Online Armor v2.1.0.85 final version released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by twl845, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Firstly, thanks to those taking an interest in/wanting to help with this.

Mike, the other applications running are avast home, SpywareTerminator, Comodo Memory firewall, and the Secunia PSI software inspector. All are up to date/latest version.
    The firewall I was using was CFP 3.0.18.309. (I got a little annoyed with it when it updated via its' own updater, failed to save any settings, then prevented- without any prompts- Limewire and Firefox from connecting to the www)

No Threatfire/other HIPS etc installed. I do use the MVPS hosts file.

These applications work well with each other, without conflict. Even when Comodo's HIPS (defense+) was active - despite my selecting it off at initial installation.
    I've installed other security software at times, too, and not had a compatibility issue.
    I have AVG AS, SAS, A2, Spybot, and Cureit as demand (second opinion) scanners. None have found anything, recently.

I have seen new software do a bit of an "I've just installed" dance before, (expressive term) but nothing like this, especially after two reboots,and it does make me wonder about the possibility of a driver leftover somewhere, as Diver suggested.

2. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I'd rip off memory firewall and see how you go. I havent played with that application myself - the others I am more familiar with - so, if we can let's rule out some suspects.

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

OK. I'll give it a whirl. Post back in >10min, all going well.

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Well, it didn't all go well at all, I'm afraid.
    Startup was a lot faster, but included an exception error for Secunia PSI complete with the generous offer to send the error report to M$, (this is a release candidate, but has run flawlessly so far), no internet connection at all, and a random opening of a .pdf file, uncommanded. (And apparently, unrelated.'Twas just sitting on the desktop, mouse nowhere near.)
    OA was let run without modification; no settings changed. Went though the full install procedure, letting the wizard scan for files, then approving them, didn't cancel or sortcut anything there.Disabled then exited SpywareTerminator; no difference. Exited Secunia PSI, ditto.
    I had double checked prior to installation that the windows firewall was indeed off.
    Restarted, no change. Let to lie for a few minutes, no change. CPU usage around 95% the whole time. Any program selected was very slow to open.
    Using XP home, SP2, fully patched, 2G RAM, AMD 3500+ processor.

All I can think now is that the install file is corrupted (the md5 is BB71F36233B5E4EA187F4BE0AB3398CD, according to two analyzers I use), or that there is a conflict somewhere, or a leftover driver. I have a few windows services disabled, if that's any clue. I'm happy to provide info about the computer configuration etc, if you want further info, but don't go to any more trouble on my account. CFP 2.4 is working well, and I'm happy with it. Just would have liked to try OA, with all the good feedback here.

One small detail, probably unrelated: during installation of OA there is an option to enter the users' email address in order to receive updates. This I did, but then (of course) it wouldn't send, because I'd disconnected from the net (as one does, during a period of "no firewall".)
    It would perhaps be a preferable option to have this registration offer occur after the firewall is up and running. (Or, if the firewall is actually working at this time, let the user know that is the case, and that it is safe to reconnect.)

5. subset

subset Registered Member

MD5 is correct for OA Free, maybe it helps to put OA in "Learning mode" and restart in this mode.
    If this does't make things run better, there is a strange conflict or incompatibility.
    Please beware "Learning mode" is only advisable for a clean systems.

Cheers

6. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Enter users email? I have never gotten that message when installing Online Armor. Where did you download Online Armor from?

7. Timo Schmidt

Timo Schmidt Registered Member

still no reports about WOW-compatibility (stuttering etc)?

8. Dieselman

WOW working fine on my end. Latency has been fixed. All my pings on COD4 are around 20-30.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I believe you are using the full version. The free version does ask.

Pete

10. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

Sorry I do not understand, Mike o_O Add what?

The problem is that sandboxie won't initialize with TF and OA hips.

TF and OA hips work good together. But in my combo (post #35) I prefer Sandboxie above TF because I have to choose apparently.

