Open Source security setup for XP

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by nomarjr3, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Looking for a stable and efficient open source setup which covers the following: Antivirus, Firewall, HIPS, and Virtualization.

Any recommendations will be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

You really mean open source and not free (as in beer)? Hmmm, good luck. :blink:

3. nomarjr3

I am looking for open source solutions.
    Thus, it should obviously be free.

4. doktornotor

Well... as said, good luck. I don't know of any open source firewall or HIPS for Windows. You can use ClamWin as AV, not really sure what kind of virtualization you want, Virtualbox has open source edition.

(As a side note, open source definitely does not equal free as in beer, there are lots of commercial stuff such as RHEL or SLES linux distributions e.g.)

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  7. doktornotor

This requires a Linux/BSD-based server to work; debated here before.

You'd be better of sticking with ClamWin I guess, the real-time part of the Moon AV is non-existent ATM anyway.

8. nomarjr3

9. nomarjr3

BTW I made this post because I and a friend of mine had a discussion about closed source and open source apps.
    He told me that open source apps are capable of doing what closed source apps can do, and so much more.

So out of curiosity, I want to try out some open source security programs and see for myself if they can rival, or at least be on par, with the best closed source security programs out on the market right now.

So far, I haven't found a single one :rolleyes:

10. testerazzi

testerazzi Registered Member

HIPS: Winpooch

Firewall: dcfirewall

IP blocker: PeerGuardian

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

The difference is obvious. Most open source/free software is developed for equally free/open Operating Systems - Linux, BSD.. for a variety of obvious reasons.

If you want to setup Windows with "open source", get SuRun (GPL license) and start using a Limited User Account.

For a firewall, there's WIPFW.

12. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I know...(I tested it for a week)...

You are welcome. :)
    Take a look also to untangle

Panagiotis

13. doktornotor

Uhm... security apps seriously are not the best way to judge open source in Windows world. For starters, there are completely different requirements for this kind of stuff for Linux/BSD-based operating systems and Windows.

E.g., antivirus is basically completely useless on Linux. The only use for this are file/mailservers that serve Windows clients.

Antispyware/antimalware stuff - eh, what for?

IPS/IDS - well yeah, there are very good solutions for Linux, but again - mostly server-oriented stuff, though you can use them on Linux workstations.

You want secured/hardened workstations? Sure, use SELinux/AppArmor which are both kernel-level solutions, there's grsecurity, RSBAC, PaX (address space layout randomizations and stack smashing protections implemented on toolchain level) etc. - but as you can see, the Linux security model is totally different from Windows.

14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Have a look at core force = FIREWALL + HIPS (application policy rules) + DATA firewall (like drivesentry).

It is a ptity the project development is practically dead. I have last tested on XP SP2 PC, is really a techies tool

15. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

Might be just me....but i wouldn't want to defend myself with an application who's code is given away for free..its like..u can bypass me ---->that way

16. doktornotor

Sure, hidden backdoors you don't know about are definitely more secure... :D :eek: Security through obscurity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.