Online Armor General Discussion

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

The HIPS will never be moved to EAM or EIS. It is redundant. Exploit protection will destroy compatibility to other products. We may add it in a future version, but only after a grace period so our users are prepared that they won't be able to use EAM alongside other products any longer, because the exploit protections are going to conflict.

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I know people would like all-in-one software but for now I recommend MBAE or HitmanPro.Alert to battle exploits.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

If anyone finds a good network viewer that shows the country flag for the remote address then let me know. I can't find a replacement for OA network view yet. I found 2 that fit the criteria, but i'm not going to go with either one. Glasswire would be good, but it is a little heavy. It has other features that I don't need. The other one I found has not been developed since 2011 so i'm going to stay away from it.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

What!
    I still use OA and just renewed my 3 PC license for it like half a year ago.
    This is no bueno. :'(
    I loved OA. The last true HIPS that was still being updated/developed.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Actually Emsisoft has not done anything with OA in about 2 years. Comodo Firewall HIPS is still being developed, but I have not been a big fan of Comodo in the past. It was always too buggy to use on my system in the past. It could not remember rules, and would prompt me to death. I'm not sure how good their current product is since I have not used it in 3, or 4 years. I have been using OA since 2003 to 2 days ago. I retired OA after finding out Emsisoft is going to discontinue OA. PrivateFirewall also uses HIPS, and it may be a good alternative, but it's HIPS is not as strong as OA. Comodo is the only other HIPS as strong as OA, but it's useability has not been as good as OA from my experience in the past. Maybe things have changed so it could be worth trying again.

6. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Obviously you know more about my product than I do. :) On my balance I can see more than 20,000 development hours on the Online Armor account since we have acquired it. Just to name a few things we've developed: Completely new GUI, File- and Registry-Monitoring, an effective online backend (Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network) to heavily decrease the number of alerts, Windows 8 support, etc.

Btw. Online Armor is not yet dead. We're still supporting it for another year.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Maybe not in a major version but it was still like in "maintenance" mode . . . now it is going to be officially discontinued.

8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I use Comodo firewall and HIPS, and I have no problems. The sandbox seems to have bugs and to be not always trusty, but I don't use it. Sure, Defense+ at the beginning is boring with continuous pop ups, till you don't set the rules for the commonly used applications, but it's not what we want by an HIPS ? ;)

9. Cutting_Edgetech

I stand by my post. I just stated the obvious. The last program update for OA was in October of 2013. I should have specified exactly what I was referring to instead of being vague. That was bad wording on my part. Also, I have given Emsisoft credit for the additions you just listed in previous post, and even defended Emsisoft in the past by citing the exact features you just listed. The fact is though none of those features were added in the past 2 years. That's why I said for about 2 years. I could not remember the exact date of the last application update at the time I made the post. I know Online Armor is not dead yet. If you are referring to my sig then Online Armor (2003-2015) is how long I used OA. I retired OA after I found out Emsisoft was discontinuing it so I could participate in development of a replacement product. I will change my sig for clarity sake. I can see how that can cause confusion.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  10. Cutting_Edgetech

Actually I like a HIPS with good white listing. That's why I liked OA so much. I rarely ever had to respond to any prompts. I don't think the user should be bothered with unnecessary prompt for harmless actions. Emsisoft had really good white listing.

11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

It still has.... ;)

12. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, it still does.

13. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I've also become spoiled by the flag feature. If you use Firefox they have add-ons that may be a decent substitute. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flagfox/?src=search

There are more if you search for flag or country. I haven't tried one yet but I'll probably use one in the future.

14. Cutting_Edgetech

I have been using flag fox for several years. It's not the same as a tcp, udp viewer though. I found a replacement for OA network view. I'm on my iPhone now. I will post the link for it when I'm back on my desktop.

15. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

You can try Essential NetTools if it's not what you found already.

16. blacknight

The stuff of HIPS is to allow a very granular configuration of all activities of the system: " block of default and allow for except ". It's the way for the best security. The aim is not the only block the attacks, but set all in the highest restrictive configuration.

17. Cutting_Edgetech

If something is safe to allow then it only makes sense to me to allow it without bothering the user. If I had to answer many prompts then I would never get my work done. I don't expect my preference to be a one size fits all method, but I would expect the user to be given the option to use white listing. If not the product would not be right for me, and I would need to look for something else. Doesn't Comodo also give the user the option to white list using the cloud? So does Comodo not use any white listing other than by security certificate?

18. blacknight

19. Cutting_Edgetech

The replacement I found for OA network viewer is called cports from nirsoft. The user can download the database to identify the city, and country for the remote IP's from this page http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/geolite/ All the user has to do is place the GeoLite City Binary / gzip file in the installation folder of cports. Cport will do the rest for you. Cports comes with many unneeded column. The user can go to view, and choose columns to uncheck the columns not needed. They also have an application called Network Traffic View that can be used as well. The GeoLite City Binary / gzip file can be used with Network Traffic View as well. http://www.nirsoft.net/network_tools.html

I installed Essential NetTools. I liked it as well. I'm surprised I have never found it before. I'm going to add it to my toolbox. There is one thing I would like to see added to Essential NetTools if there is not an option for it already. The country flags are kind of small, and I don't know all the country flags anyways. I would like to see functionality added for hovering the mouse pointer over the flag to see the country name appear in text.

20. Cutting_Edgetech

21. blacknight

Glad to help you.

22. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

As you mentioned already why not keep using Flagfox which shows a larger flag and the country it belongs to
    in text?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.