Online tv

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rarebeast, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rarebeast

rarebeast Registered Member

hello everybody, I have seen a lot ads for online tv, are any of these safe or any good. Any feedback at all would be great if any of yous know much about this please do point out any the good and bad points of these services.....o_O

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey there, the only two that I'm aware of at the moment that are legit is from here: http://www.anytvplayer.com/ and http://www.hulu.com. I've used both and they work fine, no security issues I'm aware of. With AnyTv, mostly what you'll get are overseas newscasts and such, but there are some good things there. Hulu is pretty new and has quite a few episodes from old and new Tv shows, a few full length movies, and tons and tons of clips from both (you can tell some networks still refuse to believe they can make a killing if they would just quit trying to deem everything internet bad for their pockets and just embrace the technology that isn't going to go away whether they like it or not...political rant over.)

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I think Joost or Miro might be what you want.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Depends on what he's really wanting, those two sites you mentioned seemed to be of the "viral video" and You-Tube-type variety, meaning not any actual tv. I'm not really sure you'll be able to find any truly tv-type websites due to DMCA crap and all that. I'll keep on Googling for you though, heck I'd like this type of thing myself.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hulu is awesome! I also check CBS.com for some shows that aren't on Hulu. Hulu is a Fox and NBC-Universal run service, so the content is limited to shows they either air or own. Some great old classic shows too!

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Same type of thing, viral videos, clips
    :thumbd:

I'll be back here shortly, I'm testing out a couple of apps for this.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Here ya go, try this for starters: http://www.tvunetworks.com/ Good amount of cable stations (CBS, Sci-Fi, etc), satellite and such. Completely free too :) I checked the files at install, perfectly safe.

9. HURST

HURST Registered Member

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's weird, I thought I had went to this place and it didn't work right. Now it's fine and you're right, a boatload of stuff.

11. rarebeast

rarebeast Registered Member

thanks everybody i'll try them all out and see what i like...

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No problem, keep in mind the majority of these are not truly live, if live tv is what you are looking for. TVUNetworks is "live", but most channels are on West Coast time. So, it was live for me 3 hours ago (I'm on East Coast) :)

13. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

i saw an ad for something called JohnQTV - ...they claim to have a gazillion channels - ESPN, HBO, all kinds of the good cable channels, mlb.com(?).....
    and its supposedly a one time fee of $39.95 - not sure i believe that though.....

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hmm, I checked out their website (http://www/johnqtv.com). I don't know, if you're going to part with your money, I'd be checking in to how all these networks are giving the OK to this program. If it's illegal, hell, find the same things for free via TVUNetworks, Youtube, and such. Not sure what to think of this one yet, I just know I got better things to do with 39 bucks at the moment :)

15. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

i think i tried TVUNetworks on Vista and it wouldnt run for some reason - its that round green thing in the system tray? i left clicked an right-clicked and nothing happened so i uninstalled...if they got HBO and ESPN and stuff like that
    i should try it again.....the johnQ thing looked a little suspect...

is 500-800 kbps cellular broadband too slow for this stuff? i had mlb.com
    a month ago, but i gave up, but that was mostly live streaming

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Not sure about the Vista issues to be honest. The thing with TVU is the channels change every so often. The person streaming the channel will get found out, they'll lay low for a bit or put a different channel up, then the channel that got taken off will come back. HBO and such, I don't recall and the network seems to be having issues so I can't log in at the moment. I will find out though.

As far as speed, I'm not too sure your speed will work well (I'm on 10mbps cable btw, not sure how cellular broadband differs in speed measurement).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.