Online Armor Help File Discussion - Split from OA Learning thread

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Escalader, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Lundholm:

Just which FW do you use? Tell the thread if you dare!:D

Then I can study it's Help file! Sorry couldn't resist this one:rolleyes:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Escalader

Got a chuckle. Never will happen as help files don't make vendors money, working features do, and I know you realize that.

For new readers in the forum, I'd point out, that nothing in the help file will ever tell you how a piece of software will run on your hardware, only a trial wlll.

Cheers

Pete

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Escalader,

There is also an even more updated version of the help file sitting on my PC. In our beta forum (being worked on by Adam) is series of howto videos that are also being prepared.

Soon, we should also have our (newly updated) help files online, with ways for users to give feedback on how to improve it. Translators are going to convert the help into different languages.

The help files had been neglected with OA2s release, and we're improving it as fast as we can.

I think it was Stem who pointed it out - to write a good help file is hard. There are still holes in our help file, but once we have it online, as thousands more users install OA and give us useful feedback we'll keep improving it further.

Newly updated helpfile is not bad. Next versions will be even better.

Mike

4. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Never say never :)

Help files are interesting. Few people read them ever, but they have to be good. For us, it's interesting to have Adam come on board because he is learning OA by using the (updated) help file, and playing with the product (plus reading here and at our forums).

The result should hopefully be a help file that helps those intermediate users that know what they want to do but not how it should be done.... its REALLY hard for me to write meaningful help because for me, OA is just so logical... at least to me.

Mike

5. Lundholm

Lundholm Registered Member

Hi Escalader,
    You are jumping to conclusions here. I was referring to the X file!
    Talking about the help file, I believe that this feature is actually mentioned in the first version (or somewhere else). I might take a look at it, when it goes online (maybe the name is changing to Offline Armor):cool:

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I read the help-files! Firewalls are a very complex thing, and it saves me the embarrassment of posting the really stupid questions. :oops:
    Now THAT"S a keeper-feature, now I just need an advanced rule-maker to come over and do that for me. :rolleyes: I'm suffering a case of beta-overload right now but once all go "final", I'll be looking forward to re-installing OA. Keep up the great work "Mike". lol

7. Lundholm

Hi Escalader,

You don't want to turn any of your threads into a battleground for one firewall against another. It might even be against forum policies.;)

Anyway, I know that you have examined several other firewalls, some of them quite excellent, so you have plenty of good user guides and help files to read.

This project has already changed you from a reckless installer to a careful reader of documentation. I wonder how it will end. :cool:

8. Lundholm

Hi Monty,

You actually started the discussion about the help file - I only supported you.
    Good to see you out again, now that the smoke has settled, and everybody seems to be happy:D

9. 19monty64

Oh, so I'm the sacrificial lamb, eho_O That's too ba-a-a-ad!!!
    But seriously, have you read the latest help-fileo_O Personally, I'm waiting for the paperback-edition. :D
    I hear they're getting it translated into other languages, so even you'll be able to understand it!!! lol

10. Lundholm

Seriously, I'm not going to read it until it goes online. You don't expect me to install the thing just to read the help file?

Actually, I requested a German version at the OA forum! It didn't help much.:cautious:

11. 19monty64

I'm not about to post the link for the help-file!!! Look what happened the last time I did!!! Ba-a-a-ad scene fer sure!!!

12. Peter2150

Frankly, I don't think a simple answer to the question would seriously break any forum policy. You don't have to discuss it, or give your reasons. Just the name. I doubt that will turn the thread into a battle ground. That way a user can go check that firewalls help system, and see for themselves.

Pete

13. Escalader

Hi Lund!

No battles! Just a simple question! there goes that d%%$$#m escalader again with his &&^^^% questions! You could take the 5th!

You are right I have installed and tested and examined a few FW's for the learning threads. That is no secret! You are also right that I can read their help files.

As to being a reckless installer I plead innocent of the charge:D

I can image my way back in 10 minutes and any of the trialled FW's HIPS are gone!

Reason? The devil made me do it! (joke) Moral never volunteer for anything!

As I'm behind a H/W FW and the router with Nod 32 I'm not that reckless!

How it will end? No clue. depends on OA 3 I think.

14. Escalader

Hi Pete:

Yes, sort of like the car manual you get in the glove compartment. Only looked at it when I can't load a DVD!

But would I buy a car without the drivers manual? Yes, probably I would then when I hit the dvd issue I'd complain to the dealer where is the %^%^&& manual!:D

15. Escalader

Yes right again! I assumed X=help file!:D :oops: :shifty:

I could say the help file isn't needed by users, isn't used by any since they would rather post a question, I could also say they are lazy users would probably run red lights and say later they didn't know what red meant.:D

16. Escalader

Good, I've said all I'm going to say about help files, I think every one knows where I stand on them. I want them and good ones.

Stem did say they are hard to write and that is true. Maybe we could trial the Help file! Ha ha bad joke. If they are good it will reduce the cost of support.

17. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Help been online for ages, as we discussed before: http://dl1.online-armor.com/downloads/oa_ena.chm

18. Lundholm

This is the old help file, as I have pointed out before, aka the X file.

What the world needs now is the NEW help file. You may consider uploading this, if it does exist, and maybe even place a download link on you web site.

I suggest that someone from Tallemu takes a look at one other web site to check how it should be done. You boys have a looong way to go.

19. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

No, that is the new helpfile. The old helpfile did not have as much content in there at all, and nothing at all on the advanced features, and the firewall. The New helpfile was uploaded a couple of weeks ago, and as people have suggested things they would like to see, I have incorporated them.

You keep posting about our help file. I'm going to keep reminding you - we're working on it. Adam is making nice flash video demos, and I am writing the text. About 4 or 5 of our beta testers have volunteered to review it.

Anybody on the beta team could point out the video content that is being generated and put up there for comment.

I'll upload it when I am happy with it. For now, you will have to wait.

20. Lundholm

Don't worry about me, I don't need the help file.

Escalader and monty and the other users need it.

Cheers

21. Peter2150

So your not going to install until the help file meets your standard, but you don't need it. Hmmm.

22. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

23. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Kudos. Your philanthropy is incredible. I'd say unbelievable :)

24. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Once that is completed those that wish to have a further discussion can do so then. Until that time we'll bring this thread to a close and await the final release.

Good luck with the Help file,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.