OpenOffice Impress - how play embedded audio in pps fr. Windows ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Someone with a Windows machine sent me a .pps with embedded audio. The slideshow is fine but there is no audio.
    Is there anything one can do with Impress to get embedded audio to play with a .pps created with Powerpoint in Windows ?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

I'm not sure whether these'll give you what you want. The first maybe closer. Site1, site2.

3. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Which OO are you using? Did you try Go-oo?
    Mrk

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Using OOo 3 Karmic and 2.4 Hardy. Can only play audio in my self created slideshows, but no luck with those pps ppt sent occasionally by Windows users.
    I have all the gstreamer plugins.
    It looks like the Kubuntu users are lucky as their OOo is based on Go-oo which apparently has OpenOffice compiled against gstreamer.
    Judging by the links provided by GlobalForce it looks like Go-oo is the only foolproof way to overcome this problem.
    Would I need to uninstall the entire OOo suite before installing Go-oo ? If so it's not really worth my while as I don't often receive powerpoints with embedded audio.

Thank you GlobalForce, phaedrus and Mrk for input.

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I see - well now I am stumped. Can you all play audio embedded in a pps that was created by Microsoft's Powerpoint in OOo that comes with Ubuntu ?
    I have made a couple of slideshows in OOo Impress with embedded audio as background music for the duration of the entire show, that is not my problem.

Googling around a little it appears that the vast majority of Ubuntu users are in the same boat i.e. they are also unable to 'enjoy' those damn pps sent to them from their Windows friends. Some say install all the spaghetti western gstreamer plugins - makes no difference, I had them already installed.

Not a tragedy, I will in my spare time continue searching for (hopefully) a simple solution. :)

8. linuxforall

Ocky,

I never faced this issue yet, have you tried upgrading to OO 3.2 and see if this issue goes away. Also have you installed gstreamer bad and ugly plugins as well?

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yeah, I call them the spaghetti western plugins .. the good ..the bad and the ..
    Nice theme music by Ennio Morricone sets the scene. :D

10. linuxforall

LOL! how bout Fistful of Dollars and a Few Dollars More? His best work was in Pier Paolo Passolini's Salo, 101 Days of Sodom.

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Great stuff indeed ... still need to get 101 Days of Sodom. :)

Morricone.jpg

12. linuxforall

Tell me how you like it and also Cafe Luna.

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Well the upgrade to 3.2 went very well. The main thing I noticed is a remakable speed increase throughout. Starts up more or less instantaneously.
    However (maybe due to something format specific; wma perhaps) it still won't play the audio embedded in a pps created with PowerPoint in Windows. The media player is fine and plays mp3, ogg, avi, mov etc. and I can embed audio in slideshows that I make with OOo 3x
    All in all the speed is a nice improvement.

OpenOffice 3.2.png OOo playing mov.png

14. linuxforall

Have you enabled the unstripped extra libraries? sudo apt-get install ffmpeg libavcodec-extra-52

15. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Hi, linuxforall,

Yup, libavcodec-extra-52 libavdevice-extra-52 libavfilter-extra-0 libavutil-extra-49 libpostproc-extra-51 libswscale-extra-0
    The 'extra' packages were needed for Kdenlive video editor. I think they render the 'transitional' libavcodec-unstripped-52 pkg.obsolete.

FFmpeg version SVN-r19352-4:0.5+svn20090706-2ubuntu2, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
    configuration: --extra-version=4:0.5+svn20090706-2ubuntu2 --prefix=/usr --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --disable-stripping --disable-vhook --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --extra-cflags=-I/build/buildd/ffmpeg-0.5+svn20090706/debian/include --enable-shared --disable-static
    libavutil 49.15. 0 / 49.15. 0
    libavcodec 52.20. 0 / 52.20. 0
    libavformat 52.31. 0 / 52.31. 0
    libavdevice 52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
    libavfilter 0. 4. 0 / 0. 4. 0
    libswscale 0. 7. 1 / 0. 7. 1
    libpostproc 51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
    built on Oct 13 2009 22:35:00, gcc: 4.4.1

I am thinking that with this particular pps it may be due to audio format, aac is broken in the karmic ffmpeg version - although it says it's installed. The Kdenlive forums are full of it.

16. linuxforall

For aac to work, you need to compile the latest ffmpeg, if you are game, there is an excellent guide at Ubuntuforums by Fake Outdoorsman, its a simple matter of copy/paste but you must make sure to remove all previous related stuff. AAC works fine when compiled so if you are game, I will post the link for you.

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks.. ahem...despite being a rather risk averse type, I would certainly appreciate you pointing me to the guide by Fake Outdoorsman, if only for educational purposes. Who knows, after digesting the guide I might be less risk averse. :)
    So far I have been content to follow the path of least resistance (in Kdenlive, WinFF etc.) by simply replacing avcodec=aac with avcodec=mp3 in the profiles of the programs - see below. Do you know whether this aac problem is present in Lucid ? Regards.
    Kdenlive profile.png

18. linuxforall

19. linuxforall

20. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Found an easier way without needing to compile and risking messed up multimedia. Also from Fake Outdoorsman. I simply used the C. option adding the Medibuntu repo, and then installing ffmpeg libavcodec-extra-52 as described here:- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1117283
    Have tried it and all is well. Kdenlive can now use aac - see screenshot. (Path of least resistance followed - not learning much re. compiling ffmpeg but wtf it's easier, safe and much faster.) :D
    (Note the acodec=libfaac; before it was shown as aac which didn't work). Forget about the pps - it still won't play embedded audio, so I must assume that OOo is not capable of playing embedded audio in a pps created with PowerPoint in Windows.

With aac support.png

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  21. linuxforall

Ocky, thats exactly what I meant when I asked you to install the extra unstripped codecs via the command. Its quite strange, I recelive many pps files made with MS Powerpoint that have embedded sound and they play nicely here.

22. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, but they must be from Medibuntu, I already had the non Medibuntu version.

Medibuntu libavcodec.jpg

23. linuxforall

Yep should have mentioned that, first thing I do after all installs is put up the medibuntu repos, its a must.

24. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks for your guides. All's well that ends well ! :)

I extracted the contents of the .pps. There is no audio ! (Very misleading).
    So my assumption that OOo could not play embedded audio if the .pps was created with
    Microsoft PowerPoint was wrong.
    Solved.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.