Online Armor Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MikeNash, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Transparent blocking is a feature in the webshield of OA2. In OA1, you got a popup for everything which many (ok, I!) found annoying. In most cases, the items that were "popped up" were rubbish like ads and nasties.

In OA2 - transparent blocking basically means "block the dodgy stuff, and don't prompt for it". If you go to a site, and you have missing content that you actually desire, you can then make that site trusted.

2. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

The Free version of OA does not support updates of any kind, so when the "final" free version is uploaded it will be a reinstall I'm afraid.

I take it this means to simply download and reinstall final release over current version then?

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Exactly.

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

thanks once again sir. i must say if your presence here at all hours of the day is any indication of the kind of dedication you also give your product, then i beleive OA is everything i hear it is. take care and good night.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Hey Mike - you ever consider beefing up the keylog detection in the free version and completely removing the autostart protection / firewall?
    I think this would allow a lot of people (like me) who do not usually use your software to make good use of it for free.

I think you should enable updates in the free version so that any exploits in things that are supposed to be covered can be handled if they ever arise, and also you should have the free version's updater able to display a list of all the updates released to the payed version so people using the free version can decide if they want to make a purchase.

Example: Enable automatic updates in the free version and even if the free version is not updated when they pay version is users of the free version could opt to view changelog updates and be notified of them.

A lot of people like OA, but do not purchase it yet because they are waiting for certain features. In my opinion OA is fantastic, but a lot of the development is put into features I do not use and not enough development is put into features I care about most (although some things like the leaktests are fantastic).

I use FireFox so the ActiveX warnings are useless to me, although they are a great feature for people using IE.

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Sure, we considered long and hard which facilities to include and which ones to exclude in the free version. In the end, we decided that most features would be included and came up with the current set.

That's not a bad idea - it is definitely something I will consider for the future.

Which features do you care most about? Post em over at the forums at Tall Emu.... if enough people want them (or they're just so cool they MUST be done) then we get 'em done.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I hope that you keep the firewall included.
    It's an excellent component!

8. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

There will be no changes to what's included in OAFree at the moment - the decision has been made. The task for us at the moment is to finish off the release, then start working on the next todo items.

9. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

Hey Mike, do you ever sleep?! :D

10. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I've been known to have the occasional nap :) Actually, I'm sick as a dog and working from home today... might shoot some Z's soon.

Seriously though - I'm in Sydney Australia. Not only is it just after lunchtime here, but it's a beautiful spring day (I've lived here 15 years and still can't get over summer being at Christmas!!!)

Mike

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Welcome to the South Hemisphere :D :D :thumb:
    It's so crazy to eat Christmas meals (high calorie food) with 35º C/95º F :D LOL *puppy*

12. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

My computer had trouble loading up on restart. I had some serious system slow down. I previously had ZA Pro on my computer. I have Antivir Personal Premium, Sandboxie and Threatfire still on it. My icons and system tray items were missing.

13. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Ugggh :(

Did you give it a couple of reboots to make sure any legacy drivers were properly removed?

I know that we work nicely with Antivir and sandboxie 'cos a lot of our users use those apps... threatfire I am not so sure of - will download and have a play with it.

14. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I will try it again later and see if it works. I hope Online Armor doesn't have any conflicts with ThreatFire. So OA free has the same leaktest protection as the paid version and should be as good as Comodo? What kind of mail protection will OA free have when it comes out?

15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

The free version of OA has the same leaktest protection as the paid version, and are both BETTER than Comodo (we fixed the test we fail) especially on "out of the box" (default configuration). There are also a couple of more leaky methods we cover that Comodo don't.

OA Free will not have any mail protection when it's formally released. The full comparison is available at our site (I updated it yesterday evening).

If you do have probs with OA Free and threatfire let me know, please and we will resolve them as quickly as we can.

Mike

16. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

If I install the final release over the current prerelease, is it supposed to retain the configuration/settings/etc?

17. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

There are no guarantees, but it should be ok.

18. thorough

thorough Registered Member

Hi Mike thanks for the feedback I will come over to the forums.

I use Avira Antivir Premium. I get the IE error when I click to close IE not during normal use.

I will try your work around, see you at the forums.

Wishing you a quick recovery and lots of attention & success with your projects.:thumb:

19. korb

korb Registered Member

tried out OA free. when i try to use keyboard shortcut- ctrl 'c' 'v' to copy or paste it will slow down my pc and will not work.the web protection function did slow down opening of webpage untill the page stop process.uninstall it and everything back to normal

avast+threatfire+geswall+OA= ok , no conflict but TF will pop up ask abt OA for first few run.

20. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I don't get these results here (about the CTRLV/C ) - web protection should not even be in OA Free at all :doubt:

I think since a couple of people running TF have strange results, we'd better check it

21. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Sounds like you want a even better deal... :)

Speaking as an "advanced user", I consider the improved keylogger detection in OA paid as one of the more valuable features, if I were OA I *wouldn't* give that away. Ditto for DNS Spoofing Protection.

autostart protection is not as important, because it can be easily substituted by many free products.

On the flip side I find "Web Shield , Mail shield and Phishing filter" much less useful. But of course different users might have different considerations ,take my comments as you will.

PS I see the updated comparison shows that OA free has anti-termination protection? Cool, I must have missed it when i was playing with it... I could have swore it was turned off.

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

One more Q: the worm/script protection, specifically script, does it work like Script Sentry/ Script Defender or is it more like DiamondCS Wormguard?

Thanks in advance

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Is problem already known a lot of time ago and still doesn't have a solution!

I buyed Ad Muncher for something and will not disable it because of some program that doesn't work correctly...

24. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

the product sound interesting I wish it were vista compliant...

25. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I used to have OA but there was a conflict with Kerio FW. Despite Mike trying they never did get it working. Wonder if thats been fixed now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.