Oops?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Leafybeansprout, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leafybeansprout

Leafybeansprout Registered Member

Hiya, im here to ask a question.

I had downloaded TDS-3 demo a few days ago, and everthing is working fine. However this afternoon I saw a post on a icq chatroom about the latest update. So i click the link and download the update. It asks for the install directory and patches. It asks me to restart. I do. So I then go to open TDS and it says "illegal keyfile" or "bad (something).Dll . few secs after that my pc wouldnt respond, and crashes. I couldnt get it to boot into windows or windows safe mode. So i had to Reformat and reinstall. :doubt:

Now im not saying it was your fault. becuase im starting to think that the file i downloaded wasnt a patch at all. could it have been a virus? o_O or a file made to screw up TDS? all i know is that im pretty shaken up about it becuase i had Av running and my firewall up. :'(

I hope to hear a responce soon.

Thanks again,
    Leafybeansprout

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello Leafybeansprout

The obvious question is did you download the file directly from the DiamondCS website? If not then perhaps someone posted an adulterated file and has got your computer infected possibly.

Nevertheless someone from DiamondCS shall be responding here soon. Hang tight.

We hope all works out fine for you. Best wishes

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Leafybeansprout,

The only trustworthy source to manually download updates is the one over on the DCS website, over here.

All other sources are suspicious by nature - and irc for sure.

The file you've downloaded and installed could have been fairly everything; since you've reformatted, there's no way to find out anymore.

I would recommend installing a new trial version, and download and install the latest database update from the one and only trusted source mentioned above.

regards.

paul

4. Leafybeansprout

Yea, the mistake was mine. I forgot rule #1. check to see if its a offical update. Im just a update freak, if it has a update i find it :D

Ill go ahead and download the demo agian to check for trojans.

Thanks for the advise. Another lesson learned the hard way i guess?

EDIT: It was a virus. norton just cleaned from my memory.

5. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Do you have the url where you downloaded that 'Update' ??
    Dolf

6. Leafybeansprout

I wish i did. would be good to post as a warning. Even more i wish I had the name of the guy who posted the url. If i happen to find it agian ill post it.

7. Q Section

Leafybeansprout - since you are rather new to the forums - have you seen this forum? It is found here in Wilders and it has quite a lot of update notifications for security programs. Once alerted one can then go to the Official website for the respective updates and download. Also, many programs have an update function within them which links one to the Official website for that program.

Best wishes

8. Leafybeansprout

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This will be a major help. I have already bookmarked it and "Might" make it my homepage :D

9. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

good link Qsection, i didn't know it, thx you :)

10. Q Section

You are both quite welcome! :cool:

11. Leafybeansprout

3 cheers for Qsection and all who gave me advise! :D

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi again Leafybeansprout ! bad experience for you. Seems the only thing you could do was what you did; think the TDS lab would be highly interested in the file (or at least URL) to protect others from so much damage of course.
    I'm very sorry this happened to you.
    Hope all is well now with your system and please get the only real updates from the TDS site as written above!

BTW: via the link in my signature you can jump to the DCS forum at their site -- need to register as a member another time there-- to the general parts only as the private forum there is only available for those who registered their TDS!.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.