Ontrack's System Suite 4

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Marianna, Nov 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Anyone knows where - in which folder - I can find the Trend Micro Virus Definitions??

Geez - must be monday - I can NOT find it :D

TIA :)

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Marianna,

I just installed the latest pattern-file on my SystemSuite 3, and then I did a check with the Integrity Checker ADinf32 Pro to look for file-changes. See the screenshot. I hope this might help you a bit.

Attached Files:

3. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Hi Jan ;)

Thanks......but.......I still can't find it.....there is NO folder for the anti virus in Program Files\Ontrack\System Suite

... and you also can't "see" in WHICH subfolder the updates "disappear" ??

Kinda "weird" :eek:

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

You might also check your registry.
    If I remember me well I have put SystemSuite in the exclusion list of RegRun.

I hope Root will also jump in here cause he also runs both SystemSuite 4 and RR, if I remember me well.

5. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Thanks, Jan

I "thought" there would be a folder with the AV definition updates like Symantec or AVG. I have NO problems finding these two - so I was "curious" :D

Well, the definition updates from today went "somewhere" o_O

6. root

root Registered Member

Wish I could help but I don't have a clue.
    The only thing I can think of is to wait a week, and first thing in the morning, update your virus defs.
    Immediately do a search for file created or modified in the last day. That will narrow it down to few enough files to look thru hopefully.
    I don't know what else I could suggest.
    Good luck. :)

7. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

HI Root ;)

thanks a lot ! I "thought" it would be so easy to find . Normally - meaning for Symantec it is found in "symantec shared" and AVG has its own folder for updates. Well, it is not "crucial" to me - I only got "curious" :D

Should I "fall" over it "by accident" - I'll let you know :D

8. crkit1

crkit1 Registered Member

ezupdate.cfg and releasenotes.txt are in c:/program files/ontrack/system suite...ez has info about virus scanner and releasenotes is last virus update notes. :D

9. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

crkit1 you are SUPER :D

Found it - You made my day !

Thanks for pointing to the right direction!

10. crkit1

crkit1 Registered Member

:D My pleasure!

11. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

kudoos, crkit1! ;)

regards.

paul

12. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I might be wrong, but with all due respect: I still think that the real virus-definitions are in this file: lpt$vpn.nnn where those latest three characters nnn mean the number of the pattern file.

What you see in releasenotes.txt is what I post in Update-Alerts if I post there about a new pattern-file: it just contains the info about new and changed virus-definitions.

13. FanJ

FanJ Guest

And what you find in ezupdate.cfg is something like this (now in that file on my system):
    [hr]
    [Misc]
    Title=SystemSuite 3.0
    Company=Ontrack
    HelperDLL=mxezup.dll

[Components]
    AntiVirus_Tables=SUB
    SystemSuite=ROOT

[SystemSuite]
    Version=3.0.1.52
    URL=http://www.ontrack.com/easyupdate/SystemSuite/3.1/English/SystemSuite.cfg

[AntiVirus_Tables]
    Version=2002.11.05
    URL=http://www.ontrack.com/easyupdate/TrendAV/Tables/e-tav.cfg

[MergeCFG]
    Version=2001.03.22
    URL=http://www.ontrack.com/easyupdate/SystemSuite/3.1/English/merge.cfg

[HelperDLL]
    Version=2001.03.15
    URL=http://www.ontrack.com/easyupdate/SystemSuite/3.1/English/helper.cfg

[Ads]
    DefaultURL=http://www.ontrack.com/easyupdate/SystemSuite/3.1/English/addef.zip
    InstallURL=http://www.ontrack.com/easyupdate/SystemSuite/3.1/English/adinst.zip
    NoUpdateURL=http://www.ontrack.com/easyupdate/SystemSuite/3.1/English/adlatest.zip

14. FanJ

FanJ Guest

lpt$vpn.379 5.836.566 5-11-02 22:44 a

c:\Program Files\Ontrack\SystemSuite\

Look at the size of that file; it's the largest of those files which I posted earlier in that screenshot of ADinf with all the changed and new files after a virus-def-update.

15. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Hi Jan,

I only wanted to mention, crkit1 "pushed" me into the right direction as I was looking for a "folder" containing the definition files like Symantec and AVG :D

Thanks and have a great weekend ;)

16. crkit1

crkit1 Registered Member

Hi Jan! I used your screenshot data to find the files. I just wanted to see what was in that .cfg file, but I got carried away. Thanks. I always appreciate a spur toward understanding.
    I looked at lpt$vpn.379 because it is sooooo big. I didn't mention it though, because when opened with wordpad, it is code. It looked like the right stuff but, I didn't know it for a fact. Is there a way to see these kinds of files in plain English?
    Just passed on what I found that might help Mar. find what she needed. I thought she was looking for lost definitions she had downloaded. Please forgive my extremely limited knowledge.
    I need to know a lot of things. :) Links to knowledge about the computer and/or programs are always appreciated by me. :-* Thanks! :D

17. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Crkit1 and Marianna,

I apologize that I sounded a bit hard; it was surely not my intention to hurt any of you! I should not have posted like I did!!

Crkit1, I'm only more or less guessing that the real virus-definitions are in that file. But based upon the file-changes after a virus-defs-update, I think it is a good guess.....
    I think it would be better not to try to look deeper in that file; if it indeed contains what-we-call-for-the-moment the virus-definitions, then it contains the code from TrendMicro to detect virusses; and we'd better leave that alone (well, that would be my suggestion....).

