Online Armor Firewall Shows Strong Promise

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dieselman, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Deleted - part of satire-

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

There's no anti-Anything bias here. The point made above by at least three moderation notes is that this thread's topic is Online Armor, not Zone Alarm, Comodo, which vendors post here and which don't, or the price of gas in CT. All of that is off topic.

Also off topic is replying to and quoting moderation notes themselves. They are not up for discussion. They are meant to document moderation actions and to get people back on track to the appropriate topic of a thread.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Uninstalling OA is easy. I had to do an uninstall/re-install and it was painless. I've also done a ZA clean uninstall. Not painless.

4. Fuzzfas

I hear you! I 've been trying most of the late betas of OA and it only leaves behind some legacy devices registry keys. Pretty clean.

When it comes out of beta, OA will be on the top out there. The only thing i hate is that it doesn't alert you about the IP of the requested connection. I guess it is available in the paid version. The firewall status on the other hand, is very nice feature, flags included. :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  5. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

It can be very painless. Just use Revo Uninstaller. Works like a charm.

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

For the love of Buddha will this never end? LOL. Ok first of all. OA, Comodo, and ZA, all have a different look and feel that I believe is subjective. Each one has its own good points and each one has its glitches. And while all three offer good protection, both Comodo and Online Armor should have some advantages here, but between those two I'm not sure if one has truly been proven to be better than the other one yet. (HIPS wise not Leaktests) Other than this, I have used all three and liked all three, but IMO $49.99 is a lot of money for a security software, especially when one of the other ones is half that price, (ZAAS) and the other is free. Strong promise or not, all three will continue to improve, but only one will remain free forever. ( At least it's been promised that it will be. LOL. ) Now if someone has the money and likes Online Armor, than I say buy it. After all it does show strong promise.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  7. Dieselman

Dude.............$39.00 is cheap. Most good security cost money. NOD32 cost me $39.00. Hell KAV is $59.00. Spending $39 was a good investment for me. Hell I just spent $100 on pc games alone and another $100 on PS games. Things cost money now a days. Free is good but not always the best choice. I my use ZAAS which I got for free but only a year. Comodo is free but it comes with a cost..................hassles. OA is free but limited.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Not quite so. Limited in comparison yes to it's full-featured version of course, thats perfectly logical, a lot of thought, research, testing, and effort goes into coding a better than average security program.

I think is XTREMELY generous of the developer to afford users a FREE version. In my opinion what that does is showcase what would be a solid all-around coverage app (HIPS/FIREWALL) that's also proven topped the test list and makes for a great prelude of even more coverage as encouragement to go FULL for one plug, and offers the user the other option of teaming the FREE model in compliment where it's limitations leaves off, with other free security apps if you happen to be limited from purchasing the whole package.

Says a great deal for the character of it's originator and does deserving credit in honor to it's developer and team if you ask me.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You missed the Christmas OA sale at $29.95. (I didn't):D

10. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

Have you used the Safety Check Wizard, which appears automatically during install? It gives you the chance to mark off which apps on your box you want to mark as "clean" -- and you have all the time you want to check out each one of those apps before marking them as such.

Once you've run SCW, OA will remember what you did. This keeps pop-ups to the barest minimum. Only when you install new programs, add new executibles, or otherwise change such files, will you then get any pop-up. I use OA exclusively in "Advanced" mode, and only get pop-ups when I'm adding or changing executibles.

Certainly no "bombing" going on my machine (currently running 54 processes).

SamSpade

|||

11. Dieselman

Of course I did that but your not me. Your not a gamer with about 200 apps to learn. Even Mike from OA told me in advanced mode you will get bombed cause of various ports. I built my pc and know more then most. I went through the whole set up procedure but it still doesn't flag all your apps. Only some. I switched to Comodo for now. OA is still buggy but they are working hard at things.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Are you getting less pop ups in CFP3 using Advanced Mode (Defense+)?

