oop's I done it too

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Kypmeister, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kypmeister

Kypmeister Registered Member

Hi There,

I have been reading with everything about Dell's 2 hidden partitions. Like most folk I deleted mine, and now find it imopossible to restore.

I have a friend who has the same system as me with the same spec. Am I able to use Ture Image to gain a image of his hard drive and copy it to mine?

Also I have a WINXP on my system would I be able to transfer the copied image onto my system without corrupting the current O/S?

Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Kypmeister

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

3. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

You can create an image of his hard drive and restore it to yours but there will be problems.

The only way CTL+F11 Dell PC Restore will work on your machine is if you create and restore an ENTIRE disk image. You can't selectively restore or change partitions without disabling Dell PC Restore.

Also, the restored image will have exactly the same size partitions as his so you can't expand or contract them to fit your drive if it's a different size.

Both machines will have the exact same operating system as well as all applicable serial numbers, etc. for the OS and programs.

Both machines will also have the same system ID's so they can't both be on the same network at the same time without confusion. You'll need to run MS Sysprep.

Both systems will share the same service tag and express service code when restored from the Dell image because those numbers reside in the restore image and can't be changed. However, after a restore you can edit the service tag and express service code within the Windows folder.

And, on and on. In other words, you can do it but the result is counterproductive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.