Online Armor causes slow boot!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Flatiron, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flatiron

Flatiron Registered Member

Installed OA & everything runs fine except the 2 1/2 minute boot time! :(
    And yes, I've restarted several times.:)
    Before OA it only took 45 seconds to boot.

Any suggestions??
    Or another good free Firewall besides Comodo?
    ----
    Dell Inspiron 530 -- Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8300 (6MB L2 Cache,2.83GHz,1333FSB)
    3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs

Firefox | Opera | Comodo BOClean | SpywareBlaster | ESET NOD32

2. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

Did you do a clean install, or did you upgrade OA from a previous release?

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, there is the free 2 way FW that comes with Vista itself. You could uninstall OA do a big cleanup of your system, defrag registers etc and then just use the Vista FW.

Or as already implied, uninstall the new OA V3 do the major clean up already described and reboot. Then install OA again, make sure Vista FW is off, and reboot again.

Then check the boot time again, after that go to OA support forum for help.

4. Flatiron

Clean install.
    I got this Dell just 2 months ago & have been using the Windows Firewall while waiting on the v3 of OA.

I like OA so much on XP is why I waited.

I'll try an uninstall & install again & let you all know.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm sure there's an answer, so why don't you go to the OA forum and ask the folks who know. Mike may even tell you what to do himself. ;)

6. Escalader

Yes, he might.

But we have found through many betas that a lot of the slow boots are due to 2 things, a seriously clogged up registry and a lack of a good clean defrag which is known to impact all loading times.

The second is left over entries and folders from SW long since thought to be un-installed but still leaving debris behind. Older versions of OA can also have done this and should be cleaned off ! Best to start as if your PC has never seen OA before. All other old SW should be removed, old FW's, suites AV's etc. These things are important to do.

If not as you say over to the support forum!

7. Flatiron

I did right after I posted here & haven't got a response yet.
    I use ERUNT before installing anything so I'm good to go there. I didn't defrag so that could've helped.
    This was the first time I put OA on this machine & have not installed but 10 or less programs on this 2 month old Dell.

OA was the 2nd Firewall installed on this machine, first was Vista Firewall Control & did not like it.

I've read about a few bugs on other forums(slow boot up, not remembering rules to name 2)so I might wait they're worked out.

8. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

10 sec is the difference here (with and w/o). 20 sec in case of OA AV+

9. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

Slowdown Here, Too

Yea, I'm also experiencing a slower startup time with Online Armor installed. I login, then I get the "Welcome" screen for about 10-15 seconds, before I finally get to the desktop.

This is on a brand new Vista Home Premium laptop that I just purchased last month. I've already uninstalled Norton (which was bundled with my laptop :gack: ), done a thorough registry clean + defrag and cleaned + defragmented my hard drive. I've had avast! Home edition installed, but I installed it right after I uninstalled Norton, and experienced no slowdowns. So, given all these reasons, I know that this is something caused by Online Armor.

Now, for some questions:
    • Does anyone know what part (if any) of OA that causes the slowdown?
    • Is it a conflict with avast! Home?
    • Does anyone have any tips on how to improve the startup time?
    There is one other question I have, but it doesn't pertain to the startup slowdown. Does anyone else see that Online Armor is using CPU time? Other than that, OA works very nicely here. I'm pleased with the new features and interface. Given that it's the first release, I'm not too disappointed with the issues. Hopefully a bug fix will be out shortly.

10. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

for me with xp sp3 ,, online aromor " v2.0 & v3.0 " causes freeze on welcome screen for extra 15 seconds , i think this is abit annoying
    this reminds me the everlasting zonealarm problem

11. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey there,

I'm also testing the new OA free version 3.0.190 on a spare PC equipped with a 2.8GHz P4 HT, 100GB HD and 2GB RAM and I've also noticed the slow boot problem.

At the beginning I thought it was related to the Learning Mode of the firewall/HIPS but after 7 or 8 reboots the problem has stayed the same.

It would be good for the OA developers to take note of that bug so they can fix it in a new release of that FW.

Best regards,

Carlos

12. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Reading all this I checked the time from cold start on this box till a ready desktop without hourglass, running XP3.

Autostarts on this setup:

Online Armor Premium
    MBAM Pro
    WinPatrol Plus
    LinkScanner Pro
    HostMan

This took exactly 63 seconds. I don't know if this is slow or fast but I am satisfied with this.

Gerard

13. Escalader

My boot time is 60 seconds with xp sp3, OA Premiuim , NOD32, Roboform, SAS Pro. I'm okay with this as well.

Just browsing through some of the posts many are for vista not xp so we are really not doing an apples to apples compare. As well the CPU/RAM HDD speeds and capacities impact boot time AND what services user leaves on automatic.

The only way I can think of KNOWing my OA boot time impact is to measure it from power button on to desktop up with no hourglass without OA on the PC.

Then install OA set it up go through Learning mode reboot and measure boot time again.

Then you will know. Otherwise it's like taking your body temperature while immersed in a hot tub:cool:

14. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I've tried the new OA firewall with Vista (no SP 1) and XP/SP 2. With either operating system, I experience considerably longer boot time and slower surfing than I'm willing to accept. I'm currently using PC Tools ver. 4 and find it to be faster in every respect using IE 7, Firefox 3, or Chrome. I like Online Armor and have used it in the past, but I'll wait on this version until the bugs are worked out.

BTW: I just visited the PC Tools website and they have a link to download version 5. I intend to give it a test run soon.

15. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I am using the new OA free version with Avira Premium and DefenseWall. Not experiencing any slow boot or browsing issues here with Vista Home Premium SP1.

Prior to this setup I was using KIS 2009. Boot times and browsing speed are pretty much the same for each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.