13. Dieselman

Yup. And it remembers. All I had to do was launch a game once and it remembers. With OA every single time I launch WOW,COD4,TF2 or any other game it keeps asking me permission. I was told to make them trusted but then if you do that it disappears from your list.My pings are also higher with OA cause it seems to filter Punkbusters.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  14. Fuzzfas

1. You can check "Remember" on the pop-up window. At least with beta 60 works. I don't know about the 2.1.0.31.

Or (easier)

2. Before launching you game, right click on the icon and select "learning mode". Then launch your game. No pop ups. It's like SSM's learning mode. Once you played a bit, deactivate learning mode. Your game should now be allowed.

Go to "Programs", uncheck the "Hide Trusted" checkmark. Miracle! Your trusted programs appear and your game should be there. Works for me...

15. Dieselman

Not true. Been there done that.

16. Fuzzfas

Well, at least it's true for me!

Fuzzfas Pictures, present:

The Launching of Shogun Gold Edition with OA in learning mode. IN TECHNICOLOR! :D

It's pretty simple. First i open the program list of OA, to show that in "s" there is no Shogun entry. It's the first time i run the game, because till yesterday i had Kerio installed.

Then i put OA in learning mode. I get to play the game and OA doesn't even blink. After you exit the game, all i had to do was exit learning mode.

Only 5,12MB avi:

http://rapidshare.com/files/83735237/a.avi.html

I guess i m a lucky guy. Maybe you should make a bug report at OA forum to help them with your setup.

17. Dieselman

And I thought you were hung up on ZA. Then Comodo. Then PC Tools. Now OA. What games are you talking about? Are you using advanced mode?

18. Fuzzfas

You thought wrong. Apparently you missed some of the posts deleted...

And i never even said i installed PC Tools in the forum. As a matter of fact, i did later, but didn't write about it in the forum and uninstalled it in a few minutes because i didn't like the interface.

I have used Comodo, but pending files can be a pain. So i went back to Kerio 2. In the last few days i ' ve changed security setup at leat 5 times.

As you can see in the video, i used "learning mode". No advanced mode for me, since i use OA Free, which has advanced mode disabled.

After the game the Shogun entry, was put automatically in the allowed processes in "S":

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9049/34306984db8.png

Just in case someone doubts it, since i interrupted the video before exiting learning mode.

19. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

Well-l-l-l-l... why didn't you say that in your original post!!? All you said was you're getting "bombed". You didn't say you had 200 apps and were gaming. That's a whole different world.

Anyway, glad you could get it straightened out with Mike Nash. As long as everyone is satisfied, that's what counts.

|||

20. Chappy7777

Chappy7777 Registered Member

I am using Linux these days most of the time, and it's free. They will even send you a "Live CD" so you can try it out, and if it works, use the same CD for the install. Setting up for a dualboot is a no brainer, heck, I did it.

Since I just got high speed after all these years, (it's where I live, not the cost) I have no router set up. I ordered one and received the wrong thing.
    Argghh.

If I am going to watch a movie online, or hang out at any sites I am not happy about, I use Linux. For surfing like I am now, I am using XP. Comodo 3 has so far done what it's on here for.

Anyone who hasn't tried this might want to go to Steve Gibson's site, www.grc.org, and run his Shields Up program. It does a great job of trying to hack your PC. If Steve Gibson can't get thru to you, you're likely safe.

21. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

A question here. Does OA free allow ICS in windows XP? I know that ZA free doesn't and I have to turn ZA off and just use Windows Firwall when I want to game with my PS2 online.

22. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I'm not sure what did you mean, but from my experience OA can work on XP machine which is router for other windows machine. Though, this is quite specific task today due to the hw routers.

23. duckbill

duckbill Registered Member

I wasnt try to put down OA in favour of zone alarm, just wanted to point out a few things with OA.
    I,m not getting any alerts when programs access online. I tried it in learning mode with advanced settings but still no luck, can anyone help with this?

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There is a setting you may have checked, on the Options>firewall tab at the top. To automatically allow trusted programs access out. Then if you've trusted the program on the program tab you won't get an alert when the program accesses the web.

Pete

25. duckbill

duckbill Registered Member

i have "automatically allow trusted programs" unchecked but still fail to get alerts. The fact that all new programs are automatically being placed as trusted programs which can access the internet is worrying me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.