Warm regards to you both !!!
    Jan.

18. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Hi Jan ;)

no problemos :D .......no hard feelings :)

Have a great weekend !

19. crkit1

crkit1 Registered Member

:D Jan...I know you are always looking out for us..and thank you for that! :) I should stick with what I know anyway. Have a great weekend. :D

I don't usually fool around with files that won't even let me read them. I'm just very nosey and curious. I was wondering if there is a way to read them, without a degree in programing. And, without breaking anything? o_O

20. robert

robert Guest

I am very interested to know if this is the same suite that v com have taken over , and if so is it good as a combined anti viruis and firewall utility . I had purchased kaspersky a few months back but had untold problems with many issues so now have dumped it , and do need to look seriously at another solution . I noticed that Pest patrol (forgive me for mentioning them , have advertised this suite on there site .. Which reminds me , im still awaiting an email for my version 4 ) It seemed like a good sound utility and would appreciate some advice , thank you kindly
    Robert

21. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Robert,

Yes it is the same. VCOM has bought the "home-user"-programs from Ontrack, like for example SystemSuite, Powerdesk, Fix-It and Internet CleanUp.

It depends a little bit on what you want and how much you want to pay....
    As far as I know, the AV in SystemSuite is a more or less stripped down version of PC-Cillin 2000 from TrendMicro, and the firewall a more or less stripped down version of Sygate Free.
    (BTW: I myself have only the previous version of SystemSuite: version 3).

You wrote that you already had bought Kaspersky and had dumped it.
    If I were you, I would start here a new thread in which you could tell us what your problems were, which Windows-version you use and about which version of KAV you are talking.
    By doing so, you could get help from experienced KAV-users to try to solve your problems. KAV is a very nice AV and it would indeed be a waste of money to drop it.....

If you have some problem with PestPatrol, I would start a thread about it in "Other-Anti-trojan-software" or ask at their own forum.

I hope this helps a little bit.

22. robert

robert Guest

Thank you Fran J for your kind advice . I will not look any further with the newer version of system suite . My kaspersky is a lite version that i purchased 4 months back or so . My pc is very old and i am very inexperienced with such , It was left by a freind who travelled overseas , and is a wind 95 version with only 32 rams , so thats most likely my problem . I may need to install more rams to get it up and running ( it clanks an groans like a car thats run out of oil ) However im not in a position to upgrade to a better pc . I have been in touch with kaspersky labs on a number of occassions but have not succeeded in getting it up and running . It worked fine until i updated it , then it went wacky on me . I believe its my lack of knowledge and abilities that limit my use of such . However the addiction to the net is getting deeper lol and although i limit my journeys to sights such as this wonderful site (i might as well make it my home page ) i still need to sort this out . I am tring nod out today and it works really well and does not effect the running of my system whatso ever . Thank you once again . I have a look an stop firewall that i have set to enharnced ruleset and that will most likely be ok for my use . Kind regards , Robert

23. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Robert,

The firewall Look-n-Stop is a very good one, and (if I understood it well from others; I don't have it myself) it is light on resources compared to other firewalls. So this might be a good choice for you. Others might jump in here as well, but I think that choice is a better one than the one that comes with SystemSuite.

The AV NOD32, which you said you are trying now, is a really very good one. If it runs OK on your system and you have the money for it, I surely would advice: go for it.

It's a pity that couldn't get KAV Lite running on your system.
    As I said before: you could always start a new thread here with questions about it; maybe you could get some help that could work for you. In that case you could use NOD32 as your resident AV-scanner (which means that that is the one that always runs in the background on your system), and you could use KAV Lite as a second opinion (which means that you don't let its resident scanner KAV Lite Monitor running, but only use KAV Lite on-demand to do a full system scan; BTW: never run two AV's at the same time: in case you would let your second one do a full system scan then temporarily disable your resident AV).

But at this moment I would advice: if NOD32 runs fine on your system: go for it!!! Same with respect to Look-n-Stop.
    Make yourself comfortable with those two!
    If you think you're OK with these two, I think it's time also to look for an Anti-Trojan program. TDS-3 is the best one but it might be a little problem on your system (but please: I'm not quite sure here); you could always try the trial version of TDS-3 and see how it acts on your system. In case it might ask too much from your system, I think BOClean is the one to go for.

Anyhow: (as I said before) first go for NOD32 and Look-n-Stop and see how it goes; it is definitely a very good choice.
    And please feel always free to ask questions!

Cheers, Jan.

24. root

root Registered Member

Hi Robert. Just a thought after reading this thread.
    I would suggest going to PC Flank and running several of the scan tests to check out your firewall and make sure its working properly.
    www.pcflank.com/test.htm
    If you have NOD32, keep it updated, and it is running resident in the background, there is no need to test that. You can test it by downloading the eicar test file if you want.
    http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
    NOD32 is not great as an anti trojan, so you really should do something in that area.

25. Robert

Robert Guest

Hi Jan , Thank you for your wonderful support . I am running with look an stop and Nod currently and there is no problems with them . I downloaded TDS # , but unfortunately its like trying to tow a train with a bicycle on my system , so i have sadly had to unload it . (bit of a mountain climb there with learning how it works too , for me lol ) I will now need to look at a sound trojan download , so I will follow your advice and have a look at Bo Clean . I will have a go at re downloading my kaspersky and follow your suggestion with having it as a on demand scanner ( if I can work through diabling the monitor . I would appreciate coming back to you with this if i get into confusion working that out please . Once again thank you for your instant help , kindest regards , Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.