Open with GIMP still in context menu

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Brandonn2010, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Hello. I couldn't find any solutions on Google. I installed GIMP on my computer over a year ago but removed it. However, for pictures I still have the open with GIMP option in the context menu. I have used CCleaner's registry cleaner but it still remains. Can anyone help?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

Brandonn2010, perhaps you can use Nirsoft's ShellMenuView to find the GIMP entry and disable it. Make sure you download the x64 version.

3. Brandonn2010

Weird. I used that and couldn't find anything that had GIMP mentioned.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

5. Brandonn2010

Nope still nothing. I might reinstall it then uninstall and see if that fixes it, or at least makes it show up in the viewers.

6. Brandonn2010

Well right now I'm taking a photoshop class, and after reinstalling GIMP, I realized how much GIMP is like it, I think I will keep it for now lol.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

Nothing wrong with that! :cool: Here's GIMP Portable if you want to try it.

For future reference, the last step would have been to tweak the registry: Remove Programs from the Open With Menu in Explorer (Backing up the Registry is a MUST!). If you are unsure about working with the Registry, don't try it.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I cannot recall now, I think I had that issue once with either Gimp or VLC. If memory serves, while the app was installed, I went into an option and told it not to use context menu entries, then uninstalled it.

Sul.

9. Brandonn2010

I will try what you said Sully. After actually tried to edit an image, I remember why I stopped using it; ease of use. Some things that are so simple to do in Paint.NET and Photoshop are hard in GIMP. Oh well, maybe in 5 years it will be different lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.