Online Armor v3 released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by subset, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Apparently needs a clarification - these are not two different software products... CPF Plus is merely a support service, see here.

2. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

apparently Comodo's GET IT NOW! link needs a correction, this humbug is just designed to squeeze money out of unaware Matousec visitors. :thumbd:

Cheers

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, you need to contact Matousec for this; plus that's not just Comodo but Online Armor Personal Firewall and PC Tools Firewall as well... Matousec is about money and nothing else.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Folks this thread isn't about Comodo. It was taken off topic by one poster. Enough. Anymore Comodo posts go away.

Pete

5. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

Kees, can one then leave the hips in OA activated? Nice tip !!

6. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I tested the free version 3 unfortunately oa service fails to start after reboot. (on fresh windows xp pro sp2 incl. updates)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  7. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

First, I want to say "thanks" to the Tall Emu team for their good work to date. I've been using Online Armor 2 and love it.

-That said-

I've used OA ver. 3 for two days now and don't feel it's ready for prime time. Installed in Vista (no service pack) and XP Home/SP 2, it drags and boot time is considerably longer than with OA-2 (XP only), ZA 7 (XP & Vista), PC Tools ver. 4 or 5 (XP & Vista), or Comodo ver. 3 (XP & Vista).

I do like the interface and the file scanner (still Kaspersky 6 I think) is a real bonus for a quality second opinion scanner, plus it's nicely configurable, but none of this matters much when it slows me down to this degree.

I hope the bugs get ironed out; I would like to make this one of my preferred apps.

8. Philo

Philo Registered Member

Hi Guys.
    Just installed V3 over the old version a few days ago on a xp32 system.Since then it blocks everything that i try to install and uninstall.The message reads,"Unable to execute the file in the temporary directory.
    Set up aborted.
    Error 5 :no access".
    Have uninstalled the firewall using a piece of software called Your uninstaller pro 2008.It no longer comes up in the control panel. But no matter what i do,even trying to install the firewall again gives the same message.o_O
    Please help. :)

9. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

Hi,

I can't find the place to buy OA AV+ v3.

Can anyone help?

10. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Looks like we have a early beta version, better to declare that from the scratch.

11. JCorliss

JCorliss Registered Member

AV version is on hold while they decide whether to hook up with someone else. Kaspersky did not renew their agreement but will support current license holders. http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=5340

12. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello Philo;

Unless specifically instructed, I would never install an applicati9on directly over an earlier version of the same application.

Did version 3 ever work properly for you ? If so, did you download/install anything after you installed OA 3 ? I'm wondering about a conflict with another application.

Don't know about "Your Uninstaller Pro 2008"; never used it; never heard of it.

Have you contacted Tall Emu regarding your problem ? I'm told they are very responsive to support inquiries.

Have you performed a search for left-over files and folders ? Junk is ALWAYS left over from a simple uninstall and these fragments can cause problems.
    You need to search primarily for "Online Armor" and "OA", and then do the same search through your registry. Manually delete each folder, file, and registry you find. Be sure to do this in the "safe mode"

In the file/folder search, be sure to enable the options to also search hidden files and folders as well as subfolders. After you have finished, reboot normally and run CCleaner (download and install if you don't already have it) and reboot.

Following reboot, security center should tell you that the Windows firewall is enabled. If so, you should be able to re-install OA 3.

Good luck !

13. Philo

Philo Registered Member

Thanks mate will give it a try.;)

14. Eh_Greg

Eh_Greg Registered Member

Systemjunkie, You can just manually start the services immediately after install, and then it should be automatic every time afterwards. I'm not sure why this happens. I thought it might be related to another service being disabled but I did install once without having to touch these manually.

15. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Philo,

I guess your computer might still have leftovers from old installations of OA.

Have you tried to do a Search from Windows to see if you still have a folder in the Programs Files that says “Tall Emu” ? Also check if you have leftovers in your Windows registry ( Start--->Run--->Regedit---> when there, check under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_USERS) and if you happen to see a folder there named TALL EMU or OnlineArmor, just right click on it and choose Delete.

Then, right click on My Computer (I'm using Win XP Pro SP-3 for that matter) and select Manage, from the drop down menu, when there, select Device Manager and on the View tab, select SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES and right click on a device named OA something (sorry I don't recall the rest of that word but I do know it starts with OA) and select Uninstall. Reboot your PC when prompted to do so.

Then , use CCleaner and perform a computer clean up and select the Registry tab on CCleaner and perform a registry repair.

Lastly, go to the Tall Emu web site and download a fresh copy of OnlineArmor and install it, using the default settings.

Hope this helps,

Carlos

16. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

It fully supports Vista? And it's free?

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Normally Windows Secrets does a good job of presenting various issues, but this article about Vista x64 is just anecdotal information from a small number of users who had problems - not very useful IMHO.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It was not a good idea at all. Always go for a fresh install in these cases.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am very pleased with this version. Smooth and running well with GW n TF.

I have a Q. In V2 there was an option to check an executable on the basis of hash only or on the basis of hash n application path. I don,t find this option any more.

I like to have just hash check only and ignore the path, it decreases the no of popups.

Thanks

20. subset

subset Registered Member

With OA v3 Program Guard and Firewall are set to check by hash and path automatically and the settings were removed. :cautious:

Cheers

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wish they could keep this option. May be they add it later at some stage.

22. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

There were some debates about it in beta. The main reason of hash+path control is when you have (for example) two different apache.exe in the two different directories with the two different configs and want to have different firewall rules for them.

The only reason to have only hash control is to keep it simpler.

Since the duplicates (the programs with the same hash in different directories) are quite random thing it was decided that removing this option adds more to usability than subtracts :)

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, but they clould have kept it optional.

24. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

It caused some confusion to the not-tech people, unfortunately. I mean option itself. People asked "what I need it for", "what does it do", "should I need to turn it on or off". And since nobody grounded the need for this option during debates, it was removed.

25. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

The OA AV + version is currently in limbo. Their contract with Kaspersky is running out shortly and is not being renewed. If you go to the Online Armor Forum their is a full explanation posted. I hope they find an alternative...:blink: :rolleyes: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.