Online banking and hotspots

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by JuanP1000, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuanP1000

JuanP1000 Registered Member

Hi,

Next month i will travel to USA and might need to do some online banking thru hotspots. Would you please suggest a setup for this on my laptop (win7 x64 Home) or I have to avoid it completely?

2. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

By hotspots do you mean to say public wifi? If that is so then I would like to tell you NOT to do any online banking using a public wifi since most of them, if not all, are unsecured; and that advice also stands even when your computer is well protected.

Buon Viaggio by the way. :)

3. tlu

tlu Guest

The OP should make sure that his banking site is SSL secured. And he should use the Perspectives addon available for Firefox and Chrome as a protection against Man-in-the-middle attacks.

4. JuanP1000

Yes public wi-fi. I will do the online banking with Chrome and Prevx SOL, I wonder if is mandatory to use something like Comodo Trustconnect or Hotspot Shield?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'd say boot from a Linux LiveCD (or FlashDrive).

6. tlu

tlu Guest

But that doesn't protect against MITM attacks which are a threat in public wifis. The only protection I'm aware of is, as mentioned, Perspectives.

7. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Or he boot from linux live usb with firefox installed (plus no script and perspective add on).

Chrome + prevx SOL should also protect u from MTM attack. Just add few cool tweak from kees, u can read the thread on "other malware"

Third option : use firefox 4 + trusteer raport + no script

Either option should give u a strong protection while doing online banking.
    Nothing is 100% bullet proof, so I add layered approach. OA Premium has online banking mode ;)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  8. JuanP1000

Thanks tlu and blasev for your answers. Do you think trustconnect from Comodo be a good option for banking?

9. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :)

10. x942

x942 Guest

I would say secure windows as much as you feel comfortable and than use a VPN. If you have a spare computer you can leave running at home than you can setup Hamtchi (Free) and bridge your internet connection with it. This assures you are in charge and your connection is secure.

11. blasev

blasev Registered Member

never tried comodo trustconnect
    but....
    as per x942 post
    u can try hamtchi, personally I think that would be a better option

12. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, sure - I agree. But again: That alone doesn't protect against MITM attacks. Thus, the best solution is a Linux live CD with Firefox + Perspectives in combination with Certificate Watch. And Noscript is always a good decision :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.