OpenCandy Question

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by jpcummins, Jan 16, 2015.

1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I recently downloaded the program "awesome_photo_finder.exe"; the program was recommended by PC Magazine. As I always do I scanned the file with VirusTotal and these scanners found the following:

AVG - OpenCandy.3CF
    DrWeb - Adware.OpenCandy.55
    ESET-Nod32 - a variant of Win32/OpenCandy.C
    NANO-Antivirus - Trojan.Win32.OpenCandy.dlsdxl

I searched the internet for OpenCandy and it would appear from what I read that it had to do more with advertising then being harmful.

Does anyone have any experience with the program? And if so, did you also scan it with VirusTotal? I guess basically my question is should I be concerned with what the above scanners detected and do you recommend I pass this program by. My system, is to my knowledge, clean and I definitely want to keep it that way.

As always I appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

2. guest

guest Guest

It is an advertising software that scans your system to acquire data so it can give you customised offers. The definition of "harmful" may differ depending on which perspective you view it from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCandy
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/controversial-advertising-program-now-being-embedded-more-software.htm
    http://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/06/opencandy-explained-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-technology/

3. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

From my experience with it I believe it's just stuff that can be unchecked during the install. It's bundled with the installers of various programs, but not in the programs themselves once installed (and if you uncheck everything during install). Last I knew anyway.

4. guest

guest Guest

BTW, I find it to be very disappointing that there are only 4 AVs that detect the adware. I understand the controversy, but the users should be protected from these adware as they are most definitely unwanted intruders.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

The software "awesome_photo_finder.exe" itself is probably clean and safe to use.

The PUA and Adware detections is triggered due to what comes bundled in the installer which in this case is opencandy.

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes, that's still the case.

Some antiviruses will detect and quaratine an installer if it includes OpenCandy. Some, will just quarantine the OpenCandy files when the installer is launched, which lets the installer run minus OpenCandy, so there is no 3rd party software offered during the install.

7. guest

guest Guest

There are so many bundled software it is so worrisome. I've managed to encounter a few that didn't inform me about the bundle, let alone allowing me to deselect them. Although I have no idea if they were affiliated with OpenCandy or not.

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

ESET flags OpenCandy as it's a recognized PUA "Potentially unwanted app" - containing greyware software that could do your PC or device damage if the software used contained OpenCandy.

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

What seems to be the latest thing with some of the bundled software uninstallers is when you run them you then have to untick further offers during the uninstall. Failure to spot them means the original software is uninstalled but new ones are installed :'(

Yes I know most here can avoid getting the bundled software in the first place, but it's just more things for 'ordinary' folk to watch out for.

10. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Woooow... They know no limits to stooping so low.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.