Online Armor v2.1.0.85 final version released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by twl845, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Thanks Escalader. I am basicly only interrested of the firewall and so far I like it, it seems to have some sort of intelligence, if it is appropriate to call it that :) and that is what I am looking for. As opposed to Stem I am tired of having control :) I would love if the firewall is intelligent enough to make it´s own decisions without bothering me. I´ve been down that road where I had to make all the decisions and it wore me out.
    Thats why I´ve moved on to limited user account.

I have only used OA for a couple of days and so far it has behaved really well and doesnt bother me at all (though I have hard time letting go of my paranoia: on weak moments I think that it doesnt bother me enough :D ) but if OA shows to be fairly safe, as it seems to be, I will buy it just to encourage further development.

2. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I use the free version but consider to buy it.

One small issue: the Firewall Status window sometimes refuse to close. Have other experienced the same? If so has it been fixed in this new version?

It could be only in my setup which is XP Home SP2, Avira free, EQS, Sandboxie and OA free.

3. subset

subset Registered Member

To show my respect I purchased a 2 year licence.
    (Er... which was actually really cheap, if you got this special offer email...:D)

However, it did a lot of tests with OA 2.1.0.85 trail and free before I deceided time is ripe for purchasing.
    I watched the progress of development with interest since version 2.1.0.19.

My recommendation for all who have troubles with OA:
    Please try OA with a fresh windows installation or uninstall at least all other security software, to see how it works as an "standalone" security app.
    I did so and was impressed how light and stable OA was running.

Now, related to my setup, bringing together OA paid and KIS 7 was none too easy.
    I had to restore a few images to get a light, stable and low-friction configuration.
    A very unsuccessful attempt was to install OA first.
    The KIS installer was hanging for quite a while and on every boot it took a long time till OA and KIS appeared in tray. False step. :thumbd:

KIS first, OA later is much better. ;)
    The next question was KIS with Web AV and Mail AV or OA with Web Shield and Mail Shield or all together or what?
    Well all together didn't work very well, sometimes I lost my network connection... :cautious:

To cut a long story short, I finally found a proper configuration:
    KIS 7 (Scanner, File-, Web- and Mail-AV)
    OA (without Web- and Mail-Shield)
    As said before a light, stable and low-friction configuration.
    Both, KIS and OA, ended up pretty castrated :argh:

Cheers

4. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

OA ran great for me also till the other day. PC was locking up. I sat at my desktop for awhile and was hung there. OA always runs great for me with any build then weeks later starts acting up. The only other security app I use in real time is NOD32. I emailed Mike and told him of my finds and he said he is working on things. Lonewolf was getting similar problems as me. Wordward was getting Explorer.exe errors.

5. cet

cet Registered Member

After reading the posts I am in the mood of ''don't fix if it is not broken''.I have been happily using build 31 with a 2 yrs subscription.I will wait some time to try out build 85.The only problem I have is that Opera may be a bit slow,but I can bear that.

6. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

The only reason I'm using Comodo at present is the O.A. explorer errors, which is a problem with my system
    I can't be bothered to do a clean windows install yet, but when I do, or if this problem is solved in the interim, I'll go with O.A.

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello sukarof:

Yes I understand your feeling on nagging FW SW!

FWIW ( not much:D ) I'm more like Stem, I want to know what is going on and work with the FW/HIPS and any security tool to manage my own PC.

But in the case of OA (and maybe other FW's) it provides a quiet mode called standard where it does much decision making for users. Perhaps for 90% of the users out there that is fine. You can also let it automatically trust it's white listed programs for you. Some tools demand answers from users that they are ill equipped to make so an automatic tool like OA for them is safer! I don't say this is you but you see the point.

Anyway good luck. There is a Hints thread here I have for helping out and posting OA questions if you want to visit it.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=189414

8. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Yep, all of them got reset after installing this. I noticed straight away as the spooler was asking for permission constantly.

Again, not very nice.

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi cet:

FWIW the latest release on OA is build 95 not 85.

But that said, I would suggest you upgrade since the security gains from 31 to 95 are quite significant. The OA forum has a long list of all the changes.

For example users can now untrust their LAN and that alone would cause me to make the move.

Here is the link:

http://support.tallemu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1476

You paid for it and why not get the improvements?

10. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

honest answer please: purely in terms of ease of use how does OA Free stack up against ZA? What about OA Paid?
    I asked the same question about CFP and you might note my other thread.
    I am keen to change to one or the other but it is family pc but don't want to risk "tests" and have been in the comfort zone of ZA ease of use for too long!
    Thanks

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I used ZA for quite a few years including ZASS also, then went to CFPv2 for a few years until I upgraded to v3, and between the early bugs and the complexity for a non techie like myself, I was almost forced to find another user friendly FW. I was turned on to OA and tried the trial version for what was to be 30 days but after 3 weeks bought it. OA is the most user friendly FW you'll ever find, and compared to ZA(if I can remember that far back) the GUI is better configured and it's just as affective, if not more. The comparison of support isn't even up for discussion because OA support is so good and ZA is...well so so. Doing an upgrade in OA is a non event, because as you boot up one morning you get a dialog box that says, you've just been upgraded to the next version please reboot. You tell me about upgrading with ZA.;)

12. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

that sounds reassuring. Yep I am stuck with an older version of ZAPro and newer ones trashed my system.
    Also agree that support [even here ie at the the "home" forum] is impressive.

The list of things OA Paid does that the freebie doesn't is....well....long so I suppose I should try the free version before parting with cash but a concern then is that I lose some of the stuff that OA Paid and ZAPro both do but OA free doesn't in the interim [eg email security]

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Wigwam - Rather than try the free OA, I think the smart thing would be to install the Trial OA for 30 days. In that time period you will determine whether you like it or not, because the trial has all the features, and will be able to frequent the OA forum where you can get answers to any concerns you may have. Be sure to do a clean uninstall of ZA and delete every trace according to the uninstall directions at the ZA forum. If anything is left behind it might bite you when you're trying to install your new FW.

14. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

15. Joan Archer

Joan Archer Registered Member

I'm one that used Zone Alarm Pro for years but thought that with each new update it became more and more bloated, so after reading some of the posts around Wilders thought I'd give Online Armor a go.
    I liked it so bought a copy at the beginning of this month and I'm very pleased, it gives me much more information so that now I know what I'm blocking or allowing :cool:

All in all a very happy camper :thumb:

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That's a little different than how It went when I uninstalled, but it's similar. At one point I had to click on start>programs>zonelabs, then right click uninstall, then select properties. Under target you would see "c:\program files\zone labs\zonealarm\zauninst.exe" and change it to: c:\program files\zone labs\zonealarm\zauninst.exe /clean. Click OK to save new command. Click OK to run the uninstaller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.