, I was unable to open FF's Prefs window, just got a blank window which hung, no solutions or fixes. Also installed Opera and it crashed on links and pages repeatedly, probably something to do with flash, but who knows.. Aside from the browser probs, and some funky fonts, it looked really nice overall.. Worth a look if you don't run into the problems I saw...

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It took a couple of tries but i downloaded the iso and will soon transfer it to CD. I tried to DVD then realized why Nero wouldn't take. LoL

I heard a lot of satisfaction with Suse and other Linuxs over the recent months past and don't see why this one wouldn't prove to be a good choice too.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I think it's a great choice myself, always loved the look and feel of SuSE, especially in 10.3 with some of the themes. Performance is much improved over 10.2 IMO too. And they took the time to rewrite much of the GUI and package manager stuff, which was sorely needed. Overall I rate it high, just had those couple of browser related issues, but SuSE itself was quite admirable... latest kernel and everything. Highly recommended..

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I installed the 10.3 with Gnome 2.20, Zenworks is gone and overall the systems is more responsive.
    Also Compiz is only a single mouseclick away...

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I got the SUSE 10.2 working superbly, with Beryl doing its stuff. The same applies for Edgy ... So I'm wondering if to upgrade either or both. I'll probably make images, then upgrade or even make fresh installs, just for sport...
    Mrk

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Do you think that this distro is better than PCLinuxOS?

I want to choose a nice distro to switch from WinXP...

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've only glanced at OpenSUSE. Doesn't it include a pretty good security program of some kind?

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    There is no such thing as better - there's only you / I like this / that more.
    All are good.
    Mrk

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Hey VC, my answer would be almost the same a Mrk.

The best thing is to answer this question: do you want an OS as close to automatic as possible (this is one of them), or you don't mind learning about it (not science note)?

The latter doesn't mean you have to keep configuring things manually, mainly just when you install it and configure it for the first time.
    And you can always do what i'm doing, dual boot until you feel comfortable enough to drop XP. Of course, having another PC would be even better, no dual boot.

Another question could be: do you expect support, or a company behind it? (for someone who just don't have time to search for help etc)

My 2 cents on the matter.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I agree with you both ;)

I've read a lot of great things about PCLOS, but this distro also seems nice...

One is from Debian, other from SUSE, and I don't really know the difference between them...
    Maybe the PCLOS is more for home users, and the second for home and server...

PCLOS seems more stable but less update, and the oposite for openSUSE...

Academically, I used Red Hat, Mandrake and Fedora, few years ago, but...

Maybe I will install PCLOS, on my notebook of 60GB, and see if I really like it...
    Then, can try openSUSE on another system on day...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hi VC,

From my experience with both, I'd say try PCLOS first and see what you think, it works pretty much fully functional out of the box. SuSE 10.3 does the same now too, I think I only had to get video working this time. So SuSE does take a little more tweaking, but not much.

PCLOS installs and fully updates in less than an hour for me, SuSE full install took nearly 3 hours here because it had to download a bunch of stuff while the servers were being hammered (1st day of release), otherwise it's probably faster.

SuSE has a great look and feel IMO. PCLOS is nice too. I prefer Gnome to KDE myself.

Anyway, both are very good. I'd try PCLOS first as you mentioned, then when you have more time, try SuSE 10.3. There have been MANY improvements in 10.3 which make it a pleasure to use...

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Got It! Burned to CD.

VERY! NICE! Install Screen and all. I done a once over preliminary and this is gonna be super-sweet after everything is configged in it's rightful place.

I been so consumed with everything Windows for such a long time theres really not been any time for me to set up a box with this, but boy! i am inspired now and gonna get this baby up and running very soon.

Thanka ton again for bringing this latest update to light here.

16. Chuck57

Okay, gang, I burned OpenSUSE 10.3 to a CD, from Linux Distrowatch. Now, a question:

I got as far as the install screen but it says nothing about running it as a live CD. There's install, install something else and a couple of more options.

Can it be run live, or is it install only?

I stopped at the install screen, rather than chance going any further.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The Suse 10.3 i downloaded was from one of the URL's posted at the top of this thread and was intentional that i chose the INSTALLABLE version not distro, if there is one.

Not sure about a "live" CD version, maybe someone can better clarify.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think the live cd's are out yet. I do remember reading somewhere that there would be live cd's released within a week or two. So if you're looking for that it should be out pretty soon.

19. Chuck57

Thanks kerodo. I'll keep this one and when I get a chance to burn a live CD, we'll see. I might have 3 to decide between if OpenSUSE is as good as what I've been reading. I remember OpenSUSE from a long time ago when it was SUSE, and was one of the favorites of quite a few people on different Linux forums.

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Kerodo,

Thanks for you suggestion ;)

I will do that...

21. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm not sure if there is a livecd version or not, in the past opensuse was the only top distro that wasn't a livecd with an option to install to HDD.

it comes with apparmor which is an application FW, you run a program in profile mode and do everything the program can do and apparmor will profile it and only allow that program to do those things in the future. if you want to add something later on you can.

i think there might be two version you can download, a gnome version and a KDE version, these are the download mirrors -
    http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Released_Version
    if you look here, next to X86, there's a gnome or KDE download
    http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Released_Version#United_Kingdom

i still think if you haven't used linux before you should start with ubuntu, that's because any problem you might have will already have been anwsered in the forums, so all you have to do is search the ubuntuforums for anwsers to questions you have. if you end up asking a question it will be anwsered in about 10 minutes. the ubuntu forum is all you need to get started, if you use a different distro you wont have anything like the same support.

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

one thing i don't like about linux is how frequently a new version comes out, but there's not much that can be done about that i suppose, suse doesn't release quite as often as some other distros though.

i've got two HDDs on my main computer so from now on i'm going to install a new distro every 6 months alternating the HDDs, so when it's time to install a new distro i'll have had 6 months to setup and transfer files over to the other distro. i'm thinking of using debian because it has the best repos.

25. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Stable or testing? Either one, you'll never leave then :D
    It doesn't have a LiveCD though, you have to build one (there's info in the Wiki i think).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.