11. Dieselman

Yoda...................TF and OA do not get along. Ask Lonewolf. No need to 2 HIPS.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Just FYI, Sandboxie just released a v3.23.04 which might be of help to you. I was waiting 24 seconds for FF to load sandboxed until I installed the new version yesterday. Now load time is acceptable.

13. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Deiselman, I downloaded it from the home page, which mirrored to download.com.

14. Livio

Livio Registered Member

Hi

Is the "Cookie Cutter " option available in the free trial version of OA ? o_O

I cannot see anything about it in the comparison chart of the OA home site
    http://www.tallemu.com/comparisons.html

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

No - this is a part of the webshield.

Mike

16. arran

arran Registered Member

I gave up on OA in the end, it conflicts with admuncher. and also just to let you guys know, I don't know if any one else has tested it or not but the OA web shield does not work if you are using Sandboxie and surfing the net with your browser inside Sandboxie.

I tested it, you know how OA pops up a warning when you go to a site with dangerous scripts etc. well I kept a list of these sites which OA warned me about. I then went back to these sites again but this time using Sandboxie and this time no warnings from OA.

Conclusion OA web shiled does not work with Sandboxie.

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I would not expect alerts from OA in such a setup, if there was, then sandboxie would not be doing its job.

Just a case of sandboxie intercepting before OA.

Do be careful when using various security applications together, the results are not always obvious.(and there can also be underlying problems)

18. Dieselman

I am back to using Comodo. I emailed Mike about high CPU usage. It seems like everytime I use OA it runs great for weeks then starts to slow my pc down and web pages take along time to load even without the web shield.

19. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

More then likely a true observation and a nice added layer of defense. Though you would think it would be the other way around. OA would block before Sandboxie.
    Either way, 2 blankets are better then one when visiting the DarkSide.

20. arran

arran Registered Member

yea thats what I was thinking. OA should be blocking stuff before it goes into the sandbox. I'm using admuncher and out post pro firewall, And I know that they intercept and filter stuff before it goes into the sand box.

Your Sandboxie should only be there as a back up at the end of the chain incase your other security/filtering software fails to prevent malware from coming in. not the other way round.

21. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It would for me depend on what control is given to sanboxie. Attempting to sandbox a sandbox is a little concerning, and a possible lead to problems.

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If you have FD-ISR you can put a different FW on each snapshot and boot to a different one each day. (Just making a joke) :D

23. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Well, that is obviously a very individual point of view. If programmers where to take every persons preference into account when making software, then there wouldnt be any software in the market. If you use multiple security apps that basicly protect against the same stuff, you have to accept that one of them has to fold. That doesnt mean that this and that software is bad or doesnt function as it is supposed to, it´s more like the users layered defence that is exaggerated imo.

I have a couple questions about OA Firewall. I have tried the free version for a couple of days and it seems to work really nice. Everything is very simple and no hassle.
    I guess in the free version there is no way to see, in real time, what ports are blocked by the firewall? There is no logging window?
    I mean if a software for some reason wont connect then I would like to see what ports are blocked and why. Not that it has happened yet, all the software that I allow in OA works just fine, OA seems to set up the rules for that app and I can forget about it which is great.

24. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello:

The free version lacks some of the features of the paid version.

Here is a thought for your consideration.

Get the 30 day trial version and then you could decide if the extra features are worth paying some $'s for. Heck that's what trials are for.

If at the end of the trial you still aren't willing to buy it, you could revert to the free version again and be in the same state you are in now.

To compare the features here is a link:

http://www.tallemu.com/comparisons.html

Hope this helps:thumb:

25. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Personal comment on this release.

Well, I have looked at OA before, but mainly just at the firewall. I did briefly look at the HIPS side of things, but at the time no real comment.

I have been looking at this release, and yes, it has improved in many areas, I am not even going to try and "compare" with other products, mainly because I know the direction OA is taking, to make it "mum" friendly, for anyone to use. I can see this, and respect this product.

From my own point of view with security software, I do like to have full control, and after looking throught the options within OA, I do find I can have this.

So, to Mike/OA. Very nice. My respect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.