Online Armor v2.1.0.85 final version released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by twl845, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks for the answer,but I would like to tell you that I was the one who translated the help files into Turkish.So I can remember the help file even I close my eyes.Lol.

2. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

I'm curious, what is the problem btw Avira and TF? I run both on a computer and don't have any conflict but still curious about what may happen.

Kin

3. subset

subset Registered Member

How can you assume that it doesn't bother me much? :(

I have paid for KAV, therefore I want to see some work and CPU-Time is the manifest evidence that KAV is at work.
    The more CPU-Time the better, I thought so. :D

Cheers

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Everything still running smooth here. Did my first scan and no dangerous programs were found. The simpleness of this software compared to Comodo Pro Firewall 3.0 is making me like this program more and more.

5. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Is ProgramGuard (HIPS) also available in the Free version?

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There are some limitations. Have a look at the comparison chart:- http://www.tallemu.com/comparisons.html

7. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

But to try it out I think it's best to start with the Free version, right?

8. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

The problem is that Sandboxie does not initialize with TF in this combo (post #35)

But does one need TF with OA hips :doubt:

9. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I'll prefer it if you start with free. try it - and if you think it's good and worthy of support or extra features - go for paid. If not - nobody lost anything but bandwidth and time. I don't want your money if you are not satisified with the product and the service.

10. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

TF has some interesting concepts. For me - I run with whatever version of OA I happen to be testing (today is Italian OAFREE) - and it's enough.

If it's not enough for you - submit a feature request and we will consider to add it

11. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

sorry for the nooby question but is this the paid version getting such praise in this thread or the free version?
    Could you please link me to the difference between them [ie what limitations free has vs paid].

I was considering CFP but the complexity is putting me off coming from a simple ZA background and all...

12. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I am using the free vers. and love it. Will be upgrading. :thumb:

Comparison chart

13. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Online Armor free is great and was voted #1 by Matousec. Online Armor paid is that much better. Look at the comparisons for yourself and decide. ThunderZ gave you a link. Try the free version and if it works for you then thats fine. if you want more then get the paid. I used ZAAS and its great and very user friendly. If you went to Comodo you will be overwhelmed with all the options and tabs and other various things you need to do. Comodo is a huge leap from ZA where as Online Armor is more of a step aside in the right direction.

14. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

Been away a few days but as soon as I went online it auto updated and required a restart to install then the usual installation process with minimal interaction required, so pleased I bought a 2 year licence a couple of weeks or so ago.

One question though, I have set Firefox and Outlook to run safe using the advanced options but when I right click Internet Explorer 7 the advanced options is greyed out, how can I make run safer?

15. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I just checked mine for you and run safer is on for IE 7.

So maybe you should check with OA support forum.

16. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

Cheers, I will.:thumb:

17. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

Thanks
    I saw the comparison charts. All this HIPS stuff - does the free version provide this too or is it only for the paid version?

In and off itself is the free version a secure, configurable [in so far as local network, connection to xbox etc] FW on a par with [say] ZAPro or is it more on a par with ZA free [function-wise] as I note it doesn't track mail etc

Also if I install the free one, like it but want to upgrade will I have to uninstall and install the paid product or will it "up-convert" the FW?

18. Dieselman

19. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Liked what I read in the statements in this (and other threads here) about OA, wanted to try something a bit easier to use than Comodo 3, so I tried it.
    Unfortunately, the bootup time (from logon) increased from 30s to about 4 min, and OA used 99%cpu during that period, falling to about 85-95 afterward. Tried disabling the included HIPS component, made it even worse.
    This was an install of the free version, "out of the box", previous firewall completely uninstalled, all the usual restarts on prompt.
    I'd quite like to try it and get it working well, but not if I have to go through that again.
    To it's credit, it uninstalled very cleanly (unlike the Comodo offering, that needs manual cleaning afterward) leaving only one reg reference.
    Gone back to CFP 2.4, now, all back to normal. Shan't be using CFP 3 again.

20. Diver

Diver Registered Member

@Tarq57

There is a good chance you have a leftover firewall or AV driver on your system that is messing things up.

21. Dieselman

Tarq57. What version are using? If you rebooted after the first boot then you would have been fine.

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I agree. OA has to be the most painless installation there is, and there is a short boot up time.

23. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I say if anyone simply gives Online Armor Personal a try, I believe they will like it better than the free version and more than ZA. Although ZA Pro is a good firewall and has some very nice features. There is just something about the design and feature set of Online Armor Personal that separates itself from the competition. Try and it and see what I'm talking about.

24. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Deiselman, downloaded and installed version 2.1.0.85, free. Did reboot, actually, when prompted, and again an extra time after the problem manifested. That extra reboot took forever. Quite surprised, I was.

Diver, I wouldn't be surprised about that, which is why I did file and registry searches for anything named "comodo" or "cfp" between uninstalling Comodo,and installing OA.
    Of course the driver may not have that name with it....
    How would I know what to look for? (Too late for zsoft or similar, I'm afraid. Unless it can find leftover drivers.??)

25. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hmmm... what other security do you have installed? OA and Threatfire seem to fight like cats at the moment - it is somewhat unusual to get that CPU utilisation after the first reboot (which can take a while as OA does it's little "i've just installed" dance)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.