Online Armor v7 released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by andrewf, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Actually all our licenses have expiration dates and become invalid if they haven't been activated within a certain time frame. License codes obtained through some kind of sale or were given away for free for example usually expire after a month. That's the only way we can prevent users from stockpiling dozens of keys during sales or giveaways.

If you still have the invoice of your Online Armor purchase, I am sure we can work something out though.

2. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Just tested it on my Windows 8.1 workstation and it works fine for me. I suggest you contact the Online Armor support at oasupport@emsisoft.com :).

3. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Unfortunately, it does not work so well on my XP system and I have reverted to the prior stable release (via a restored image) which is much more compliant.

Worse yet, I couldn't even attempt a clean install as OA's uninstall function no longer works and I have been informed by Fabian that no uninstall tool is available.

4. gregd

gregd Registered Member

I'm confused by "full Windows 8.1 support". What does this mean? This version of OA is not showing any firewall alerts while in the "metro" UI.

5. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Tested that in Win 7 32 bit today, doesn't work.

Edit: Win 7/Domain blocking works when using Firefox, but does not with IE. Strange.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  6. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Which is to be expected. Online Armor is after all still a desktop application and desktop applications can't get focus while Metro is active. That is a limitation that most anti-viruses and firewalls have to deal with at the moment. Some try to correct this by displaying a toast notification, but those can be disabled by users as well.

7. gregd

gregd Registered Member

Which is what I was trying to say. I couldn't remember what the notifications were called, but the expected behavior is for toast notifications to be sent to the metro UI, which OA does not do.

8. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Again, toast notifications are only a band aid. They don't fix the actual problem which most likely can't be fixed at all as a lot of users have toast notifications disabled. There are a few other hacks, like emulating the "Switch to Desktop" shortcut whenever an alert shows up to switch to Desktop, but again, those are just hacks. Microsoft unfortunately failed to put a mechanism in place that can't be deactivated to do things like these which is evident by the fact that Microsoft was forced to remove the option to ask what action should be taken when an infection was found in Windows Defender.

9. ifacedown

ifacedown Registered Member

These patches are already available via Windows Update. October 18, 10:17, +08 Philippines

10. guest

guest Guest

Actually, no. You still can enable the chatty mode for Windows Defender, at least in Windows 8 Pro.

SQP.jpg

Unless of course, I misunderstood your post. If that's the case, then sorry. :D

11. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

You can also just change the value in registry. But that wasn't really the point. The point is, that even Microsoft has no real concept on how to manage these types of notifications coming from Desktop applications in Windows 8, so they changed the defaults to get rid of them and hid the option to restore the old behavior.

12. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Thanks to Fabian for providing help behind the scenes which resulted in my being able to uninstall v6 and install v7. :cool: :thumb:

13. guest

guest Guest

Oh I see. Yes, it's pretty annoying that I don't see any notifications when I have to use the MetroUI, made me confused at why did it freeze. Turned out that there was a popup from OA about logger-like behavior in the desktop. Microsoft just love to push the touch UI gimmick and closing their ports to welcome the more important arrivals. :cautious:

14. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Gave it a try on 7x64, still had the conflict with SBIE as usual, froze system when trying to recover a file (from SBIE). This is a ongoing problem for OA, Probably because the updates (SBIE) are coming so fast.
    Also running Call of Duty Black Ops II the frame rate suffers terribly. Uninstalled, and CODBO2 running fine.

15. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I encounter the same problem as I tried to install V7 this afternoon. My system froze right away as soon as I started SBIE.:( Uninstalled and the problem was gone. It's too bad because I really like OA

16. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

@ Antarctica :
    @ Blues7:
    So the new OA does have an uninstaller, just no clean up tool?
    Anyone know if there are manual clean up instructions?

It's just a question-in-advance as I don't want to commit to OA and then find I can't recover from the installation as I intend using Defense Wall also on my Win7x32bit.

-cheers
    feandur.

17. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Feandur,

I have been using OA for a long period and somewhere along the line something probably got corrupted on my system. However, after Fabian suggested that I log in as an administrator, (despite the fact that the profile I was already using had admin rights), I was able to get the uninstall executable working.

I have never had a problem uninstalling OA in the past and am confident it was an anomaly.

18. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just exclude Sandboxie from OA. I do that and have no issues at all, and more importantly everything still works as it should.

19. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Thanks Blues7 :thumb:
    -cheers,
    feandur

20. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

When I installed OA this is the first thing I did, exclude SBIE and AppGuard. But nevertheless, it still froze...

21. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

My pleasure. :cool:

22. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

OA 7 free and Sandboxie 4.04 paid are working fine together here. Before uninstalling and installing I booted into my admin account first and did a clean install. Whenever I uninstall or install a security program I always boot into my admin account. Not sure if that is normal as this is my first time running as a user.

Also, a ton of updates have been released this week. Vendors are scrambling to update their programs so they are Windows 8.1 compatible. You're bound to see bugs and conflicts. So unless you like being a guinea pig a wise user would only install one program at a time to pin point any bugs and wait for Windows 8.1 to mature. I see no rush to install Windows 8.1 so I'll wait while others find all the bugs.

23. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I got a notification that new versions of components were downloaded and installed. Do I need to restart my system now? Online armour didn't ask for a system restart. Will the upgraded components work without system restart?

24. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

OA will advise when a system reboot is required. This is generally necessary only when the app has been updated with the newest release (if you are running OA Premium).

The daily updates do not require a restart.

25. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Thanks Blues7:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.