Online Armor Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MikeNash, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

What do you exactly mean by this?

Gerard

2. daddymo3

daddymo3 Registered Member

I am unfamiliar with Online Armor....Will the free version be a good replacement for Comodo FW and Threatfire? Will it run lighter than the two of them combined?

3. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi daddymo3,
    OA FW Runs better on my Pc than Comodo, Plus the support is far superior.Just try it, you won't be disappointed.
    Badcompany.

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Very Interesting. :ninja: After Final Release I may give it a try on PC2. :cool:

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Mike,

Hope you had a few comfort beers when Australia was beaten by England in the rugby world cup (sorry for saying, but I am glad, because my Aussie brother in law comes over at Christmas, now he won't eleaborate over aussies being the best when we are playing the old against young rugby match at new years day). New years eve is in the Netherlands called old & new that is why oldies (+35) play against the youngsters (and new members under35).

I tested the free version against regtest and the oaui.exe dumped. I am running DefenseWall, A2 Malware (with IDS only no on-demand run execution). I had the OA free program control without notification when an unknown program starts.

Regards Kees

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Kees,

I didn't even watch the Rugby. I'm actually English (lived here for 15 years) so no need to cry :) It's probably likely that I had a beer though... it's been a busy week...

Thanks - will sort that out before release :)

7. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Nothing except what MikeNash has himself said in the past, offer too much functionality in the free version and it will eat into the sales of their own paid products.

8. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Well, let's see if we have gotten it right :)

I know what you mean about maybe too generous - the free Online Armor does a lot - but I am confident we have made the right decision.

9. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Big match today, Mike. Don't miss it. I hope for England's sake that Wilkinson's on song. They depend so much on him. Thank's again for the great product.

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive wanted to try OA for quite a while.It wouldn't work very good for me when i used 98se.Now i have 2000 pro i thought id give it another try.Unfortunately i just cannot get it to run correctly on my system.It seemed to install ok and went through the motions.I trusted and ticked certain program's that i have at startup etc.Then it told me to reboot.All went well until a program i have called routerstats ( http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm) wanted to load (id already given this permission to load from the initial setup wizard).The firewall popped up and i allowed it again ,but i knew something was up because routerstats icon refused to show in system tray although it was running in the background as task manager showed.I then tried to end the routerstats process.Even Diamond css APT prog could not stop or kill the routerstats process ,which is something ive never seen before.I then tried to shut down my computer using windows shutdown.That failed and i had to hold the off button in on my computer.When i restarted the computer ,i had another error that ive not seen before.It said windows could not load my profile ,or even the administrator profile ,and it booted into a blank w2000 blue screen with nothing else loaded.I used rollbackrx to boot to the pre OA snapshot and alls ok again.Im using w2000p ro sp4.The only security app i have installed is Esets RC1 AV.I uninstalled sygate firewall pro rebooted and thoroughly cleaned using regcleaners before Installing OA.
    any ideas what would cause such problems?.
    tia
    ellison

11. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Best way for you to go to the OA Forum and ask there.

Gerard

12. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Don't forget everybody there are french dudes around... And I am one of them!

BTW, Outlook became slow at downloading mail since I replaced Jetico 1 by OA free...

13. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Is Outlook marked as Trusted?

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: After testing OA free just for a day or so, I can not help but entertaining the idea that an optimal security combination could likely be this:
    (OA +av paid version) + (virtualization app) + (behavior blocker). What do you think ? Take care.

15. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I think a good anti virus and properly configured sandbox is sufficient but if i had to make a 3d choice it definetly be oa2 paid version without the kav engine.

16. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Probably should ,however its another forum i would have to register with.I was hoping there may be a few OA experts here that may have experience or initial thoughts of what the problem may be.
    ellison

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Quick off the cuff shot. Look in the history tab and see if something there is being blocked.

Pete

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have not tried kernel based OA yet. So I may install its trial9 full version) someday to see how it detects kernel based rootkit keyloggers.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  19. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I really like Comodo.Tried OA free on a whim and I like it better.
    Try it and see.

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm using it, and it works very well :)

The shield doesn't detect changes on Windows Startup folder, but the rest work well :)

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Ad Muncher is not working because of OA :(

22. Diver

Diver Registered Member

an 8 to 9 percent level for Vista users at any site is about the average based on Vista's market penetration so far. PC Magazine was showing 10% in September.

Vista compatible versions of stand alone firewalls seem to be emerging slowly, as compared to suites. Its a short list, and I suspect some are on there because they happened to be easy to make compatible. The scarcity is augmented by firewall companies that have been purchased so their technologies can be integrated into suites, or products that have been discontinued.

Its going to be six months to a year before Vista has enough momentum that everyone will support it.

23. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Will the OA/Admuncher conflict ever be fixed o_O

24. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

It's a known problem. As a workaround, use a plug-in/add-on for your browser (IE7 Pro, Adblock Plus, etc)

25. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am not able to see the free version of OA because I am on Vista now. But does this free version allow for importing a blacklist to block ads?

If OA does not allow a blacklist to import, I have noticed that IE7pro can pretty much takes care of most ads. There is another ad blocker that works well with IE called quero toolbar, although not a plug in like IE7pro. It is a better ad blocker than IE7pro IMO; but its ugliness necessitates it remaining "hidden".

http://www.quero.at/

But admuncher leaves both of these in the dust. As it also blocks referrers, web bugs, etc etc. But they do not seem interested in acclimating their product to be compatible with others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.